Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

for the wet slides, i have to buy these for my kids as part of their kindergarten kit (google photo, not my kids) wellies too

Waterproof Clothing For Kids | Kids Outdoor Clothing | Wet Wednesdays

they don't seem that popular in the UK but they do make a lot of sense

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

for the wet slides, i have to buy these for my kids as part of their kindergarten kit (google photo, not my kids) wellies too

We've got similar for ours. Full body ones. One basically lives at nursery for when they need it

On another note, we did CBeebies land at Alton Towers last Monday with my lad. He's 2 and a half and he **** loved it. I'd highly recommend it.

Make sure you expose them to Postman Pat, Teletubbies, Duggy, Bluey and the Night Garden before you go. They're the main attractions there and it's much better when they know the characters.

Had a great time

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

On another note, we did CBeebies land at Alton Towers last Monday with my lad. He's 2 and a half and he **** loved it. I'd highly recommend it.

Make sure you expose them to Postman Pat, Teletubbies, Duggy, Bluey and the Night Garden before you go. They're the main attractions there and it's much better when they know the characters.

Had a great time

Have you been to Thomas Land at Drayton Manor? Loads of stuff for the little ones there (plus the zoo).

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Have you been to Thomas Land at Drayton Manor? Loads of stuff for the little ones there (plus the zoo).

Nope not yet but it's on the list of stuff to do. Heard good things

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Took my 17 month to sealife centre a few weeks back. He didn't care for anything and just wanted to run around. 60 odd quid well spent!

I took my kids to one in turkey on holiday

I got them excited and they ran round screaming for Nemo Nemo Nemo...and they didn't have any 🤦‍♂️ but my kids love animals 

did see something on social media a few weeks back that its stupid how one of the first things we teach our kids is animal noises, the cow goes moo, the duck goes quack - knowledge in life that they will never need - but surely everyone does that shit?

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Took my 17 month to sealife centre a few weeks back. He didn't care for anything and just wanted to run around. 60 odd quid well spent!

Yeah tried that at a similar age with similar results :D 

I don't think mine would have had half as much fun at CBeebies land if we'd gone 6 months ago

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Had a great time

Didnt even know this existed but a quick look and it looks great. My lad (also 2.5) is obsessed with the Go Go Jetters atm so this would be amazing for him. Cheers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Didnt even know this existed but a quick look and it looks great. My lad (also 2.5) is obsessed with the Go Go Jetters atm so this would be amazing for him. Cheers. 

Yeah about the right age for them to start enjoying it.

Couple of the rides were too "scary" for mine. There's a small rollercoaster which we didn't even attempt, and my lad cried his eyes out at the prospect of going on Peter Rabbit's Hop Along ride (sounds terrifying as you can tell!). But everything else he loved.

I thought we'd be done in a couple of hours but we were there when it opened at 10 and by 5 when it was closing we could still have found a few things to do we hadn't seen yet.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

its stupid how one of the first things we teach our kids is animal noises, the cow goes moo, the duck goes quack - knowledge in life that they will never need - but surely everyone does that shit?

You never know when you may need to say boo to a goose. 

Posted (edited)

On a slightly different subject. Anyone have much experience with speech delay? 

My boy doesn't talk too well for his age, he understands most things we say to him but his pronunciation of words is quite poor. His mum and I can understand what he means when he wants something but that's due to being around him so much. It's become apparent that nursery don't have a **** clue what he's saying :D 

Part of me thinks it's not much to worry about as he's only 2 and a half, but when comparing his speech to other kids of a similar age at nursery, some are stringing together full sentences.

We've been referred to Language and Speech delay thing via NHS but there seems to be an insane waiting list for that, so not really expecting too much from it. Anyone been in a similar scenario and gone private for help?

Edited by PieFacE

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

did see something on social media a few weeks back that its stupid how one of the first things we teach our kids is animal noises, the cow goes moo, the duck goes quack - knowledge in life that they will never need - but surely everyone does that shit?

It's probably because they can make noises before they can talk a lot of the time. Or at least before they can properly form sentences. Coupled with recognition it's probably the easiest thing to teach them basic recognition and recall

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

My boy doesn't talk too well for his age, he understands most things we say to him but his pronunciation of words is quite poor. His mum and I can understand what he means when he wants something but that's due to being around him so much. It's become apparent that nursery don't have a **** clue what he's saying :D 

Part of me thinks it's not much to worry about as he's only 2 and a half, but when comparing his speech to other kids of a similar age at nursery, some are stringing together full sentences.

We've been referred to Language and Speech delay thing via NHS but there seems to be an insane waiting list for that, so not really expecting too much from it. Anyone been in a similar scenario and gone private for help?

I wouldn't worry just yet, their developmental rates vary wildly from one kid to another.  When my daughter was about the same age as your lad, we visited friends who had a son of the same age. My mate was quite worried, I remember him saying "Bloody hell, you can have a conversation with Alice, but Martin can barely speak coherently". Fast forward to today, and Martin has two masters degrees and is a teacher. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Just now, mjmooney said:

I wouldn't worry just yet, their developmental rates vary wildly from one kid to another.  When my daughter was about the same age as your lad, we visited friends who had a son of the same age. My mate was quite worried, I remember him saying "Bloody hell, you can have a conversation with Alice, but Martin can barely speak coherently". Fast forward to today, and Martin has two masters degrees and is a teacher. 

Yeah what Mike said.

Unless there's an actual medical issue then I'd say there's nothing to worry about. They develop at different times, and often in huge leaps.

Ours was a bit slower than some in string words together, then suddenly in the space of a couple of weeks he made this huge leap and caught up. Others in his class are behind, some are in front.

They'll get there. And when they do is completely inconsequential 

• Like 3

It's the same with reading. It was always a given in our family that we (me, the wife, both daughters) learned to read before starting school. Our first granddaughter showed no such aptitude (or interest), so we were a little perplexed. She was in reception class at school when covid hit, and still struggling with reading. During the lockdown her dad worked with her, and by the time school resumed her reading was well ahead of the rest of the class. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

These are brilliant, loads better than an all in one or having to change them, and go extra fast on the right slide 

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

My wife's  nephew did - you would never know it today (think  they did get a bit of help, but was probably for reassurance more than anything else). 

My niece did also and still struggles to find the words sometimes, but she is still finishing her degree this year. 

My two are quite different,  one a very early talker and was much more articulate than our second at the age she is now, but we're not too worried. 

As others have said, they all develop differently, but if you are worried enough, a consultation won't  do any harm.

Edit: Just remembered that nursery said about my youngest that they could understand what she says a lot more now and that she's  talking more. It was a bit of a surprise in that  she is very outgoing generally and very chatty at home, but others have said before that they think she is just babbling,  when we can understand everything she says

Edited by one_ian_taylor
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

My wife woke me up at 7.45pm tonight cos I fell asleep wile putting my daughter to bed  

This has happened to me a lot, they are always such good naps. Though it happens much less now, probably  because if the longer  days. 

On the toddler frustration,  this reached a new height the other day when my eldest stopped halfway to nursery and wanted to to back home because the brake lever on her bike was cold and she wanted to get her gloves. Of course, this was the hottest day of the year. And the train was pulling out of the platform just as I got there. 

• Like 1

Thank you guys so much for the tips/advice we really appreciate it. It sounds corny but you guys don’t know how much hearing your experience mean to me! 

We (me and my missus) barely argue, we have each others back a lot of the time and if we do have a disagreement then it’s solved quickly. We are excited but scared at the same time. 

We are already hands on in our relationship and we’ve both had family members that have recently had kids so we both have a bit of experience in being with babies. Although I know it’s nothing like being a parent yourself. 

We aren’t snobbish so we will be ok taking second hand baby stuff, that’s no issue. We are also quite head strong and can deal with quite a lot, although this is pretty unknown to us. We’ve spoken about the pressures of having a child and raising them, we’ve had people around recently that seemed fine in their relationship and then bang they’re on the verge of splitting up due to poor communication etc. 

Also our child supporting Villa is a non-negotiable 😂, my missus is not the biggest football fan but I managed to also convert her into a Villa fan as well. 

But once again thank you guys so much for all the replies and advice we really appreciate it! 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â