Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

On 12/03/2023 at 15:20, AshVilla said:

Europe is a pipedream.

We have far too many jokers in our team who are simply not good enough to be top 10 let alone top 6.

That aged well... 

6 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

It’s all about next season. However we could get some bonuses this season too. The barcodes are out of reach now after that win - both in terms of points and the psychological boost they’ll get. 

The players now know that Don Unai is here to win things and get CL. Someone mentioned in the match or post match thread that he has instilled a belief and some big bollocks in the camp. 

Heart says 6th head says 8th. Either way a magnificent season after ‘ol look me in the eye nearly destroyed the whole campaign.

If, and it’s a big IF, the team that started against Chelsea can stay fit, we have a chance. An injury to McGinn, Watkins, Martinez, Kamara, Luiz etc. in the form they’re in, would really set us back. 

With Coutinho and Cash to come back too, we will have a few more options. It’s all about setting us up for the finish. Win against Leicester and Forest and we go into the final 8 matches playing all the teams around us. It’s a dogfight then. Momentum is key. 

• Like 2

The best option for us, realistically, is the following:

Top four without Manchester United take 4 places in Cl.

Two teams ahead of us in the table are playing the FA Cup final. (United vs City)

United, who are likely to finish ahead of us in the table, win the Europa league.

The following teams then get a place in the CL:

Arsenal
City
Newcastle
Tottenham
United, winner of EL

Europa League:
Brighton
Liverpool, the fa cup place.

Conference league:
Brentford, place to league cup winners United.

Up to us to climb at least up to 8th

33 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We just have to keep winning.

Sage advice. The more games we win, the more possible chances there are of finishing high enough. We now have two very 'winnable' games, but unless we win both (at the *very* least, win one) it won't matter anyway. What is in our hands is our own performances and our own results. That's it. 

23 minutes ago, villa82 said:

Two teams ahead of us in the table are playing the FA Cup final. (United vs City)

United, who are likely to finish ahead of us in the table, win the Europa league.

Arsenal
City
Newcastle
Tottenham
United, winner of EL

Europa League:
Brighton

Conference league:

What if Chelsea win the CL and West Ham win the EC?

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

What if Chelsea win the CL and West Ham win the EC?

If Chelsea win Champions League they qualify for next season and England gets a 5th team. Germany had 5 teams in Champions League this season

If West Ham win they go to Europa League

1 minute ago, villa82 said:

If United win the EL we dont want Chelsea as CL winners. 

West ham, dont’t know.

Think you can only have 5 max per country in CL. If Chelsea won CL, and United won EL and finished 5th, then those two plus top 3 are in CL next season. 4th demoted to EL.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's very hard to imagine Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs being as much as a shambles next season as they are right now.

To get into Europe is a completely unfair expectation considering the state of us when Emery started, but it's going to be a much tougher job next season

Spurs will be I reckon if Kane is off. Very very hard to replace that type of CF and Son isn't the same force as he was two years back. When you look at their defence and midfield that's a huge job for a new manager to keep them 6th.

Liverpool will be back up there if they actually sign some midfielders. Chelsea is roll of a dice but they certainly won't be 11th going into April 2024.

Can see Arsenal dropping off a fair bit being back in CL. Went out of both domestic cups early so given with europa group stage being a breeze they've been playing just once a week for 3/4 of the season and will lose intensity if they win the league.

We're on a very nice trajectory regardless. Not far off the run Newcastle went on last Feb right through to end of the season. They signed very well in the summer and started the season where they left off so we need to do the same.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Spurs will be I reckon if Kane is off. Very very hard to replace that type of CF and Son isn't the same force as he was two years back. When you look at their defence and midfield that's a huge job for a new manager to keep them 6th.

Liverpool will be back up there if they actually sign some midfielders. Chelsea is roll of a dice but they certainly won't be 11th going into April 2024.

Can see Arsenal dropping off a fair bit being back in CL. Went out of both domestic cups early so given with europa group stage being a breeze they've been playing just once a week for 3/4 of the season and will lose intensity if they win the league.

We're on a very nice trajectory regardless. Not far off the run Newcastle went on last Feb right through to end of the season. They signed very well in the summer and started the season where they left off so we need to do the same.

I don’t think Liverpool will be back as everyone seems to think, they have an aging squad and no money as owners look to sell. Unless someone with money buys them, I can see them struggling again. They certainly can’t afford Bellingham as things stand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I don’t think Liverpool will be back as everyone seems to think, they have an aging squad and no money as owners look to sell. Unless someone with money buys them, I can see them struggling again. They certainly can’t afford Bellingham as things stand.

How much did they sign Nunez and Gapko for?

They make  exceptions if Klopp really wants a player and he wants Bellingham for sure and certainly after this season they can't fudge the central midfield recruitment for yet another transfer window.

1 hour ago, villa82 said:

Arsenal
City
Newcastle
Tottenham
United, winner of EL

Europa League:
Brighton

Conference league:

Jesus. It seems rediculous to me that 8 teams could be playing in Europe next season, as though it’s some reward for being the 6th, 7th 8th best team in the country… even finishing 4th for champions league is a joke. Such a broken system. 

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I think so too. Van Dijk was the catalyst for their success and his legs look to have gone and you just can't replace someone like that plus an aging midfield 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think so too. Van Dijk was the catalyst for their success and his legs look to have gone and you just can't replace someone like that plus an aging midfield 

Mane leaving was a blow too. Salah is still good but not getting younger. Their midfield is non existent. It will take more than Bellingham to fix it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Jesus. It seems rediculous to me that 8 teams could be playing in Europe next season, as though it’s some reward for being the 6th, 7th 8th best team in the country… even finishing 4th for champions league is a joke. Such a broken system. 

Will be even worse in 18 months time. They're introducing CL wildcards so two highest rating countries will get extra place if you have "legacy." So basically Liverpool/Chelsea/Man. United will get in if premier league remains at top of rankings and one of them finishes 5th.

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Weren’t Wigan relegated the year they won FA Cup against City?

blues as well got relegated and won the cup, then got into Europe

Edited by Zatman

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Will be even worse in 18 months time. They're introducing CL wildcards so two highest rating countries will get extra place if you have "legacy." So basically Liverpool/Chelsea/Man. United will get in if premier league remains at top of rankings and one of them finishes 5th.

For **** sake. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Oh my...

"legacy" sounds like some American influence?