Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

This is really exciting, these will all be massive games in the run up. If we manage to beat Newcastle, the excitement is gonna go through the roof.

100% - I'll take a beating based on us executing our game plan and falling short - but I don't think we'll fold often. Really looking forward to these games. Viva Don Emery! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

I’m sure I seen someone in this thread post an image that showed we statistically have the 2nd hardest run of fixtures. So although Brighton might have a difficult one, so do we.

I think we’ve the most difficult run in out of anyone around us 

I am as hopeful as any.  But I also have to say that when Unai took over, I thought it would be a good goal to end top half.  I hope for Europe, but I'm also trying to brace myself that if we miss out on Europe, but get very close, that's still an incredibly good season.  Unai and the lads have done well.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I'm also trying to brace myself that if we miss out on Europe, but get very close, that's still an incredibly good season.

Oh, don't even try -- just give in, with a foolish wild heart, and let yourself face the full-frontal joy and/or anguish of whatever happens next ... and besides, anyone "bracing themselves," well, sorry, your card is already stamped #AVFC4EVER and there's no bracing one's self, not really, is there?  😉

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Our European Rivals dropped 2 points at home. Good result for Villa.

Speaking of "Our European Rivals" in a completely different sense, do we, Aston Villa, have a Continent-based club we always hate and who hate us?

7 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Indeed, and this is something that worries me. We are sixth at the moment so I think people's expectations are getting ahead of them. In reality, two teams below us have games in hand and we have a terrible goal difference and a challenging run-in. If we finish 8th, it will be a brilliant result. What we don't want is people being disillusioned with 8th and taking it out on Unai now that we have seen the bright lights of 6th. Anything better than 8th is an exceptional achievement. 

Ron Saunders took us from seventh in 1979-80 to the division title next season, and also from 16th in 75-76 to fourth the next campaign. I only mention because history seems to like a pattern where a good manager gets us "teed up" one year for a powerful drive the next.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

I am as hopeful as any.  But I also have to say that when Unai took over, I thought it would be a good goal to end top half.  I hope for Europe, but I'm also trying to brace myself that if we miss out on Europe, but get very close, that's still an incredibly good season.  Unai and the lads have done well.

Yep, I said it’s on if we got 4 points from our last two and we got 6!

So…. Now it’s on! 
I think 4 wins will do it, enjoy the ride.

3 hours ago, Jareth said:

Nah - we'll give them a game, whoever they are. The only teams we should fear are the Arse and Citeh. We can compete with everyone else. 

I’m sure we will, but our run in is harder than Brightons on paper.

45DE8E10-C01C-4E44-9399-03AE11A670DD.png

Edited by duke313
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

I think 4 wins will do it, enjoy the ride.

I’m not sure that will be enough. Fully expect Liverpool to pick up and get 60+ points.

Brighton I think have a chance of doing the same. Reckon they finish somewhere either side of 60.

So 5 wins from last 8 guarantees at least 62 points. More than likely gets us 7th. Maybe gets us 6th.

16 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

I’m not sure that will be enough. Fully expect Liverpool to pick up and get 60+ points.

Brighton I think have a chance of doing the same. Reckon they finish somewhere either side of 60.

So 5 wins from last 8 guarantees at least 62 points. More than likely gets us 7th. Maybe gets us 6th.

5 wins will be a tough ask. 

11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

5 wins will be a tough ask. 

Yeah, I think 3 wins and a draw from Fulham, Brentford, Wolves and Spurs. An extra win over Liverpool or United would be incredible. I actually think the game we are least likely to win is Newcastle. Liverpool and Brighton to finish 6th/7th with us and Brentford fighting it out in the last couple of weeks for 8th/9th. 

Who know though? If we did beat Newcastle, I would really start to believe we could do it. 

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Based on underestimating us and overestimating our opponents. I imagine if fixture difficulty prognostication were true Leicester didn't win the league several seasons ago

18 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Liverpool and Brighton to finish 6th/7th with us and Brentford fighting it out in the last couple of weeks for 8th/9th. 

Nah, Brentford can be forgotten about unless we have a mini-collapse.  They are already 4 points behind us and have a harder run in. 

It’s between Liverpool, Brighton and Villa for 6th and 7th.  With an outside chance of one of the teams catching Spurs, just because of their manager position anything could happen to them. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Nah, Brentford can be forgotten about unless we have a mini-collapse.  They are already 4 points behind us and have a harder run in. 

It’s between Liverpool, Brighton and Villa for 6th and 7th.  With an outside chance of one of the teams catching Spurs, just because of their manager position anything could happen to them. 

Well yeah that would be amazing, if Spurs completely collapsed and finished 8th, a dynamic I hadn’t considered.

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

Outside of Arsenal and Man City we absolutely can beat any of the other teams. So yes it is a tough run in but we arent that team that cant play better sides anymore. Under the whole of Gerrards time in charge we didnt beat a top 6 side. Weve already beaten Man U, spurs, Brighton etc and now need to beat them again.

• Like 2

I’m hoping Brighton get to the FA cup final so start having eyes on that game.  

Ultimately it’s in our hand and I think we need to be better than the we have been in the last 2 games to continue our good run considering the opponents.

Really interesting to see how we do against Newcastle who are flying at the moment.

3 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Outside of Arsenal and Man City we absolutely can beat any of the other teams. So yes it is a tough run in but we arent that team that cant play better sides anymore. Under the whole of Gerrards time in charge we didnt beat a top 6 side. Weve already beaten Man U, spurs, Brighton etc and now need to beat them again.

Of course we can beat top sides, anybody can beat anybody in the PL on their day, but can we do it consistently? We’re about to find out.

We’re about to play teams who are having as good as or better seasons than us. They’re up there for a reason.

The next two games are massive, Newcastle have only failed to get any points in two away games (City & Liverpool) and Brentford have only been beaten twice at home (Arsenal & Newcastle). We could easily get no points in those games.

• Like 1