Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

2 hours ago, hogso said:

Fourth visit to triage at maternity today, we're at week 29 this week. I wouldn't go so far as to say this pregnancy has been a nightmare but we are both desperate for it to be over at this point. It was always going to be an elective c-section, but due to a stubbornly low lying placenta, that decision would have been taken away from us at this stage. The question now is will they let us get as far as week 38 - not sure. The good news is mother and fetus are OK at the moment, bad news is our NHS trust will not settle on a c-section date until as late as possible. We have tri weekly scans from now on (31, 34, 37...if we get that far) so hoping for a decision after the 34 week scan which is on 14th August. 

Really feel for you - we thought we were going to lose our second when my wife started  bleeding at around 23 weeks, and after that, every week felt like a win. It was an awful pregnancy from start to finish. The only good thing was the extra scans we had. Hope the next scan goes well

5 hours ago, hogso said:

Surprised to hear that you had such a long wait time, you must have visited on a busy day. We've had season passes for Drayton Manor for over a year now and you generally don't get massive queues in Thomas Land.

His birthday is end of August and right by the Bank Holiday so it was heaving. Some of the rides the wait wasn't as long but a couple were nightmares. 

Similar to @Stevo985 I piled him with snacks and that helped but at that age they have no real concept of time or delayed gratification, so he did struggle to just stand there.

Thinking about it, whilst it's a lovely park and i would recommend, my biggest complaint would be that his ticket was about £12 and mine was about £35 (I'm probably off here) as I had to pay for a full adult pass to Drayton Manor and couldn't just get a Thomas Land one. 

I paid 3 times as much as his ticket to go on rides for little kids.

I queried it at the time to see if anything could be done but they said no as I could go on any ride there and that's why. They just shrugged when I pointed to my 3 year old and asked what I do with him whilst I'm on the adult rides.

Feels like there should be a cheaper but limited ticket somehow, maybe different colour wristbands or something. 

On 08/07/2024 at 11:06, StefanAVFC said:

Sleep now 

You can't bank sleep. I spent 30 years of my life sleeping. I love sleeping. Within a few days it was gone and I was a wreck 

I'd say personally, stay up now, go on holiday, go cinema, party, do all the things you want that require you to sleep in the next day , because that's gone brother.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Really feel for you - we thought we were going to lose our second when my wife started  bleeding at around 23 weeks, and after that, every week felt like a win. It was an awful pregnancy from start to finish. The only good thing was the extra scans we had. Hope the next scan goes well

Thanks my man, we had a bleed a couple of weeks ago now, scary stuff but fortunately everything was OK on that occasion. Today they couldn't get my girlfriends sats above 92, which they've put down to her asthma and baby pushing on her diaphragm so she can't take a full breath. 

She's had a seizure, near constant headaches and occasional migraines, temporary sight loss, unusual fetal movements which can only be described as a spasm which we're told are hiccups but don't totally buy it...the list goes on. 

Edited by hogso

15 minutes ago, hogso said:

Thanks my man, we had a bleed a couple of weeks ago now, scary stuff but fortunately everything was OK on that occasion. Today they couldn't get my girlfriends sats above 92, which they've put down to her asthma and baby pushing on her diaphragm so she can't take a full breath. 

She's had a seizure, near constant headaches and occasional migraines, temporary sight loss, unusual fetal movements which can only be described as a spasm which we're told are hiccups but don't totally buy it...the list goes on. 

Hope all's well with them both

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

17 month old.

May 2024  - fascinated by lawnmower.

Jun 2024 - fascinated by lawnmower.

July 2024 - fascinated by lawnmower.

21st Jul 2024 - I'm **** terrified of lawnmowers.

Just to let you know...

August 2024 - I'm **** terrified of lawnmowers.

September 2024 - I'm **** terrified of lawnmowers.

October 2024 - Lawnmowers are my favourite thing ever!

November 2024 - Lawnmowers are my favourite thing ever!

December 2024 - Lawnmowers are my favourite thing ever! (Replica lawnmower toy for Christmas)

January 2025 - I'm **** terrified of lawnmowers.  WHY DID I GET THIS LAWNMOWER TOY!?! *smash*

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

My son's finally lost one of his baby teeth. Any ideas how much the Tooth Fairy leaves behind nowadays?

Apparently in Cannock its 50p. Here in Stafford its a quid. Near Congleton its £2. My extensive research. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Apparently in Cannock its 50p. Here in Stafford its a quid. Near Congleton its £2. My extensive research. 

We're not far from Crewe so think that puts us at about £1.50 then?

Interesting how further north they are the more money they get. Explains why Norway has so much money. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sister in law, my daughters aunty, got married over the weekend. They didn't invite any kids to either the ceremony or the evening doo except for our kid (3 years old) and the grooms nephew (9 months). 

My daughter would just not shut up during the vows, and then did it again during the speeches in the evening too. One of those moments where you wish the ground swallows you up. 

There were some raised eyebrows when the kids are banned message came out...but blimey were they justified in that. 

I mentioned a few weeks ago that whist our second pregnancy hasn't been a nightmare, it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing. Funnily enough in the following week after that post I lost count of the triage visits we had, 7 or 8 I think. Reduced movements and quite a few bleeds, but short version, everything appears to be OK and have now settled down. 

We'll get confirmation of our c section date in 2 weeks, we're week 35 this week. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hogso said:

Sister in law, my daughters aunty, got married over the weekend. They didn't invite any kids to either the ceremony or the evening doo except for our kid (3 years old) and the grooms nephew (9 months). 

My daughter would just not shut up during the vows, and then did it again during the speeches in the evening too. One of those moments where you wish the ground swallows you up. 

There were some raised eyebrows when the kids are banned message came out...but blimey were they justified in that. 

I mentioned a few weeks ago that whist our second pregnancy hasn't been a nightmare, it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing. Funnily enough in the following week after that post I lost count of the triage visits we had, 7 or 8 I think. Reduced movements and quite a few bleeds, but short version, everything appears to be OK and have now settled down. 

We'll get confirmation of our c section date in 2 weeks, we're week 35 this week. 

Best wishes -- big moments.

1 minute ago, Villa87 said:

My 5 year old is about to lose his first tooth! More ammunition for my wife to encourage us to go for round 3 😬😅

Quid a throw from the tooth fairy these days. 

• Like 1

Wasn't really sure where to post this one (couldnt see an Amazon specific thread), so please feel free to move.

Does anyone have an Amazon Kids Plus subscription? We're getting our son a new kindle so that he can play Minecraft with his friends and it's pushing us to get a kids subscription for £5 a month.

Curious if anyone would recommend and say it's worth while?

57 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Wasn't really sure where to post this one (couldnt see an Amazon specific thread), so please feel free to move.

Does anyone have an Amazon Kids Plus subscription? We're getting our son a new kindle so that he can play Minecraft with his friends and it's pushing us to get a kids subscription for £5 a month.

Curious if anyone would recommend and say it's worth while?

I’ve got one. I actually think you get it free for 12 months if you purchase a kids kindle so perfect way to trial it. 

Whether it’s worth it probably depends on age. To me it looks like there’s enough stuff on there to be worth it. But my lad is only 2 so he just doesn’t use it enough really. 

If your son is old enough to know what it is and play Minecraft etc then I’d say it’s probably worth it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I’ve got one. I actually think you get it free for 12 months if you purchase a kids kindle so perfect way to trial it. 

Whether it’s worth it probably depends on age. To me it looks like there’s enough stuff on there to be worth it. But my lad is only 2 so he just doesn’t use it enough really. 

If your son is old enough to know what it is and play Minecraft etc then I’d say it’s probably worth it. 

There's the free trial but didn't want to sign up, get him used to it and then decide it's not worth the money and have him kick off. Would rather have it confirmed from the get go.

Having enough trouble trying to figure out how Minecraft actually works so that I can teach him.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â