Ismaila Sarr

Aston_Villan4

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I avoided this place since the game to avoid the meltdown and I come on to see we are signing Sarr. I am hoping it is the beer that is causing me not to understand this and in the morning it will all make sense 

We have 3 players covering 2 positions. Potentially 3 if we go 4-2-3-1. We let go of Traore and have bombed El Ghazi out of the squad. We don't have much choice but to sign someone tbh. I suppose we could try Archer LW but that's not ideal. 

I doubt this signing has any bearing whatsoever on whether we sign a midfielder or not, in the same way that singing Coutinho didn't mean we wouldn't sign Kamara, and signing Kamara didn't mean we wouldn't sign Carlos, the club knows we need a midfielder as it's been stated on several occassions by Gerrard himself that it's a postion we're looking to strengthen.

This signing if it happens has pretty much come from nowhere, and those worried that we might not sign a midfielder can perhaps take comfort from that, because if we've managed to keep this signing quiet until it's almost done, then good chance that that's what's going on with whatever midfielder we're targetting, a new midfielder will probably get announced out of the blue in the next week or so, it's how we do most of our transfers these days.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He used to.

Not shown it much recently IMO.

Not sure on this one at all. Where on earth is he going to fit in.

I didn't realise Watford were on TV so often. It was only last season he ripped us apart. Was it the 2nd half of last season he lost his pace? How did he look in pre season? 

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I guess if we sign a CB/CM as well then that's fine, but if we don't this will just look like a luxury. I know Sarr would still improve the squad but I'd rather pay over the odds for a CM we need than not get one at all.

As I said earlier in this thread. Sanson and Luiz should be fine for 8s if we only played them. I'd like to move mcginn and Nakamba on and maybe acquire a 4th choice behind ramsey and as a backup to Kamara, though that could be Tim. But I feel the 6 midfielders we have are perfectly fine to compete for Europe if IF we select the correct ones.

Defensively Mings and Chambers should be fine with Konsa and Kamara as cover. But we could definitely do with a 4th CB, though I suppose it could be feeney or swinkels or someone.

We definitely needed a winger/10. And really a more out and out winger to rotate with Bailey. We had 3 players for 1-3 positions depending on 4-3-1-2, 4-3-2-1 or 4-2-3-1. As much as I'm not a fan of Gerrard he has shown willingness to play Bailey upfront as well. And sarr is probably better suited to it due to his extra size. The reality is if one of buendia, Coutinho or Bailey got injured we'd have been boned if we didn't sign another player because we loaned Traore and sent El Ghazi to the bomb squad. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We have 3 players covering 2 positions. Potentially 3 if we go 4-2-3-1. We let go of Traore and have bombed El Ghazi out of the squad. We don't have much choice but to sign someone tbh. I suppose we could try Archer LW but that's not ideal. 

I knew it would make sense

52 minutes ago, smg said:

10 months wow. Well done.

The thing is if the club is currently doing the wrong things, it will cost the owners lots of money every week.

You may be fine with waiting years for success, I would be too. But the owners won’t be happy to sit around with an increasing wage bill while the team is going backwards. Being patient isn’t always prudent.

Just took a nap and I'm warming a bit to the Sarr signing.  Guessing on paper this means we'll be playing one of each of these to make up the front 3.  

1. Watkins or Ings
  2. Bailey or Sarr
  3. Coutinho or Buendia

Not going to matter as long as Gerrard is still the manager, but it's a pretty dangerous group for the next manager to make the best of.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, burchy said:

Better quality found abroad…why do we have a scouting system, where’s our gem players plucked from Europe/South America/Asia? Every other team seems to be able to do it!

I complained on here before why can Brighton/Brentford do this

I was told we have bigger expectations yet have Mr Bean as manager🙈

1 hour ago, burchy said:

Better quality found abroad…why do we have a scouting system, where’s our gem players plucked from Europe/South America/Asia? Every other team seems to be able to do it!

Diego Carlos and Kamara were from plucked Europe. They seem to be “gems.” Players like Bailey and Sanson could be gems if they were utilized properly. 

2 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Diego Carlos and Kamara were from plucked Europe. They seem to be “gems.” Players like Bailey and Sanson could be gems if they were utilized properly. 

I wouldnt call them gems. One was a huge prospect and now a French international and another nearly 30 million

Mahrez and Kante combined for 5 million now thats gems

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I wouldnt call them gems. One was a huge prospect and now a French international and another nearly 30 million

Mahrez and Kante combined for 5 million now thats gems

Don't really care how it's done really as long as we have good players. We'd have sold Kante and Mahrez back to the French second division if they played under this regime. At least Kamara and Carlos are proven quality. Good policy to have under a rookie manager to be fair. Next boss is going to fill his boots with this squad.

• Like 2

Think this is a brilliant signing, the guy has talent and pace to burn. 

Don't see this as a ‘panic’ buy either, IMO we need more attacking options having already sold Carney and Trez, and with Anwar and Bertie looking increasingly likely to leave. He can also play quite comfortably through the middle, so would be a useful alternative to Bailey or Watkins.

Deals often take weeks of negotiating and I suspected this signing will be in addition to both a new CB and No8 coming in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â