Ismaila Sarr

Aston_Villan4

The concern for me isn't so much that he doesn't fit, because despite all of our other failings at the moment I don't think he's being signed without an idea of how he fits in mind.

However in Buendia, Coutinho and Bailey we've signed three players in the last year that play in a similar area of the pitch and through either their reputation (Coutinho) or recent form (the other two) were bigger statement signings than Sarr, and we haven't been able to find a way to make any combination of them consistently work. I appreciate they aren't all the same type of player, but I don't see how Sarr solves anything when the set-up behind him on the pitch is in such disarray.

• Like 1

Sarr has one attribute that I think we lack a bit which is pace.

However as many have said there are bigger priorities elsewhere in the team that need to be fixed so as long as they will also be sorted in this transfer window I would be happy with Sarr.

Don't get the opposition to this signing, Sarr can operate through the middle aswell, he dosen't have to play on the wing at all. Cornet/Sarr are good attacking players who will improve lots of teams so i'm happy we have landed one of them. Looking forward to seeing him at VP

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Don't get the opposition to this signing, Sarr can operate through the middle aswell, he dosen't have to play on the wing at all. Cornet/Sarr are good attacking players who will improve lots of teams so i'm happy we have landed one of them. Looking forward to seeing him at VP

I am happy we have ONLY landed one of them 😃

• Haha 1

I guess if we sign a CB/CM as well then that's fine, but if we don't this will just look like a luxury. I know Sarr would still improve the squad but I'd rather pay over the odds for a CM we need than not get one at all.

Edited by Mantis

41 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Heard a good point made on a podcast. If this signing does indicate we are going to play with more attacking width, then what the **** have we been doing for 9 months last season and pre season?

Sometimes we play with 2 strikers then two proper 10's, then a 10 and an inside forward. 

We don't seem to have a proper plan for how we set up to attack in the final 3rd. 

I'm all for this signing but it raises more questions. 

It's because we got a guy at the helm who is trying to find himself as a manager. Just winging it. Like he's on a soul searching retreat. With Aston Villa! Hope Purslow makes a video like when he was gloating about Grealish when he eventually pulls the trigger.

17 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

A big financial outlay for a simple upgrade of a fringe player. No transfer received for Traore and there is no chance they are even paying all his wages. Sarr is 25m+ and a big wage

Very true. Looks like they are going to fully back Steven and hope they can buy him time by throwing money at the problem. 

The good news is that it looks like the owners are fully still behind the project. Since if you can watch these last 3 performances and still authorize another significant acquisition then you must have a long view on the project here.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Here’s a few questions then. How long should it take for a premier league manager to implement a style of play? Did you watch the game today and how did you feel seeing the same recurring issues and no tactical awareness from our manager? Would you be content finishing lower than 15th this season and  will you still have patience if we do? 

Longer than Gerrard has been given

.No I didn’t I sat in my back garden and listened to the crowd! Just seen it on motd though.

Yes and yes obviously not the relegation places .However I started watching the team in 1967  home crowds of around 10000 or less ,the prelude to slipping into division 3 thank god there was no social media then because if there was the club would probably be playing Sunday league now.

11 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Sarr has one attribute that I think we lack a bit which is pace.

However as many have said there are bigger priorities elsewhere in the team that need to be fixed so as long as they will also be sorted in this transfer window I would be happy with Sarr.

He used to.

Not shown it much recently IMO.

Not sure on this one at all. Where on earth is he going to fit in.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Heard a good point made on a podcast. If this signing does indicate we are going to play with more attacking width, then what the **** have we been doing for 9 months last season and pre season?

Sometimes we play with 2 strikers then two proper 10's, then a 10 and an inside forward. 

We don't seem to have a proper plan for how we set up to attack in the final 3rd. 

I'm all for this signing but it raises more questions. 

This is the thing with this signing.

He's undoubtedly a good player. He's torn us apart repeatedly, and he's done it to other sides as well.

But... He doesn't fit in the 'system' we have been trying to make work for the better part of a year. There's been no evidence of us even trying to play with a player like this guy with what we had already.

Which suggests either we've realised the plan don't work and are changing things - in which case, why on earth did it take 9 months of playing like arsewater more often than not to realise? Or it means we're just chucking money at it, which any idiot can do.

Meanwhile said any idiot should be able to see we have a huge problem in central midfield, and it wasn't fixed by bringing in a single player in Kamara, and theres no talk of fixing it.

• Like 3

Â