Match Thread: Villa v Everton

limpid

1 minute ago, JB said:

I think it’s staggering that anyone has referred to an error by Mings. Unless not being taller is an error. Judged to a completely different standard than anyone else. He’s been really good today. 

Yeah, every player makes mistakes during a game, most often several. 

Ming's has done well, as has the team as a whole IMO. 

• Like 1

Everytime I see Coutinho I just wonder how much more effective and involved Buendia would be (and always is when he comes in). Ideally I’d like to have both in the team but Emi offers so much more..

Credit to Ings, loved the determination to get that goal.

Don’t think we’ve looked great but winning breeds confidence…

I still can’t believe McGinn is our captain…

Bouba is just a class above any player on that pitch 👏 

Get him some help.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

why did the commentator say "thats why Villa paid 35m dollars for Ings".

uuuuhhh......what, we arent in America love.

Because you're watching an American small flowing body of water?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

Not sure Coutinho has done anything wrong. Tracked back pretty well. It’s just so limiting when we don’t attack with any kind of urgency. This tactic of letting the opposing team get everyone back before we move forward needs to stop…

Didn't say he did anything wrong, just invisible (i.e., no impact)

• Like 1

One thing that is always obvious from these match threads is the view of we’re winning then we’re great and playing well.

And if we’re not winning then we’re playing badly.

The score line and the performance being directly connected, which is often not the case.

Just now, JB said:

I think it’s staggering that anyone has referred to an error by Mings. Unless not being taller is an error. Judged to a completely different standard than anyone else. He’s been really good today. 

I haven't seen a replay of it but it seems like he had time to walk backwards before jumping which would've ensured him reaching the ball.

Just now, MaVilla said:

BBC says 2 shots at goal in 45 mins.

I only remember 1, the Ings goal.

What was the other?

We seem to lack creativity, 1 or 2 shots at goal, at home, in 45 mins.

Carlos almost scored after 90 seconds but hit his shoulder

Just now, Davkaus said:

I don't think we're playing well at all, but fortunately, we look better than last week, and we're up against another relegation candidate.

Clearly the better team today, but against ~15 other teams in the league, we'd be **** playing like this, we're wide open at times.

We are far too predictable, we play the ball to the left as much as we did when Grealish was here. Difference is we don't have him but Digne who 9/10 crosses into a busy penalty area with no Villa player in sight.

Teams know this now and just wait for us to make mistakes in build up and counter us. As you said better opposition and we'd be punished.

Pleasing to be ahead but I have many concerns. 

On a positive note, Watkins and Ings are working better together, Kamara is class and Mings has come in and performed well. 

1 minute ago, JB said:

ive not gone back through it but surely he's not being picked out for the missed header?

he stepped off his man to defend vs a completely free man 6 yards out, if the other defenders did their job he wouldn't be there, mings covered for someone else's mistake but didnt win the ball somehow then makes it mings mistake

thats the mings microscope

Just now, Jas10 said:

Everytime I see Coutinho I just wonder how much more effective and involved Buendia would be (and always is when he comes in). Ideally I’d like to have both in the team but Emi offers so much more..

Credit to Ings, loved the determination to get that goal.

Don’t think we’ve looked great but winning breeds confidence…

I still can’t believe McGinn is our captain…

Bouba is just a class above any player on that pitch 👏 

Get him some help.

I think Buendia would be brilliant in Ramsey role or Mcginn

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We are so slow in possession. First time we play the ball quickly we get in behind the defence and play a ball across the face of goal that Coutinho narrowly misses. Also why is mcginn standing on the last defender instead of being a passing option. 

Yep. We gotta stop giving them the time to setup their defense.