Match Thread: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I’d argue Mings has been our best player bar some daft turn in his own area at the end of the half. He has a below par Konsa alongside him, Kamara in front of him and the rest of them all bomb on.

Our shape, especially in midfield, is a total embarrassment. 

We pretty much play a 2-1-6-1 formation. 

I think that's generous, he's been as shit as the rest of them mate.

Emi the only one keeping us in this.

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Palace are a good, technical, pacey, side only lacking a clinical finisher, lovely to watch.

We have some ability, as evidenced by the goal, but our 'evolution' is a million miles off theirs.

Europe still appears to be a totally unrealistic ambition. Overrun in midfield, again.

Buendia excellent. Kamara excellent. Konsa shite, McGinn out of his depth, Martinez disappointing for the goal.

Lets hope it is a game of two halves because currently expecting another defeat.

Mid table seems unrealistic, nevermind Europe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Konsa going for the Curtis Davies pub team player performance. Literally from minute one he has been dreadful. If Gerrard doesn't take him off he's lost his mind.

Mings is just about holding things together, because Cash is getting rinsed by an in form Zaha, and Digne is a defensive liability again. An upgrade on Targett I'm not so sure.

The midfield where is it? You watch how the top teams press and there is a structure, they press as a team. The first three games we've ran around as headless chickens. This does not help the defence. On the ball we are so poor as well, no control whatsoever. McGinn has been dreadful, Ramsey is absent today.

Buendia is our brightest player, but maybe should have scored.

Bailey was great for the goal but otherwise has been poor.

Watkins has had an improved game, he needs more support though, it does feel he works better with Ings now.

Overall we are very look to be level and we need to improve.

I'd sub Konsa for Chambers, and get Luiz on as soon as possible as at least he can retain possession. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

Ramsey, another of Gerrard’s favourites, has offered absolutely shit all.

Ramsey and McGinn do not work well together. McGinn shouldn’t be anywhere near a team trying to push for Europe. Bailey has been woeful and Watkins control is poor. The sooner we move away from starting McGinn and Watkins every week, the better we’ll be. We desperately need one, probably two new central midfielders. 

• Like 3

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I’d argue Mings has been our best player bar some daft turn in his own area at the end of the half. He has a below par Konsa alongside him, Kamara in front of him and the rest of them all bomb on.

Our shape, especially in midfield, is a total embarrassment. 

We pretty much play a 2-1-6-1 formation. 

That dribble inside the box though… but I agree, I think Mings has done well. Everyone makes mistakes. 

ans yeah, I am a bit unfair singling out Buendia. I like him generally.

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Luiz isn't a hard man with running power...or something 

Doesn't need to be. Just needs to be able to pass, move and be in correct defensive position so they can't constantly get free on the edge of the area. 

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Does he understand this is down to his formation and his midfield.

His captain.

His lack of balance.

I don't think he does. He can't. Because he wouldn't have named McGinn captain.

We're in trouble this season.

Three worst teams I've seen are Bournemouth, us and Everton.

And even Bournemouth look considerably better than us.

Pass and don’t move.  That’s Gerrard ball. Why is it that Bournemouth out passed us at times and now palace are making us look like a pub team. Stew should have buried that chance, he was in acres of space. System doesn’t work for me and I think it will be the sword Gerrard dies on. 

Just now, daft said:

My point is our woes are bigger that Buendi vs Couts. These guys are two obviously talented and good footballers, and should be the most creative and smart in the squad. 

Something is broken here, and yes, it could well be Gerrard and his system. 

these boys should be able to perform better.

I agree. There’s something about how Gerrard sets the team up to start that just kills the flow of our team going forward. Wouldn’t be surprised if Coutinho comes on later and it becomes what we normally see when buendia comes on.

2 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

How can Buendia be expected to do anything when the dross behind him keep giving the ball away and letting Palace walk through them? 

Would that be the reasoning if Coutinho had started?

5 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

People criticizing Coutinho selections yet we see Emi struggling. Seems to suggest that the problem is how Gerrard sets this team up to start games.

Because it's the setup. Our buildup is so slow that by the time we are ready to attack Palace has their low block setup. Emi has to beat 2 Palace defenders just to have a decent look for a pass/shot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Does he understand this is down to his formation and his midfield.

His captain.

His lack of balance.

I don't think he does. He can't. Because he wouldn't have named McGinn captain.

We're in trouble this season.

Three worst teams I've seen are Bournemouth, us and Everton.

Man Utd have been comfortably worse than us, to be fair.