Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

He's played 65 games at centre back apparantly, and he definitely has the physical attributes, so him being a back up option there isn't impossible. I'm unsure how many of those were in a back 3 though as opposed to playing as one of 2. That said if we play with a back three in possession with the right back tucking in it might actually suit him more anyway.

7 hours ago, villan95 said:

Rather see him at CB than Carlos at this point 

Your wish was the footballing gods command

He can't have done much more than he has to put himself in the shop window, I guess. I'm not sure he's in the plans but we've not heard anything about any interest yet. 

Big Donk is a really good footballer, his positioning and reading of the game is top class, but despite him having played CB quite much for Belgium and Wolves, I'd only play him there in an Emery team as a very last resort. His passing is not good enough for a Emery style where we play out the back and he is to slow, especially on the turn, for the high defensive line we play at times.

Wish him all the best and hopefully a move to a team playing on a high level and where he can start games.

9 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Big Donk is a really good footballer, his positioning and reading of the game is top class, but despite him having played CB quite much for Belgium and Wolves, I'd only play him there in an Emery team as a very last resort. His passing is not good enough for a Emery style where we play out the back and he is to slow, especially on the turn, for the high defensive line we play at times.

Wish him all the best and hopefully a move to a team playing on a high level and where he can start games.

If I was any team from 10th - 20th I'd be all over this. I'd imagine we'd just be happy for someone to take 50k a week off of wage bill at this point. In the right team and structure he's a no a brainer. Calm player, can pass, intercept, tackle, never gets in bad positions really or exposes himself.Gives it to the good 'uns.

Simple.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

sooooo.....

is he gonna be gone soon!?!?

its a weird one, the issue is clearly his insane wages that we wackily decided to give him, because he isnt a bad player and would be great at even a mid table PL club, let alone lower end of the table, or a foreign team thats ok-ish.

We were nuts giving him 90k p/w.

43 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

sooooo.....

its a weird one, the issue is clearly his insane wages that we wackily decided to give him, because he isnt a bad player and would be great at even a mid table PL club, let alone lower end of the table, or a foreign team thats ok-ish.

Would be stunned if he didn’t see out his contract going on loan every year with us paying a percentage of his wages. Even if there was a market for him (doubtful after his last 12 months) no one else is going to match those wages, so why would he agree to a transfer? Mad business by Gerrard, Purslow and Lange.

53 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

sooooo.....

How come still not loaned out then?

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How come still not loaned out then?

i guess because very few clubs are willing to cover a good proportion of his wages, as although he is an ok player, his wages do not match his ability within a million light years.

Edited by MaVilla

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

i guess because very few clubs are willing to cover a good proportion of his wages, as although he is an ok player, his wages do not match his ability within a million light years.

Fair enough. If he is an ok player though. I'm unsure what a shit player is.

I did suggest that if we can't shift him, we just keep him around as the new Chambers.

And I think he is probably better than Chambers.

So as strange as it seems, it still aids to all round squad Improvement.

Where's as our " shittest " players are better than the last set.

I'm not even saying hes shite as I don't think he is.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

On 02/08/2024 at 08:37, Demitri_C said:

He is big as well. Maybe at cb might not be a bad idea to be honest as he wont have to run as much

In a back 3 he'd do well. Bit like how Romain Saisse adapted due to lack of speed for midfield.

Not many PL teams play a 3 though and European teams don't want to cover his wages so that's probably limiting our options 

He's not a bad footballer, but he's entirely wrong for Emery's system where you invite the press. He misplaces passes under pressure.

Despite his flaws, we could have used him in the second half of the season last year when we were short of midfield cover. The loan was a lose-lose...he got no playing time in Italy, we were stuck moving McGinn back to the double pivot after Kamara got hurt.

I just don't see a role for him anymore. We have more cover in midfield than we know what to do with, and we can't use him as cover at CB because he will misplace passes under a heavy press.

This for sure was always going to be a late window one.He and his camp know as do Villa the end of wndow when some club has had an injury or a club has a gap after a sale and not time to fill it. Or just the domino effect of players that happens late in the window, teams missing our on their top 2 or 3 targets. 

He'll find a Loan, we'll cover maybe half his cost to us and hopefully he does well wherever he goes. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â