Irreverentad's Fantasy Premier League 2022/23

Rds1983

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

By the way please don't think I, or anyone else, is trying to dictate how someone plays the game. I say absolutely go for it if you have a feeling for something. That's not me being facetious and wishing you into a disaster. It's a game and it should be fun. Play it your way. We only ever come in here beacuse I assume we like the to and fro of talking the game too. Trying to steal a march is fun. Having the guy who hauls is a great feeling. I was only saying that GW2 might be a bit early.  Even 2 or 3 more weeks makes it a much 'safer' punt.  Personally I think going into gameweek 2 is about the most dangerous week of the season, because we're "armed" with 1 solitary week of info that will steer us heavily in one direction which could be (and often is...) completely thrown out the window by the gameweek 2 info.  So it's almost like a false confidence making GW2 decisions.  Even GW3 doubles the amount of info you have.  Now I accept that in GW2 by picking the right person you could make big gains. Just for me it's statistically less likely, that's all.  But always, always, play the game the way you want to play it and don't pay mind to us if you don't agree with the approach.  If we all played the same, we'd end up with the same players and that'd be proper shit :D 

the advice from the likes of yourself and @Rds1983 is appreciated...i'm only just this season taking it a bit more seriously (and quickly realising the major errors i've made in previous years!)

the problem is playing the game the way i've wanted to play in the past hasn't ended too well! that's why i'm thinking to follow the pack for a bit and see how i go. captaining cancelo sounds like a great idea in my head until haaland bangs in a hat trick and bournemouth blag a late consolation goal...typically it's these sort of gambles that have backfired on me in previous years!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

the advice from the likes of yourself and @Rds1983 is appreciated...i'm only just this season taking it a bit more seriously (and quickly realising the major errors i've made in previous years!)

the problem is playing the game the way i've wanted to play in the past hasn't ended too well! that's why i'm thinking to follow the pack for a bit and see how i go. captaining cancelo sounds like a great idea in my head until haaland bangs in a hat trick and bournemouth blag a late consolation goal...typically it's these sort of gambles that have backfired on me in previous years!

And that leads me to another thing about this game. Try not to dwell on the outcome of a decision. If you do something and it doesn't work out, that doesn't mean your thought process was wrong. You can make sound tactical decisions that end up not working, but over the course of a season they will more often than not.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

And that leads me to another thing about this game. Try not to dwell on the outcome of a decision. If you do something and it doesn't work out, that doesn't mean your thought process was wrong. You can make sound tactical decisions that end up not working, but over the course of a season they will more often than not.

This is something I can agree with 100%.

Unless Stevo985 also agrees with it and then I think I'm now obliged to argue. 

28 minutes ago, BOF said:

oh agree with this definitely. the kane/haaland GW1 decision being a classic example. could've gone either way that

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I had Andreas in all my drafts and went for Bailey in the end because I ended up with an extra 0.5 in the bank. Wish I hadn't. I'm probably being too hard on Bailey and Villa but I'm not optimistic.

I'll take a close look on Saturday

I was of a similar mind with Villa Players, bench Cash and Bailey but put Archer in up front (because what harm can he do there!) then I talked to Evertonians and they reminded me of how shit they are at Villa Park and that Bailey actually tore them a new one last season

7 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Your F1 analogy. Would you rather make a mistake and give up 20 seconds to Verstappen in the first or final lap? In the final lap you not only lose out on Verstappen but probably also the podium. 

In the final lap I’d know whether I needed to take the risk that could lead to the mistake. If I was winning I wouldn’t need to do it. If I wasn’t where I wanted to be then I could take the risk knowing it was my only chance to get to where I need to be. 

Taking that risk on lap 1 would be idiotic. It MIGHT pay off, but why would you take the risk?

3 hours ago, bickster said:

I was of a similar mind with Villa Players, bench Cash and Bailey but put Archer in up front (because what harm can he do there!) then I talked to Evertonians and they reminded me of how shit they are at Villa Park and that Bailey actually tore them a new one last season

Oh yeah Bailey will be in this week. Ideally I’d keep him but I’m so deflated after the Bournemouth game I can’t really see it

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

In the final lap I’d know whether I needed to take the risk that could lead to the mistake. If I was winning I wouldn’t need to do it. If I wasn’t where I wanted to be then I could take the risk knowing it was my only chance to get to where I need to be. 

Taking that risk on lap 1 would be idiotic. It MIGHT pay off, but why would you take the risk?

The original poster has moved on from this. I suggest we do the same. 

18 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

took bailey out. looks like that turned out to be a good decision. gonna be a lot of pissed off people though

Villa fans, OK. But for the twitter mob, if you're relying on a 5.0 MF then that's your own problem 😅

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, a-k said:

Every year the same bloody s*** from Digne

Easiest transfer out this week. Just need to do it before he goes to 4.9.

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

took bailey out. looks like that turned out to be a good decision. gonna be a lot of pissed off people though

Getting him at the start of the season was surely a risk and a gamble. Having him at this stage of the season would be idiotic. It might have paid off but why would you take the risk? 

3 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Getting him at the start of the season was surely a risk and a gamble. Having him at this stage of the season would be idiotic. It might have paid off but why would you take the risk? 

i was going to leave him a few weeks with the view to bringing in martinelli for the easy arsenal fixtures but was forced into the change when i saw martinelli's price about to go up. cost me -4 but had no choice really

13 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i was going to leave him a few weeks with the view to bringing in martinelli for the easy arsenal fixtures but was forced into the change when i saw martinelli's price about to go up. cost me -4 but had no choice really

Bailey was an understandable gamble to take and was in some of my early drafts. I just couldn't resist posting after the debate yesterday about risk taking and seeing his ownership. 

Hopefully Martinelli works out well for you bud. Should be a sound choice long term.