Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Look at this wet wipe

Aston Villa - BBC Sport

We asked for your views on Saturday's Premier League game between Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest.

Here are some of your comments:

Aston Villa fans

Richard: Another great victory. After several seasons Villa have a top quality manager and a squad good enough to stay clear of the relegation battle. With a few sensible additions Villa will certainly improve on this season. Personally I hope we don't get European football next season, it will give Emery a chance to build his own squad without the distraction.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

That is such a strange attitude. Getting into Europe again immediately lifts our prestige and allows us bring in a higher profile player. We can also use European football to blood some of the younger players. It also increases revenue.

It is a no brainer. In the 90s it was considered more or less a failure if we didn't qualify for Europe. That began to slip in the 2000s. Now it's been 13 years since we played in Europe. We have an opportunity to get back into the elite.

Absolutely agree; only several weeks ago I was ridiculed for thinking there was a mathematical possibility of European football.

Some Villa fans are way too negative; I'm glad those ones aren't the manager.

If we do manage to get Europe we have an Elite manager, money to spend and pre-season to implement tactics etc.

The longer we stay out of Europe the harder it will be to get back in to those European places.

• Like 2

I think we'll struggle to get top 7. Liverpool have a piss easy run in. Could easily win all of their games.

Brighton don't have too many difficult ones and have 2 games in hand over us. We need to be 2 behind going into last game which seems very difficult at this stage. 

8th would still be a sensational finish 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think we'll struggle to get top 7. Liverpool have a piss easy run in. Could easily win all of their games.

Brighton don't have too many difficult ones and have 2 games in hand over us. We need to be 2 behind going into last game which seems very difficult at this stage. 

I’m hopping for fatigue from Brighton players due to fixture congestion, and hoping liverpool and their players don’t want Europa once CL is out of the equation.

40 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Brighton still have to go to Chelsea, Newcastle, Arsenal and us in their away games so I wouldn't say that's an easy tun. Also got both Manchester clubs still to play at home.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

That is such a strange attitude. Getting into Europe again immediately lifts our prestige and allows us bring in a higher profile player. We can also use European football to blood some of the younger players. It also increases revenue.

It is a no brainer. In the 90s it was considered more or less a failure if we didn't qualify for Europe. That began to slip in the 2000s. Now it's been 13 years since we played in Europe. We have an opportunity to get back into the elite.

Indeed.  I can kind of see why he might be concerned that extra games with a small squad might make next season harder (Wolves and West Ham being obvious cases where the extra matches have probably not helped their league form).  However, I think it is something that will make it much easier for Unai, Lange and the board to get in some of the more ambitious targets over the summer.  Three new good signings (and hopefully injury free seasons for Boubs and Carlos) will add significant depth to our squad and should make it much easier to deal with the extra matches.  Especially when you look at how players like Mings, McGinn and Ollie have transformed their form in recent weeks and dare I say that Bertie looks like he is back in contention too.  I mean when you take all of those factors into consideration it is almost like we'd have 8 or 9 new signings - with the added benefit that 5 or 6 of them are already settled at the club, settled in the area and so have no acclimitisation period to deal with.  Oh and we have a manager with massive European experience who is used to getting smallish squads through decent cup runs without it destroying our league form.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Brighton still have to go to Chelsea, Newcastle, Arsenal and us in their away games so I wouldn't say that's an easy tun. Also got both Manchester clubs still to play at home.

Plus games in hand at this point in the season - just mean even more matches to fit into a compressed timescale.  Their season ends the same day as ours and they will have more weeks of weekend, mid-week, weekend matches.  This late in the season that is going to be tough to get through.  Obviously if they win both of those matches then they are in a strong position but I think that really they are probably 2 or 3 points ahead of us rather than 5.

• Like 1

I said it earlier in this thread, it could go all the way to that last game at home against Brighton.

It is that close at the moment and likely will be until the last day.

Atmosphere would be immense for a final fixture at home!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, allani said:

Plus games in hand at this point in the season - just mean even more matches to fit into a compressed timescale.  Their season ends the same day as ours and they will have more weeks of weekend, mid-week, weekend matches.  This late in the season that is going to be tough to get through.  Obviously if they win both of those matches then they are in a strong position but I think that really they are probably 2 or 3 points ahead of us rather than 5.

Their easiest away is Forest judged by league position. They play them 72 hours after the cup SF which will take plenty so actually think that's a game Forest need to be targeting to win as Brighton will have to rotate.

I think our general target now needs to be to stay above Brighton. If we do that we'll be in europe next season (unless Brighton win the FA cup of course!)

47 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I’m hopping for fatigue from Brighton players due to fixture congestion, and hoping liverpool and their players don’t want Europa once CL is out of the equation.

Liverpool need Europa for financial reasons. Players have contracts where their pay is linked to European competition so they'll be gunning for top 6. 

Also they'll want momentum to end the season so they can carry it over into next.

46 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Ah yes, not on BBC fixtures but their two games in hand are City and Newcastle so two very tough fixtures. 

This weekend is huge so. If we can get something from Newcastle and they lose to Chelsea 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If we can get say 3 points ahead of them this weekend that means we can have a 5 point swing to end of season and still give us chance for Europe of we beat them at VP

Brighton are 1 point behind us, they play Chelsea. Not overly confident Chelsea will get a result against them. We need to beat Newcastle otherwise Brighton will likely overtake us this weekend.

If we can get a win this weekend it really is all systems go. I know we have United, Liverpool and Spurs but Newcastle could easily be our most difficult game left. 

Somehow get 3 points from Newcastle - and then if they draw with Spurs the following week - would be perfect.

It's very unlikely (as we play Newcastle/Brentford and they play Bournemouth) but possible we go into the final 6 games 1 point behind Spurs, with us still to play them at Villa Park.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I said it earlier in this thread, it could go all the way to that last game at home against Brighton.

It is that close at the moment and likely will be until the last day.

Atmosphere would be immense for a final fixture at home!

I for one was sceptical that we could make Europe, so now I’m so pleased to have been proved wrong as even if we don’t make it, from this point anything is possible! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I for one was sceptical that we could make Europe, so now I’m so pleased to have been proved wrong as even if we don’t make it, from this point anything is possible! 

I think we can challenge for the title next season

• Like 1

All depends on Saturday imo. The last three results have been excellent obviously but the performances have not been our best of the season by any means and we have received some luck. It's a congested period so I'm not concerned about it at all in the long term, but I'd hope to see an improvement on Saturday with a full week of training and preparation. That in my opinion will be a good indication of where we're at currently.

If we win or even draw, we can all start to go a bit mad. If we lose but put in a strong effort like we did against Arsenal, I'd still have confidence for taking a shot at top seven.

Edited by jayEm