Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

9 points separate 9th (Fulham) to 20th so perhaps 12 teams still involved. 

Out of those 12 I really can't see Leicester or us (🙏) being involved - I think our squads are too good.

That leaves 10. 

I think Fulham and Brentford should be ok whilst they have Mitrovic and Toney up top. Palace have a decent squad and Zaha (when he's not missing pens).

So 3 from the bottom 7. But I would probably narrow that down to 3 from 4 as most likely - which is the current bottom 3 (Wolves, Soton, Forest) and Bournemouth. 

I think Leeds, West Ham & Everton will all probably have enough, but if I could pick 3 then these are the 3 I would love to see go down 🙏

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turvontour said:

I dont get the point of this thread in Jan, Feb and March each season, let alone in October or November.

This time last year Newcastle were comfortably worse than all of the teams in the premier league this season, and they finished midtable.

What happened to Newcastle last year is very unusual, and not a good guide. Most teams who start the season that badly get relegated. 

The point of the thread is that come the end of the season, three teams get relegated. There are seven or eight clubs who obviously will not go down, which means 20-25% of the other clubs in the league get relegated. Those aren't great odds, and it tends to mean that even in seasons where we are in 'no real danger' we will only be a few bad results away from it. 

I think (hope) I've seen enough from Emery, and the players reactions to him, to suggest that we will get enough wins this season. But it's far from guaranteed, the same as every season. Hopefully by the start of March we will have enough points to make sure we are still around for one more year. 

im going to try and be positive and say we wont be relegated 😆

that aside, of the teams below us i just dont see Leicester, Leeds or West ham being in a genuine dog fight.

Everton.......not sure, they seem to be able to do a Leeds and sh** out some random good results.

Wolves, unsure, logic tells me they have a good enough squad to turn it around, but their run of 6 games after the WC is really tough (Everton - 6 pointer, Manure, Villa - who knows...., West Ham, Man City, Liverpool).

I can see Bournemouth, Forest, Southampton & Wolves being in the main dog fight.

So im gonna guess 3 from Everton, Bournemouth, Forest, Southampton or Wolves.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

going to be an interesting relegation battle this season. a number of teams right in it now i.e. everton, saints, and i'd throw palace in there too. add in bournemouth whose league position flatters them plus leicester and forest who look shite. you do feel it would be easy to get caught up in it

wolves will be fine IMO

On 29/10/2022 at 18:22, useless said:

Looking at our fixtures we will be doing well not to be in the bottom three by the time we play Wolves on January 4th. Would probably be an achievement to get four points from those four games, might be case of hoping the other teams around and below us keep losing, feels like a throwback to the first season back in the Premier League in that sense...

Villa: Man Utd (h), Brighton (a), Liverpool (h), Tottenham (a) 

Southampton: Newcastle (h), Liverpool (a), Brighton (h), Fulham (a)

Leicester: Everton (a), West Ham (a), Newcastle (h), Liverpool (a)

Wolves: Brighton (h), Arsenal (h), Everton (a), Man Utd (h)

Leeds: Liverpool (a), Bournemouth (h), Spurs (a), Man City (h),

Forest: Arsenal (a), Brentofrd (h), Palace (h), Man Utd (a), Chelsea (h)

We did well, better than I expected

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark_1989 said:

Lock thread

Oi! This is my longest running on topic thread! Keep it open! 

We’re going down we’re rubbish ahhhhhh ahhh!

ah! 

yea, lock it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

And a good job we did too. If we hadn't got those 9 points, we'd be equal last. 

If we could destroy a decent Brentford 4-0 with Danks in charge we weren't going to keep losing with Emery in charge.

Decent target is to get to 40 points by March international break. Very possible with the home games we have (Wolves, Leeds, Leicester, Forest, Bournemouth) and we're rapidly improving on the road so have to look at Southampton away as a very good chance for another three points away.

Mind you I thought all that 12 months ago so it would be nice to kick on for once in a prem season and have a great ending as we seemed to have regularly in the 90s for instance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MentalM said:

I am only looking upwards with Emery.

Think Southampton, Everton and Bournemouth will go down.

Southampton are dead as a dodo. What in god's name did they decide Nathan Jones was a better answer to Ralph?!

3 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Southampton are dead as a dodo. What in god's name did they decide Nathan Jones was a better answer to Ralph?!

this, he was gone too long 

• Haha 2