Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

1 hour ago, SecretVillaScout said:

I think we can challenge for the title next season

If you look at the results since Unai joined and you add one or two £40-60m players in there this summer… then we could be up there and make it very interesting! We’ll all be in total dreamland if we’re anywhere near the top four at this stage next year, such amazing times! Love it!

Edited by alreadyexists

9 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:
19 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

I've been in Liverpool the last 2 days and their fans weren't even aware we were above them. 

The ones within earshot of me are well aware :D

Yeah, GV if the Liverpool fans didn’t know we were above them, are they really hardcore football fans.  I think we can all name the teams around us as fans, to say otherwise either they aren’t that big of football fans or they are lying.  

Even my mates back in Australia who are Man U, Liverpool, some other PL clubs along with Sligo Rovers and QPR have said to me since the weekend how well we are doing to get 6th at the moment above Pool and Chelsea.  So I’m not buying the Liverpool fans you have spoken to are being totally serious.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah, GV if the Liverpool fans didn’t know we were above them, are they really hardcore football fans.  I think we can all name the teams around us as fans, to say otherwise either they aren’t that big of football fans or they are lying.  

Even my mates back in Australia who are Man U, Liverpool, some other PL clubs along with Sligo Rovers and QPR have said to me since the weekend how well we are doing to get 6th at the moment above Pool and Chelsea.  So I’m not buying the Liverpool fans you have spoken to are being totally serious.

I just don't think Liverpool are bothered about finishing in the Europa League. And why would they? I mean, they won the Champions League a few years ago.

I'm not saying the club wouldn't rather Europe over not Europe, but they won't be feeling any extra pressure to qualify for it, no matter what we do against Newcastle. 

38 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I just don't think Liverpool are bothered about finishing in the Europa League. And why would they? I mean, they won the Champions League a few years ago.

I'm not saying the club wouldn't rather Europe over not Europe, but they won't be feeling any extra pressure to qualify for it, no matter what we do against Newcastle. 

The Europa League maybe, but I can’t imagine the any of the fan, club or players want to be in the Europa Conference. The stick they would get from a United fans alone wouldn’t be worth it.

4 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I said it earlier in this thread, it could go all the way to that last game at home against Brighton.

It is that close at the moment and likely will be until the last day.

Atmosphere would be immense for a final fixture at home!

Agreed! We have a great chance of making it.

The pessimistic Villa fans don't seem to want us to do it. they don't want to be proven wrong. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

The pessimistic Villa fans don't seem to want us to do it. they don't want to be proven wrong. 

Weird isn't it, call it pessimism or negativity but people need a mentality shift.

• Like 2

We have no chance according to talkSPORT. When they did the review of all 20 teams on Hawksbee and Jacobs earlier, they alluded to the fact that we are playing poorly and winning. Nobody would be surprised if we had lost 5-2 at Chelsea and also the next eight games, apart from the local derby with wolves are all against teams who will probably beat us. Apparently if we get a few players in in the summer we can be optimistic about next season.

16 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

We have no chance according to talkSPORT. When they did the review of all 20 teams on Hawksbee and Jacobs earlier, they alluded to the fact that we are playing poorly and winning. Nobody would be surprised if we had lost 5-2 at Chelsea and also the next eight games, apart from the local derby with wolves are all against teams who will probably beat us. Apparently if we get a few players in in the summer we can be optimistic about next season.

That’d be the same TalkSPORT who said we’d struggle to attract a better calibre of manager than Gerrard? Best ignore them lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I said it earlier in this thread, it could go all the way to that last game at home against Brighton.

It is that close at the moment and likely will be until the last day.

Atmosphere would be immense for a final fixture at home!

I think this is going to be the case. We have such a tough run in, probably the worst of anyone around us. But Brighton have to play arsenal, city, United and Newcastle before us.

Edited by IrishVilla10

56 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

I think that really only covers a small minority of people.  I think most "pessimists" are probably just worried about getting too excited and then being disappointed..... again.

I was quite pessimistic at the start of this season (predicted that we would finish 12th), also when Emery took over (only so much a manager can do) and at the end of the transfer window (missed the chance to strengthen and give us a shot of challenging the top 8 or 9).  I am very happy indeed that Emery and the team have done so much over the last few months to prove me wrong.  Keep it coming I say!!!! 

• Like 2

Chelsea has a big say in the European places and title race. They play Brighton, Brentford, Newcastle and Utd. They play Arsenal and City aswell. 
I doubt Newcastle or Utd have a free fall, but anything could happen. Liverpool could win all of their games and overtake one of them. So we’ll have to consider everyone (as much as I doubt Fulham would be back to the race). Chelsea are capable to go to a winning run, but gladly they have a tough run. Hopefully they can stop our rivals beginning with Brighton. If we can win against Newcastle we can breath a bit and keep a good distance from Chelsea while seeing what happens with others. A lot of things can happen. These 6 pointers can either be good or bad or in between. Let’s see where all this takes us to.

9 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Chelsea has a big say in the European places and title race. They play Brighton, Brentford, Newcastle and Utd. They play Arsenal and City aswell. 
I doubt Newcastle or Utd have a free fall, but anything could happen. Liverpool could win all of their games and overtake one of them. So we’ll have to consider everyone (as much as I doubt Fulham would be back to the race). Chelsea are capable to go to a winning run, but gladly they have a tough run. Hopefully they can stop our rivals beginning with Brighton. If we can win against Newcastle we can breath a bit and keep a good distance from Chelsea while seeing what happens with others. A lot of things can happen. These 6 pointers can either be good or bad or in between. Let’s see where all this takes us to.

The problem with Chelsea is they’ve appointed lampard, so I’ll be very surprised if they win many games. 

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

In all honesty every word Jacobs spouts I take with a pinch of salt - the guy is clueless imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

To be fair, we are going to have to play a lot better than we have been to keep winning games. That said, we are capable of much stronger performances.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

To be fair, we are going to have to play a lot better than we have been to keep winning games. That said, we are capable of much stronger performances.

Do we? Even when we are playing badly we have little spells and we know how to score, a trait some of our upcoming opponents don’t. We are starting to get into a habit of not conceding either.  Obviously we want to play better but Emery has a knack of getting us goals even when we don’t play well.  Hopefully a mute point and we play better but it’s hard to be critical when we keep winning even if not playing well and scoring regularly.  If our defence can continue to keep the goals out then I don’t mind about the rest because I know we can score and we do create chances even when not playing well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allani said:

I think that really only covers a small minority of people.  I think most "pessimists" are probably just worried about getting too excited and then being disappointed..... again.

I was quite pessimistic at the start of this season (predicted that we would finish 12th), also when Emery took over (only so much a manager can do) and at the end of the transfer window (missed the chance to strengthen and give us a shot of challenging the top 8 or 9).  I am very happy indeed that Emery and the team have done so much over the last few months to prove me wrong.  Keep it coming I say!!!! 

Yes we know this game can kick you in the teeth so I won't get carried away.  Seen it too many times over the years. 

• Like 1