Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon

Demitri_C

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So far hasnt come anywhere close to original game of thrones

It's better than the last 2 seasons of GoT imo.

Edited by Designer1

57 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

It's better than the last 2 seasons of GoT imo.

I didnt mind 7 that much - but 8 was awful. **** terrible

My favourite episodes was season 6 with battle of the bastards

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2024 at 15:54, Demitri_C said:

So far hasnt come anywhere close to original game of thrones

I've just finished Episode 4 and this season is a bit shit. Season 1 was good I thought. This season casting is terrible, everyone is a kid. Everyone who was smart making stupid decisions nobody would make. Acting isn't great and it has the late seasons of GoT vibe where it's about spectacle and getting twitter going than being an intelligent character driven story like the earlier seasons of GoT

I'll finish this season out and see if it improves but it's unlikely to. It is on its way to being meh and bored with it. 

I'm told the show runner departed after Season 1 is that true? Would explain a lot

9 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I've just finished Episode 4 and this season is a bit shit. Season 1 was good I thought. This season casting is terrible, everyone is a kid. Everyone who was smart making stupid decisions nobody would make. Acting isn't great and it has the late seasons of GoT vibe where it's about spectacle and getting twitter going than being an intelligent character driven story like the earlier seasons of GoT

I'll finish this season out and see if it improves but it's unlikely to. It is on its way to being meh and bored with it. 

I'm told the show runner departed after Season 1 is that true? Would explain a lot

Yeah its not come close to orginal GOT for me. I think the main problems is the charchters they are just dull compared to the original GOT. You dont really care or have a connection to them

10 hours ago, CVByrne said:

This season casting is terrible, everyone is a kid.

In the books they all are too. It's what makes it so tragic tbh.

Everyone who was smart making stupid decisions nobody would make. 

This is true tbh, but again most of what's happening is from the source material. Rhaenyra sneaking into KL though, oof. Not in the books and really really dumb.

They moved a big event from Season 2 to Season 3, so I would advise to still stick with it, a lot to happen still! Many battles, both human and dragons :D 

I think they're suffering a bit with the book being a few lines long for events, and they have to flesh out that with dialogue. For example, in the books, Daemon is at Harrenhal for a year and there's nothing written around what he's doing.

The next ep should be good with

Spoiler

the dragonseeds

It's all a bit meh. My favorite parts are when they expand the world so we get to see a bit how the common folk live and think. For me it was never the action scenes or the battles that made OG GOT great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah its not come close to orginal GOT for me. I think the main problems is the charchters they are just dull compared to the original GOT. You dont really care or have a connection to them

Yeah I'd agree re characters. They're not well written and not enough time spent developing them and fleshing them out. 

I think a reason would be the source material is supposedly written as if it was a history of the Targarians from the POV of a historian. 

So it probably doesn't have the details of Song of Ice and fire with character development to draw on. I don't know never read any of the books he's written. 

39 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah I'd agree re characters. They're not well written and not enough time spent developing them and fleshing them out. 

I think a reason would be the source material is supposedly written as if it was a history of the Targarians from the POV of a historian. 

So it probably doesn't have the details of Song of Ice and fire with character development to draw on. I don't know never read any of the books he's written. 

I know the purpose of this thrones is  the targarians but in GOT you had cahrchter build up on the lannisters, the starks, the targarians, various different communities. It worked and you cared about alot of the charchters.  They also did a great job on producing people you hated like ramsey bolton, joffrey, little finger to name a few 

This one just seems its lacking that.

agree with that Dem, they've got the 2 sides but they don't have the same ensemble nature of the cast, GoT at times benefitted from jumping around in 10 minute segments meaning that boring stuff that went nowhere was ok because the next location did pick the story up again, if they really wanted to stretch this out and do it properly and push a big event in to season 3 then they should have developed things like the brackens and whoever fighting for generations in to more detail, they're getting away with a ton of stuff on the basis that the viewer knows the names thanks to GoT rather than developing these characters here, they just throw out the Tullys and expect you to know who they are

the daemon dreamy stuff needs to be binned off ASAP 

the constant stuff that the show is trying to say about women and mothers doesnt hit all of the time, that's why I think they had her sneak in to kings landing and tbf i thought as stupid as it was the scene did work, the show is desperately trying to cling on to it being about the 2 women when in reality all the exciting stuff is directing the viewers towards 2 men, Rhaenyra isn't a good character IMO which kills the whole thing

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I know the purpose of this thrones is  the targarians but in GOT you had cahrchter build up on the lannisters, the starks, the targarians, various different communities. It worked and you cared about alot of the charchters.  They also did a great job on producing people you hated like ramsey bolton, joffrey, little finger to name a few 

This one just seems its lacking that.

Yeah it feels very rushed and not taken time to build up the characters. Then the characters they have developed they just break character and do stupid things, like Otto breaking character and becoming an idiot because the plot needed him removed as Hand. Rhaenyra going to KL for a quick chat because they wanted onscreen time between the two main female leads. Going on about the prophecy of Song of Ice and Fire is completely pointless as we know there is no payoff as we saw the garbage that was the final seasons of GoT. Two idiots focused on subverting expectations and rushing to finish the show. Retcon the dagger that killed the night king into this show is just faceplam.

This feels like late GoT seasons show, in a hurry, no time to develop characters and they do a Varys on the ones they developed like Otto. Coles character arc feels as unexplainable and rushed as Daenerys in Season 7/8. 

30 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah it feels very rushed and not taken time to build up the characters. Then the characters they have developed they just break character and do stupid things, like Otto breaking character and becoming an idiot because the plot needed him removed as Hand. Rhaenyra going to KL for a quick chat because they wanted onscreen time between the two main female leads. Going on about the prophecy of Song of Ice and Fire is completely pointless as we know there is no payoff as we saw the garbage that was the final seasons of GoT. Two idiots focused on subverting expectations and rushing to finish the show. Retcon the dagger that killed the night king into this show is just faceplam.

This feels like late GoT seasons show, in a hurry, no time to develop characters and they do a Varys on the ones they developed like Otto. Coles character arc feels as unexplainable and rushed as Daenerys in Season 7/8. 

see that's why I thought the scene did work, it sowed a seed of doubt in Alicent's head as to whether or not she is right or wrong

cole i think is harder, he seems like he was battle ready and all in but now he's seen what dragons do he's gone sheepish and done a full 180

this whole thing feels like 3 seasons max 

I loved the first series but this series has been a little boring imo. I find myself looking at my phone a lot and not taking much in

• Like 1

Very poor episode, everything is so obvious. Who wrote "I've done it" as the Kinguard guy is about to get on the Dragon. The cliffhanger we end on. I wonder who is on the Dragon? It's simply just shit writing which is in keeping with almost everything that's produced these days. There is literally nothing good to watch anymore. 

• Like 1

Whilst I cannot comment on this new "prequel" series as I haven't watched it, but have just finished the 5 books of the original Game of Thrones. I have also watched the first 2 series of GoT.

Casting for the GoT was very good in my opinion, and I understand that the series 8 and finale was rubbish according to many, so I may not watch that.

I do have an issue with the book series of GoT though, I get to the end of book 5 then realise that book 6 (The Winds of Winter) is not available as the author is still writing it. Now I get that it is a complicated story and he has said that the books are difficult to write, but having invested time and effort to read the books and now ending up with the characters and plot suspended until who knows when the book 6 is released, is somewhat frustrating and a bit of a let down.

I can understand to a certain degree why "they" decided to write season 8 for the telly instead of waiting for the author. 

I will just have to wait until Mr Martin finishes book 6. As for the proposed book 7, well I am 66, i wonder if he will finish that before I pop me clogs?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â