Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

The Times front page tommorow - 'Villa and Forest stun the big guns' - Hold on a moment, Villa and Forest have won 3 European Championships between them! We are big in our own right too! Hopefully we start to see this narrative shift under Emery, as in it won't be a surprise that villa beat a lot of the teams in the league as we are genuinely good at implementing tactics and punishing teams!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Villatillidie95 said:

The Times front page tommorow - 'Villa and Forest stun the big guns' - Hold on a moment, Villa and Forest have won 3 European Championships between them! We are big in our own right too! Hopefully we start to see this narrative shift under Emery, as in it won't be a surprise that villa beat a lot of the teams in the league as we are genuinely good at implementing tactics and punishing teams!

The article was probably written by someone born nearly 15 years after those things happened. Villa or Forest are not seen as relevant anymore 

Its mad how we have got the desired effect 2 years running following the sacking of the manager. Identical in that we have gone on to win 4 out of the next 6 games and pulled clear of immediate danger. 

Difference being; this time we have got the managerial appointment spot on, somehow I dont think we will fall off a cliff like we did under the great pretender. Really impressive performances full of tactical knowhow and organisation against top sides has
given us a great foundation to kick on now. The window is now open to strengthen and shape a squad capable of pushing on further. Exciting times.

Sawiris really took matters into his own hands and knocked it out the park. Unai was the missing piece.

Could easily see Spurs going into a bit of free fall and Chelsea still aren't firing correctly. We're only 4 points off 7th and we've a much deeper squad than the majority of rivals bar Chelsea. Even more so with Carlos back fit and a signing or two in Jan.

It still think it's unlikely and we'll finish 9th or 8th but hopefully only a few points off 7th

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Let's crack top 10 before we start setting ourselves up for disappointment again.

We could go on a brilliant run and still not even crack top 8 due to coming from way behind ( Kenneth GIF )

I agree mate but I think we deserve to allow some optimism after some dark times 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Tottenham big club my arse 

A top 10 finish would be amazing considering where we were only a short time ago. Going under the radar with the media will also help us going into the second half of the season I feel. Let them continue to wax lyrical over United, Chelsea, Tottenham etc. Anything is possible still.

6 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

I agree mate but I think we deserve to allow some optimism after some dark times 

I agree in the optimism but let’s be underneath be realistic that a top ten will be a huge step forward for this club and that has to be the goal, anything above that is cherry on the top.  Yes clubs are mixed form above us as they always are and there is opportunity, yes we have the best manager we’ve had for decades but we are going to have bumps in these early days and other teams are going to get form.  We need to be optimistic but realistic because if we don’t hit the optimistic levels this forum can turn negative when there is no reason to.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

Then we play ManC and Arsenal, meaning we likely would drop down the table. Then maybe we have to win the next 4 after that to regain 7th, and so on.

On 28/10/2022 at 20:11, tomsky_11 said:

Who do we play and what points would we potentially need to finish with between 53 and 60?

The "easiest run of the season" - eve CRY whu BOU che NFO NEW bre FUL (+ lei to be rescheduled) - 18 to 21 points - 4 very winnable home games, plenty of opportunity to pick up points from the others with only Chelsea to play from the 'top 6'.

Should have a pretty good chance of doing so with those games.

13 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

Too bad, football isn’t that predictable, most likely we could end up with 8-10 points.

10-11 points is good enough to keep us on course for 60 points IMO. 8 wouldn't be a disaster.

49 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Optimism is good but lets not expect miracles. Our aim is top 10 anything higher would be superb. 

We dont need to put too much pressure on ourselves at this stage

• Like 2

Next 4 games will be a totally different proposition to the last 4. We haven’t faced a team with a well coached low block with Emery, so he’ll be changing his approach to something similar to the Liverpool game where we came unstuck.

Martin O’Neill’s villa sides came unstuck against ‘inferior’ teams who sat deep so we couldn’t use our pace down the wings. O’Neill had no plan B other than set pieces which was never enough.

I reckon Countinho/Buendia/Luiz and maybe Ings will be vital over next few games as they can unlock defences rather than beating them by pace. Really looking forward to these fixtures - hopefully Emery can work his tactical magic.

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Optimism is good but lets not expect miracles. Our aim is top 10 anything higher would be superb. 

We dont need to put too much pressure on ourselves at this stage

Not sure it's expecting miracles. Just an expectation of our coach to perform at a level similar to that he's done before with reasonably similar level of squad.

Top 10 at this point is more likely than not IMO.

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

All we can ask for is to be top 7 in pointer per game since Emery took over.

39-40 point in 25 games then. Takes us to 51-52. More than enough most seasons for top half.

Looking at the remaining games, I had us down for a 53 point season following the Brentford game and Emery's announcement, of which 40 would come from Emery's 25 games. We're already 3-4 points ahead of schedule for this, with much more favourable fixtures to come.

2 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Next 4 games will be a totally different proposition to the last 4. We haven’t faced a team with a well coached low block with Emery, so he’ll be changing his approach to something similar to the Liverpool game where we came unstuck.

Martin O’Neill’s villa sides came unstuck against ‘inferior’ teams who sat deep so we couldn’t use our pace down the wings. O’Neill had no plan B other than set pieces which was never enough.

I reckon Countinho/Buendia/Luiz and maybe Ings will be vital over next few games as they can unlock defences rather than beating them by pace. Really looking forward to these fixtures - hopefully Emery can work his tactical magic.

Yep, although I'd suggest we aren't facing anyone with close to the quality of Liverpool, against whom we created plenty of chances ourselves.

Will definitely give us a better idea of how we might approach and perform in the more winnable games the remainder of this season.

8 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Coutinho is the key to beating low blocks, pace will be less of a factor against a team sitting deep, so Bailey will be less effective. Aside from possibly Luiz, I’d argue that nobody else in the team has the vision of Coutinho, this is the key.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Let's crack top 10 before we start setting ourselves up for disappointment again.

We could go on a brilliant run and still not even crack top 8 due to coming from way behind ( Kenneth GIF )

**** that! I’m hoping for top 6. Had enough of feeling miserable with Villa. Time to be optimistic. Top, top manager with a good squad and the league is tight. The players and staff can take it game for game, I’m going big! 🥳

Edited by bose
  • Like 3