Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

18 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

I told you guys from a while back it’s on. We will finish top 7!

Bet you got told this team is not good enough for Europe and to stop dreaming, but in reality it was the manager not good enough. Always thought if a manager can come in and get this team grafting and working hard, it's a top 8 side. I have been proved right.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

At the end of the day, everything is in our own hands. We keep winning with 6 pointers in virtually all our remaining games and we go to Europe next season. Newcastle isn't an unwinnable game as they haven't won at VP since 2013. Stay positive UTV. 

That’s embarrassing for them. Not sure how they didn’t pick up at least 1 win during our banter years. 

39 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

There are a lot of similarities between us and Saudi Arabia atm, but I think it is only realistic to say they are ahead of us in their transformation.

They've had their dip as well, so their wave is climbing again. As per some of the other comments, I agree that we can win, just not sure we will.

Obviously it would be great to do them, but I won't be gutted if we don't, happy to see the gradual improvements and trust the process.

Yes, our run is reminiscent of the surge they went on last season.

I think both us and them, will potentially be knocking out a couple of the traditional top 4/5/6/7/8 next season.

Looking at the table yesterday reminded me of good times. When we were neck and neck with the likes of Tottenham and Moyes Everton, but we made terrible decisions and went the opposite direction.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Haven't we beaten Newcastle three years running at VP? Of course different players but that sort of run at away grounds tends to play on clubs minds as we've seen with us at West Ham year in year out.

I think it will be a low scoring draw, feels about right for where we both are currently. It's very annoying Newcastle have suddenly won 5 on the spin just as we've hit form as they were in very indifferent form around the cup final and I was hoping they'd struggle to recover from losing that game but clearly not, that Forest last minute penalty changed everything for them.

Yeah 1-1 seems reasonable. On Newcastle's results at VP, of course you're right about the past, but they must have had a lot of such stats that they've already broken this season!

Our last 7 games have been against teams currently below us. Still a great achievement to beat 6 of them, but it will be this next run of games where we get either a reality check or a genuine indication that we can keep climbing the table.

IMO we are probably the 7th best side in the division atm, so objectively you’d expect us to drop a few points, but Emery is a genius at dismantling a good side so maybe something special will happen. A win against an in form Newcastle would really set us up for European qualification.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, KMitch said:

I did one of those fixture predictor things and here's where it stands right before the Liverpool game.  I think the battle for 6th, 7th, & 8th will come down to the last two games of the season where we play Liverpool away and Brighton at home.  Brighton play Southampton in week 37, so it's a dead ringer they'll win that, putting us 2 points behind them (if we lose to Liverpool), 1 point behind them (if we draw to Liverpool), or a point ahead if we win.  I would love to see Villa Park packed to the rafters in a showdown with Brighton for a European place on the line, winner take all.  

image.thumb.png.e72d07320d20ff016260f0436133bb8d.png

Somewhat unrelated but I would anticipate the Arsenal fan channels would take this scenario with the good grace and quiet dignity they are known for.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Our last 7 games have been against teams currently below us. Still a great achievement to beat 6 of them, but it will be this next run of games where we get either a reality check or a genuine indication that we can keep climbing the table.

IMO we are probably the 7th best side in the division atm, so objectively you’d expect us to drop a few points, but Emery is a genius at dismantling a good side so maybe something special will happen. A win against an in form Newcastle would really set us up for European qualification.

Big few weeks coming up. I’d be happy with 4 losses if it meant 4 wins.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Big few weeks coming up. I’d be happy with 4 losses if it meant 4 wins.

I know what you mean but that really feels like undervaluing us and how we are playing.  I’d say I wouldn’t be disappointed if that happened but 4 defeats seems a lot despite the teams we are playing.  4 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses and I’d be happy?

Just now, nick76 said:

I know what you mean but that really feels like undervaluing us and how we are playing.  I’d say I wouldn’t be disappointed if that happened but 4 defeats seems a lot despite the teams we are playing.  4 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses and I’d be happy?

61 points, would be good enough to get 7th at least I reckon, possibly 6th.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

61 points, would be good enough to get 7th at least I reckon, possibly 6th.

Yep, I was thinking it would be awesome to get 6 number to start with points wise and the way we are playing I’m hoping not to lose more than two.  I’d love to go the rest of the season undefeated even there were a lot of draws but that maybe too unrealistic so getting over the 60 point mark is the aim.

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It’s hard to say. Teams we’ve beat recently are all below us. Teams we play are all on similar points or more. Will be hard to maintain the unbeaten streak. 

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It’s hard to say. Teams we’ve beat recently are all below us. Teams we play are all on similar points or more. Will be hard to maintain the unbeaten streak. 

Chelsea were above us when we beat them surely?

We've beaten Man. United, Brighton and Spurs at other stages of the season under UE who were comfortably above us at the time.

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

In fairness, Chelsea were above us when we played them

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Chelsea were above us when we beat them surely?

We've beaten Man. United, Brighton and Spurs at other stages of the season under UE who were comfortably above us at the time.

3 minutes ago, picicata said:

In fairness, Chelsea were above us when we played them

Technically, yes. We were only 1 or 2 points behind them though and they are shit.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Technically, yes. We were only 1 or 2 points behind them though and they are shit.

Yes. But technically we only have to play three teams that are currently above us, so quite an easy run in really!

I jest, it's going to be tough but we shouldn't fear any game.

23 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I agree.  The thing that gives me hope of not being four defeats is that while we will be playing better teams, less are currently in good form.  Obviously exceptions like Newcastle and Man U.  

Who knows!  We could beat Liverpool and Man U but lose to Brentford and Fulham knowing us 😂 it’s just nice going into games knowing there is a chance we’ll take three points.

Edited by nick76