Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Very poor episode, everything is so obvious. Who wrote "I've done it" as the Kinguard guy is about to get on the Dragon. The cliffhanger we end on. I wonder who is on the Dragon? It's simply just shit writing which is in keeping with almost everything that's produced these days. There is literally nothing good to watch anymore. 

That part with the dragon was probably one of the shittest scenes in history.  We all knew that was going yo happen. Such bad writing and adds nothing to the show. 

This daemon storyline as well  its **** boring and awful. He is such a wasted charchter

• Like 1

6 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Whilst I cannot comment on this new "prequel" series as I haven't watched it, but have just finished the 5 books of the original Game of Thrones. I have also watched the first 2 series of GoT.

Casting for the GoT was very good in my opinion, and I understand that the series 8 and finale was rubbish according to many, so I may not watch that.

I do have an issue with the book series of GoT though, I get to the end of book 5 then realise that book 6 (The Winds of Winter) is not available as the author is still writing it. Now I get that it is a complicated story and he has said that the books are difficult to write, but having invested time and effort to read the books and now ending up with the characters and plot suspended until who knows when the book 6 is released, is somewhat frustrating and a bit of a let down.

I can understand to a certain degree why "they" decided to write season 8 for the telly instead of waiting for the author. 

I will just have to wait until Mr Martin finishes book 6. As for the proposed book 7, well I am 66, i wonder if he will finish that before I pop me clogs?

GoT the show really fell off after season 2 so you got off at a good point. Whatever you do don't finish the show and just wait for the slight chance of GRRM finishing the series. I watched it with my brother (didn't watch the final season but for the first 2 episodes), and I regret it. I should have left things up to my imagination. I'm just clinging to the hope that he'll change certain things for the books because some of the stuff in the show was laughable.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

GoT the show really fell off after season 2 so you got off at a good point. Whatever you do don't finish the show and just wait for the slight chance of GRRM finishing the series. I watched it with my brother (didn't watch the final season but for the first 2 episodes), and I regret it. I should have left things up to my imagination. I'm just clinging to the hope that he'll change certain things for the books because some of the stuff in the show was laughable.

You think thrones died down after season 2? I completely disagree with that. One of the most shocking scenes happened in season 3 'the red wedding' 

Then you had the wildings and winterfell, the boltons vs the starks. I thought it started dropping off in season 7.

8 was absymal it really was

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

You think thrones died down after season 2? I completely disagree with that. One of the most shocking scenes happened in season 3 'the red wedding' 

Then you had the wildings and winterfell, the boltons vs the starks. I thought it started dropping off in season 7.

8 was absymal it really was

It was still good, but the first 2 seasons were easily the best for me, likely because they followed the books almost to a tee. I think season 6 was the beginning of the end, the writing really started to get sloppy then, but still entertaining. Season 7 is when they started to insult our intelligence (I'll never forget that episode beyond the wall with the walkers). Can't really comment on season 8 to be fair.

• Like 1

GoT S1, 2 and 3 were brilliant TV.

It was always at its best when it was about the political intrigue and less about the big set pieces (and when they did happen, they actually meant something unlike latter seasons).

I think HotD has been fine on the whole. It's not top tier TV and has a fair few issues with characters doing dumb shit, and some pointless story strands but it's nowhere the car crash of GoT s7 and s8.

Really struggling with this season of HotD.

The first season was really strong and so enjoyable but this season is just a mess.

• They've rushed through the battle of the burning mill and duskendale to get to Rooks rest and then slowed the pace right down to a crawl...very similar to the final seasons of GoT where they've lost control of the shows pacing entirely.
  • Matt Damon's character has been totally wasted this season. He must surely be the highest earner on the show but this storyline has just dragged on endlessly and wasn't even interesting to begin with. They've tried to make a famous GoT double act with the Strong dude and/or Alys but it just isn't working
  • Where is Otto Hightower? He was one of the more interesting characters but to have him just disappear is very odd
  • Rhaenyra's character continues to be so frustrating...can we all hear again how frustrated she is to be a women, a figurehead, so indispensible that she can barely be allowed out of her room?
  • Is Corlys actually doing anything?
  • They've telegraphed the Dragonseed stuff so much that even casual viewers can see from 40000 feet what's going to happen.

There's a couple of characters that have shown signs of promise. Any scene with Aemond or Jace are good but there's just not enough good stuff to outweigh the bad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Matt Damon's character

If you did that on purpose then well played 😄

• Haha 2

What really gets me annoyed about GoT is they have all been fighting each other with swords, maces, lance's and crossbows etc and living the medieval  lifestyle for the best part of 8000 years.

There has been no development of anything technical during that time, no gunpowder or advanced weaponry etc, I mean they still haven't invented the flushing toilet!.....they have had 8000 years!! They all deserve to be wiped out apart from Tyrion and the ravens, the best characters in the book(s) in my opinion. 😉

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

What really gets me annoyed about GoT is they have all been fighting each other with swords, maces, lance's and crossbows etc and living the medieval  lifestyle for the best part of 8000 years.

There has been no development of anything technical during that time, no gunpowder or advanced weaponry etc, I mean they still haven't invented the flushing toilet!.....they have had 8000 years!! They all deserve to be wiped out apart from Tyrion and the ravens, the best characters in the book(s) in my opinion. 😉

So if we compare the fantasy world of GoT etc to actual human timelines then it’s only in the last 500 years that firearms existed and only since around 1600ish that they were the primary weapons on European battlefields.

The first recorded sword was in the Bronze Age 3300BC. So swords and other sharp implements were the primary weapon of combat for nearly 5000 years.

You could go back earlier when people would have been presumably stabbing each other with pointy sticks etc but you mentioned swords.

10 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

Really struggling with this season of HotD.

The first season was really strong and so enjoyable but this season is just a mess.

• They've rushed through the battle of the burning mill and duskendale to get to Rooks rest and then slowed the pace right down to a crawl...very similar to the final seasons of GoT where they've lost control of the shows pacing entirely.
  • Matt Damon's character has been totally wasted this season. He must surely be the highest earner on the show but this storyline has just dragged on endlessly and wasn't even interesting to begin with. They've tried to make a famous GoT double act with the Strong dude and/or Alys but it just isn't working
  • Where is Otto Hightower? He was one of the more interesting characters but to have him just disappear is very odd
  • Rhaenyra's character continues to be so frustrating...can we all hear again how frustrated she is to be a women, a figurehead, so indispensible that she can barely be allowed out of her room?
  • Is Corlys actually doing anything?
  • They've telegraphed the Dragonseed stuff so much that even casual viewers can see from 40000 feet what's going to happen.

There's a couple of characters that have shown signs of promise. Any scene with Aemond or Jace are good but there's just not enough good stuff to outweigh the bad.

What interested me was a few episodes ago they briefly showed winterfell and the starks. They havent been seen or heard from since.  That could had added a interesting dynamic to the show

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What interested me was a few episodes ago they briefly showed winterfell and the starks. They havent been seen or heard from since.  That could had added a interesting dynamic to the show

I think in that they’re just following the book. The Cregan Stark does come into it more a bit later on. I’ll admit it does seem odd to introduce him only to seemingly ditch him for the rest of the season.

14 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I think in that they’re just following the book. The Cregan Stark does come into it more a bit later on. I’ll admit it does seem odd to introduce him only to seemingly ditch him for the rest of the season.

Yeah very disappointing was hoping cregan will play a big part in it. This GOT is missing some starks.  I think that will really add to the show

Posted (edited)

Starks aren't really relevant until later in the Dance unfortunately, they have to march like 100000 miles.

Edited by StefanAVFC

14 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Starks aren't really relevant until later in the Dance unfortunately, they have to march like 100000 miles.

That only takes 15 mins in GoT S7-8

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Think I can forgive them merging the Tully's into just Oscar rather than giving us Kermit and Elmo too after that episode

Spoiler

Loved what they did to Willem Blackwood too, as it sets up Bloody Ben and the lads, especially as Oscar is a badass. We don't need a million Tully's, having so many was a bit of a inside joke by GRRM tbf

Books spoilers

Edited by StefanAVFC

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â