Irreverentad's Fantasy Premier League 2022/23

Rds1983

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

how?? pretty much all of those players have had returns this season! i'd say the only one from that list that has really underperformed is son

Not sure ha ha. Every time I transfer a player in, they seem to be cursed to blank, not start/not get picked at all the next game (Diaz and now Zinchenko), or get injured (Maddison). I've stuck with Robertson and Salah since the beginning (and will continue to do so, even though they've been unpromising). Martinelli has been my only relatively consistent player.

Just used Diaz > James as my free transfer, so I'm sure the same fate will suddenly befall him too.

4 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

Not sure ha ha. Every time I transfer a player in, they seem to be cursed to blank, not start/not get picked at all the next game (Diaz and now Zinchenko), or get injured (Maddison). I've stuck with Robertson and Salah since the beginning (and will continue to do so, even though they've been unpromising). Martinelli has been my only relatively consistent player.

Just used Diaz > James as my free transfer, so I'm sure the same fate will suddenly befall him too.

james i think i will stick with. fofana coming in should see him WB a bit more often. as today proved, even if he doesn't get the clean sheet he's always an attacking threat

I mean, there are some FPL players (like Magnus Carlsen) who finish in the top 10k consistently, so there must be knack to it, but I'm not sure what it is.

The stupid thing is I actually planned this year. Made sure to pick players with a 'good' run of games. Made sure my players don't play against each other. Made sure I don't lose more than 4 points if I need to make transfers.

I keep scoring below the average as well, and the average week-by-week seems much higher on the whole, same as late last season. Has the general style of play changed?

It's not as if I have a problem with predicting the results - I tend to predict pretty well who's going to win/draw - but none of my players seem to be contributing to goals or keeping clean sheets. Until I transfer them out, of course ha ha.

Edited by His Name Is Death

4 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

I mean, there are some FPL players (like Magnus Carlsen) who finish in the top 10k consistently, so there must be knack to it, but I'm not sure what it is.

The stupid thing is I actually planned this year. Made sure to pick players with a 'good' run of games. Made sure my players don't play against each other. Made sure I don't lose more than 4 points if I need to make transfers.

I keep scoring below the average as well, and the average week-by-week seems much higher on the whole, same as late last season. Has the general style of play changed?

It's not as if I have a problem with predicting the results - I tend to predict pretty well who's going to win/draw - but none of my players seem to be contributing to goals or keeping clean sheets. Until I transfer them out, of course ha ha.

Is it possible you're jumping around from player to player, straight after they've scored? In general, trying to own the player who just scored while selling a quality player who just blanked, can often work out badly, as consecutive hauls are comparitively rare. 300,000 people just jumped off Trent who got 17pts. He didn't become bad. They just wanted a new shiny thing. My advice, if you keep managing to miss the hauls, is to possibly slow down on the player turnover and trust more the players you have. You bought them for a reason.

2 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

The stupid thing is I actually planned this year. Made sure to pick players with a 'good' run of games. Made sure my players weren't playing against each other. Made sure I don't lose more than 4 points if I need to make transfers.

It's not as if I have a problem with predicting the results - I tend to predict very well who's going to win - but none of my players seem to be contributing to goals or keeping clean sheets. Until I transfer them out, of course ha ha.

so this year i've decided to take it seriously for the first time really. been watching some of the youtubers and following a few on twitter. at the moment i think the general tactic is sticking largely to the template, not investing anything really in the bench, and not taking risks. i'm curious to know what they do come the business end of the season as i'm sure there must be a knack to getting that top 10k

from what i've seen so far there seems to be a balance between knee jerk reactions if a player performs poorly vs knowing when to transfer a player out. for me, at the moment anyway, i seem to be getting this right. i stuck with perisic for another week and he got 12 points.

there's also a big element of luck. this week i transferred out mahrez (who ended up blanking despite city scoring 4) for gross who got the only goal in brightons win so will get the 3 bonus points as well. it could so easily have been a bad move so it sounds like your results have been down to rotten luck above anything else

36 minutes ago, BOF said:

Is it possible you're jumping around from player to player, straight after they've scored? In general, trying to own the player who just scored while selling a quality player who just blanked, can often work out badly, as consecutive hauls are comparitively rare. 300,000 people just jumped off Trent who got 17pts. He didn't become bad. They just wanted a new shiny thing. My advice, if you keep managing to miss the hauls, is to possibly slow down on the player turnover and trust more the players you have. You bought them for a reason.

I used to knee-jerk when another player scored or one of my own blanked, but I haven't been doing that this year. I jumped players round a bit in GW2 and GW3. I was originally quite defender and midfielder-heavy, as in previous seasons, but I quickly realised that strikers were going to be much stronger this season and needed funds to bring Haaland in (who I didn't have in GW1-3) and Jesus back in (who I had in GW1 but chickened out off, mistakenly thinking he was mediocre asset to have in the long run, like when he was at City), hence why TAA, Saka, Perisic and Son had to be moved out. I thought Darwin was going to do this for me, but then he went and got sent off!

As I say, I haven't lost more than 4 points in a week doing transfers, so I haven't been doing it to an excessive degree. Liverpool and Man City being pretty crap defensively, against my expectations, hasn't helped.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I’m now of the opinion that Salah is currently overpriced and may need to get rid to balance the price vs points

I'm giving him at least one more go as (C). Scored 9 and he didn't get on the scoresheet? Most certainly he's going to be gunning for glory mid-week.

4 hours ago, a-k said:

I'm giving him at least one more go as (C). Scored 9 and he didn't get on the scoresheet? Most certainly he's going to be gunning for glory mid-week.

Not convinced.Liverpool seem to have changed their approach. Salah seems to stay outside more with TTA cutting into the box. Two games in a row I've watched their full game and it’s happened both games. Mind you Salah also missed two sitters having said that but there seems to be some sort of club record he’s one goal away from taking off Gerrard so maybe that is also playing tricks with his mind

GW4 transfers in:
Saliba / KDB = 9 points

GW4 transfers out:
Sterling / Robertson = 24 

I often wonder why I even bother. It's stupid for me to look at really because I was never going to keep both of them but it's just so frustrating. Ended on 59 points and another small red arrow.
4IGusMf.png

ross-geller-david-schwimmer.gif

I have my finger hovering over a wildcard wk with 9 changes and the only reason I'm not doing it right now is that it leaves me with 1.6 million sloshing about so I'm still trying to work out if I can spend more to improve

If I'm getting rid of Salah and going for a more even spread of pounds and points. I could go this way...

But I'll never get Salah back if his form / Liverppol's tactics change. So I'm still undecided. (Massively!)

wildcard.png

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

I have my finger hovering over a wildcard wk with 9 changes and the only reason I'm not doing it right now is that it leaves me with 1.6 million sloshing about so I'm still trying to work out if I can spend more to improve

If I'm getting rid of Salah and going for a more even spread of pounds and points. I could go this way...

But I'll never get Salah back if his form / Liverppol's tactics change. So I'm still undecided. (Massively!)

wildcard.png

i'm keeping salah till at least week 8 when i might wildcard i think. liverpool have got some good fixtures and i think he was fine on saturday. should've scored at least 2. but based on his current returns i agree he probably is now a bit overpriced

1 hour ago, bickster said:

wildcard.png

This looks suspiciously like a team that has it's money spread too thinly

• Like 1

I pushed the button

Son out for KDB

Robbo out for Perisic

I don't think KDB is good enough value long term, but their immediate fixtures are delicious so I'm banking on a spurt from him, then I'll probably downgrade to Diaz longer term and use the money elsewhere