Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

In sours case (and you might laugh) but richarldson. He at world cup was played up top and that showed where he is best form was. They have son who also has done well there.

Arsenal have jesus martenelli ans trossard all can play there. Nit to mention ESR

Newcastle have isak and wilson. We are short i think. Its not just the injuries the run in isnt easy the points return dor 6th would have to be absolutely remarkable for us to finosh 6th in my opinion. Not impossible but unlikely 

Have you seen Son at any point this season? He's lost half a yard of pace so that's critical for the level he's shown last 5 years. Richarlison's best form at Everton always came with Calvert-Lewin in the team so can't see Spurs just gambling on him to replace Kane, they'll get a big name replacement in I reckon. Someone like Oshimen would be perfect but I doubt he'll consider Spurs if they don't make CL.

Ollie is one of the most robust forwards we've ever had so I think we'll get through the run in with him o.k as bar this week and when we play Fulham we're playing once a week.

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

My guess is as follows;

Top four: Arsenal, City, Newcastle, United.

5th Liverpool on 74 pts

6th Brighton on 64 pts

7th Spurs on 63 pts

8th Villa on 60 pts

9th Brentford on 56 pts (lots of draws for them)

I've been a bit harsh on Villa because we have a small squad and I can see a few draws in there, but not losing much.  

I'd be happy to see 60pts! 

I'd love to see those Liverpool predictions! They've won 3 away games all season. I think they'll struggle to get to 60 points personally so we've got a decent chance to finish above them imo (saying that they'll probably beat Arsenal 4-0 at the weekend).

Just now, VillaChris said:

Have you seen Son at any point this season? He's lost half a yard of pace so that's critical for the level he's shown last 5 years. Richarlison's best form at Everton always came with Calvert-Lewin in the team so can't see Spurs just gambling on him to replace Kane, they'll get a big name replacement in I reckon. Someone like Oshimen would be perfect but I doubt he'll consider Spurs if they don't make CL.

Ollie is one of the most robust forwards we've ever had so I think we'll get through the run in with him o.k as bar this week and when we play Fulham we're playing once a week.

Yeah but kanes not exactly quick either, you dont need pace for kanes position. Its not just the pace its the style of play that conte played just wasnt right for son.

I agree about your point with ricardlson though. But i do think he isnt a wide player like spurs have been playing him more a striker. Thats his best position for me.

Hope so with ollie but all it takes is a bad tackle and that's it. Freak injuries happen look at what happened to carlos!

Just now, VillaChris said:

I'd love to see those Liverpool predictions! They've won 3 away games all season. I think they'll struggle to get to 60 points personally so we've got a decent chance to finish above them imo (saying that they'll probably beat Arsenal 4-0 at the weekend).

Ha, I know.  

I've got them winning 9 and drawing 2.

They don't deserve that trust, but I can see them going on a run.. why? I'm not sure.

Got them to beat Chelsea (not hard :lol:)

Draw Arsenal (they'll raise their game I think.. could easily get beat though)

Beat Leeds, forest, west ham, spurs, Fulham

Draw Vs Brentford

Win Vs Leicester, villa :( and Southampton 

Still pretty sure 8th is our ceiling for this season, but that's incredible in itself. I'll still be delighted with anything in the top half, so it's all gravy. But a couple more wins this week and who knows where we might be - haven't felt this optimistic about the club since the MO'N days.

For all the stop-start this season (and maybe because of that) it is an extraordinary season so far. Relegation battle is getting really tense (and a joy to watch from above). Winners and CL places still completely unknown and everyone else fighting for the last European places. Into April and not a single team has nothing to play for - don't think that's been the case before.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah but kanes not exactly quick either, you dont need pace for kanes position. Its not just the pace its the style of play that conte played just wasnt right for son.

I agree about your point with ricardlson though. But i do think he isnt a wide player like spurs have been playing him more a striker. Thats his best position for me.

Hope so with ollie but all it takes is a bad tackle and that's it. Freak injuries happen look at what happened to carlos!

Son scored 19 premier league goals last season from when Conte came in early November 2021.

I just think he's finally declining now at 31.

11 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Ha, I know.  

I've got them winning 9 and drawing 2.

They don't deserve that trust, but I can see them going on a run.. why? I'm not sure.

Got them to beat Chelsea (not hard :lol:)

Draw Arsenal (they'll raise their game I think.. could easily get beat though)

Beat Leeds, forest, west ham, spurs, Fulham

Draw Vs Brentford

Win Vs Leicester, villa :( and Southampton 

They finish on 71 points with that total....

They lost to Leeds at Anfield and only beat West Ham 1-0 (with West Ham missing a penalty) so I don't see those aways as straightforward at all.

Hopefully Chelsea rouse themselves without Potter and can at least get a draw.

We're well set up currently to get a draw with them at Anfield as we won't park our defence on halfway line as we did at VP.

A few draws and suddenly they're in the mid 60s range.

6 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Still pretty sure 8th is our ceiling for this season, but that's incredible in itself. I'll still be delighted with anything in the top half, so it's all gravy. But a couple more wins this week and who knows where we might be - haven't felt this optimistic about the club since the MO'N days.

For all the stop-start this season (and maybe because of that) it is an extraordinary season so far. Relegation battle is getting really tense (and a joy to watch from above). Winners and CL places still completely unknown and everyone else fighting for the last European places. Into April and not a single team has nothing to play for - don't think that's been the case before.

This is a really good point, and I was thinking about this the other day. Last 10 games of the season is normally the point in Fantasy when I switch from backing players who are up against relegation zone sides and move more to backing players against whichever team is 'on the beach'. It occurred to me I haven't really heard the phrase 'on the beach' yet this season and it's not clear when it will start applying. Maybe Fulham if they kind of give up, maybe Palace if/when they win another game or two. But most teams still have a lot to play for as you say. 

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

They lost to Leeds at Anfield and only beat West Ham 1-0 (with West Ham missing a penalty) so I don't see those aways as straightforward at all.

We're well set up currently to get a draw with them at Anfield as we won't park our defence on halfway line as we did at VP.

So they do! 71 points I mean.

I think it's my pessimistic Villa protection shield were I bet against us to lose and then I can't be hurt by the hope failing 🤕

I certainly don't think any of the scores are dead certs, you'd hope a few lower teams can pick themselves up and get points, we know this isn't a great Liverpool side.  It's just my first glance guess work! :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Son best form ever came under Conte

The fact that we are even in the frame for Europe is a miracle itself, considering we wasted 13 games under you know who.  Europe this season will be a bonus, but next season is where we gatecrach the party.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Son scored 19 premier league goals last season from when Conte came in early November 2021.

I just think he's finally declining now at 31.

Its a weird one isnt it. Last season it looked like son fitted into contes style but this year its not usiting him at all. There is a argument fir sure about poor form but i think there is problems behind the scenes there with conte being part of that.

Be interesting to see how son does under the next manager

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Id argue it was under poch. He was certainly more consistent under him not been excllent one season and absymal the next

Conte and Mourinho got better seasons out of him than Poch

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

That game was as far away from a "thumping" 4-2 result as you can possibly get. If anything, we were desperately unlucky to lose. Two of the goals for them were literally delivered on a silver platter through mistakes from playing out from the back. 

Leicester are a horrible team at the moment, they haven't won a game in 6, scoring only 3 goals and losing 5 games in that run and we should be heading into that game with massive confidence. They are in the bin and managerless. 

It will be a massive test of how far we've come under Emery if we don't pull a classic Villa and cock up against a side who cannot buy a win. 

You're right about them getting lucky, but we conceded 4 goals, which is horrendous, the mistakes made it worse for me.  Leicester have a habit of getting these results against us. And now they have sacked Rodgers there may well be a rebound. They certainly have good enough players to hurt us.