Gompedyret

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Well he's just simply leaving. Hence not wanting to sign a new contract and that's basically that. We should just freeze these players out of the entire set-up. They can sit there for a year playing no football and then get their move. Need to be ruthless with them. 

Now its Youth players, season ticket holders and OAPs you are against

Who do you want at Villa?

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Well he's just simply leaving. Hence not wanting to sign a new contract and that's basically that. We should just freeze these players out of the entire set-up. They can sit there for a year playing no football and then get their move. Need to be ruthless with them. 

I'm sure this would really help us bringing other youth prospects here. Show them we're a good club to sign for.

Dumbo thinking. Sort of thing Chris Heck would do.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Now its Youth players, season ticket holders and OAPs you are against

Is it Keir Starmer? 

Edited by Xela
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm sure this would really help us bringing other youth prospects here. Show them we're a good club to sign for.

Dumbo thinking. Sort of thing Chris Heck would do.

It's not though it's the correct thing to do. It won't have any effect on other prospects signing for us at all. If he doesn't want to sign a new contract with us then why should we give him any opportunities. It would be idiotic to try to develop him as a player when you know he's walking out the door at the end of the season and mostly likely has already agreed a contract with another club. 

I'm baffled as to why anyone thinks we should be playing him in any match. We aren't hurting his development, he is.  

Edited by villa89

Gone are the days when reserve and youth teams and the staff/coaches were primarily focussed on winning their leagues and any cups as their raison d'etre. Now, with the way academies are structured its all about developing talent that not in the first instance sees a return in the form of them getting into Villa's first team, but they become assets that can go into professional football somewhere and that monetary return for selling a player not deemed good enough for Villa, which in turn pays for the academy. These players get the best of our coaching and taught to play in a way that follows the Emery philosophy. 

Now, if you have a player that has no intention of going but running their contract down and leaving, what duty do the club have to that player? Helping them develop and get the best coaching in the best environment, but for absolute zero return? Or allowing them to play in the hope that they might stay and sign a contract and go somewhere for let's be generous and say £10m somewhere. Wilson hasn't played a minute of first team football so wouldn't be anywhere near that price, so what we'd get is absolutely minimal. 

If he. or any player, wants to leave then fine, that's entirely up to him and it could be the making of him. But why play him ahead of someone committed to Aston Villa and who may benefit from a year's playing and training that he may not otherwise get because Wilson is given that time even though he's leaving? I'm fine with him coming to Bodymoor, doing some work, but not much more than that if he doesn't want to part of the development.

Higher potential academy players get offered a second pro deal when they turn eighteen, as then there are no limits to length of contract, that Wilson hasn't signed this contract yet after eight months is normal, Kadan Young who turned eighteen around the same time only just signed his, Patterson took eleven months, I'm pretty sure Aaron Ramsey and Philogene didn't sign theirs until they were nineteen, so if we had a policy of not playing players that haven't signed a second pro deal, then we would have lost those players for nothing pretty much

If he's told the club he has no intention of signing a new contract, he wouldn't be playing to the extent he has been, he probably would have already left in the summer transfer window. Most probably he's either going to sign a new deal, and it will happen when it happens, or he's undecided, and still deciding what's best for his career

Edited by useless
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, peterw said:

Gone are the days when reserve and youth teams and the staff/coaches were primarily focussed on winning their leagues and any cups as their raison d'etre. Now, with the way academies are structured its all about developing talent that not in the first instance sees a return in the form of them getting into Villa's first team, but they become assets that can go into professional football somewhere and that monetary return for selling a player not deemed good enough for Villa, which in turn pays for the academy. These players get the best of our coaching and taught to play in a way that follows the Emery philosophy. 

Now, if you have a player that has no intention of going but running their contract down and leaving, what duty do the club have to that player? Helping them develop and get the best coaching in the best environment, but for absolute zero return? Or allowing them to play in the hope that they might stay and sign a contract and go somewhere for let's be generous and say £10m somewhere. Wilson hasn't played a minute of first team football so wouldn't be anywhere near that price, so what we'd get is absolutely minimal. 

If he. or any player, wants to leave then fine, that's entirely up to him and it could be the making of him. But why play him ahead of someone committed to Aston Villa and who may benefit from a year's playing and training that he may not otherwise get because Wilson is given that time even though he's leaving? I'm fine with him coming to Bodymoor, doing some work, but not much more than that if he doesn't want to part of the development.

I think the value in treating this lad well and furthering his development even if he wants to go elsewhere, as others have mentioned, is to be a top target destination for the country's best talent. This is one kid, if we treat him badly and hold him back out of spite then others might be a bit wary of coming. The benefits of doing our best for him regardless could be 10 kids as good as him through the door at a younger age.

Only takes 1 or 2 of them to make it to be worth it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AndyClarke said:

Or they rate Kobei more highly.

He's more rounded isn't he?

More skilful, more pace, etc.

Not as good as a finisher as Wilson, but the more round player.

(Im not saying that as fact btw, I know little about them other than watching the odd game on Youtube & the words of others. Moore, not Wilson. Never seen him play at all.)

Edited by Andy_10

3 hours ago, Andy_10 said:

He's more rounded isn't he?

More skilful, more pace, etc.

Not as good as a finisher as Wilson, but the more round player.

(Im not saying that as fact btw, I know little about them other than watching the odd game on Youtube & the words of others. Moore, not Wilson. Never seen him play at all.)

He's definitely more physically ready and able to link up the play.

Worth a trip to Bodymoor for the u21s if you get the chance, only a fiver.

13 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

He's definitely more physically ready and able to link up the play.

Worth a trip to Bodymoor for the u21s if you get the chance, only a fiver.

I would love to mate. I will pm you.

I was hoping that he had signed the contract, given the recent posts on here. Hopefully he will see that the grass isn't greener at one of the former big six such as Chelsea or Manchester United, who haven't really got a great recent record of bringing their own players into their first team reckoning. I can't think of a club I would rather be at now, if I was a young talented footballer. 

On 26/09/2024 at 12:11, CVByrne said:

We have to be mindful of our reputation…..news of how we treat academy kids is our currency, when recruiting new prospects.

Letting one player, ruin that reputation, by us treating him by being vindictive is not professional or conducive to great academy.

There will inevitably be unconvinced, youngsters for whatever reason…..so be it, it’s their future at risk.

However, We have to secure the big picture and be known for being a good employer and developer of youth.

Look how Kane Taylor, left and came back.

Its incumbent on us to remain professional and that means adhering to a duty of care for these young boys and not let individual cases mar our model.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â