Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

I'm not sure what we do if Cash isn't fit.

Has Carlos played Bogarde into starting against Bayern Munich when he'd only ever played league one before this season? And he's been not good when playing this year.

I really like Ned but he's clearly doing something Unai doesn't like.

Edited by Tomaszk

Team at fault for letting Ipswich back into the game, too pedestrian in attack, turned down multiple break opportunities, with overloads, to pass back 'build' the perfect goal - happy for this normally, but when we are breaking, be cut throat and go for goal.  We have laboured to get 7 points from 3 relegation candidates, maybe down to them sitting in, but its not quite where I would hope we would be, or indeed top 6 'form'. Having said that, could have beaten Arsenal with the luck of the green.

For the equaliser, Konsa left a hole, no one filled it, Delap takes advantage, but then Carlos is awful, could have pushed him wide, could have taken him out, as others have said - body position, make him do more to get the shot off.  Maybe he has lost alot since the injury, but I really have never seen what the attraction is with Carlos - can't jump, definitely can't head, turns like the QE2, seems to want to niggle everyone, casual in possession around the box, but is ok in a wrestle with Haarland or Antonio.  

I was very surprised that he was rumoured to go in summer - which scout would go for him?  I realise we are PSR hamstrung, but we are once again light at RB - Konsa has to play at CB, and then one of the youngsters at RB - can't be worse than Carlos in CB.  I don't recall where, but heard an interesting shout of Kamara at RB when he's fit - can't be worse than Carlos.....I wonder how much we can spend on any half decent RB/ a loan at Christmas?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Has Carlos played Bogarde into starting against Bayern Munich when he'd only ever played league one before this season? And he's been not good when playing this year.

Or Emery deems the 18 year old kid not ready for consistant Premier League and Champions League football? There are barely any 18 year old defenders playing consistently in the premier league for any team

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Im fairly sure it will be Carlos and Konsa at right back. For me its clearly Unai's preferred option (even with Cash fit) and he'll keep working to improve it. 

4 hours ago, Ingers said:

Team at fault for letting Ipswich back into the game, too pedestrian in attack, turned down multiple break opportunities, with overloads, to pass back 'build' the perfect goal - happy for this normally, but when we are breaking, be cut throat and go for goal.  We have laboured to get 7 points from 3 relegation candidates, maybe down to them sitting in, but its not quite where I would hope we would be, or indeed top 6 'form'. Having said that, could have beaten Arsenal with the luck of the green.

For the equaliser, Konsa left a hole, no one filled it, Delap takes advantage, but then Carlos is awful, could have pushed him wide, could have taken him out, as others have said - body position, make him do more to get the shot off.  Maybe he has lost alot since the injury, but I really have never seen what the attraction is with Carlos - can't jump, definitely can't head, turns like the QE2, seems to want to niggle everyone, casual in possession around the box, but is ok in a wrestle with Haarland or Antonio.  

I was very surprised that he was rumoured to go in summer - which scout would go for him?  I realise we are PSR hamstrung, but we are once again light at RB - Konsa has to play at CB, and then one of the youngsters at RB - can't be worse than Carlos in CB.  I don't recall where, but heard an interesting shout of Kamara at RB when he's fit - can't be worse than Carlos.....I wonder how much we can spend on any half decent RB/ a loan at Christmas?

Trouble is our Achilles Heel is well known now, by our opponents.

The long ball down the right.....2 CB's who are not known for heading or Dominant play, all in all.....spells "weakness"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

If Cash didn’t make the bench against Ipswich he won’t be starting against Bayern. 

Unai has to pick the strongest line up he can from the players available and as much as many on here don’t like it, Carlos is a better back up CB than Bogarde is a back up RB. 

Edited by Fight Like Lions

1 hour ago, Chicken Field said:

Or Emery deems the 18 year old kid not ready for consistant Premier League and Champions League football? There are barely any 18 year old defenders playing consistently in the premier league for any team

It wouldn't be that consistent, it would be covering for Cash.

Plus, he's an 18 year old who has international and Champions League experience already.

And in his place we've had a 20 year old out of position who has 22 starts for Bristol Rovers in league one as his only prior first team experience.

I think Ned is doing something Unai doesn't like/want. Probably trying to overlap and attack all the time when he wants him to hold the shape.

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Plus, he's an 18 year old who has international and Champions League experience already.

And in his place we've had a 20 year old out of position who has 22 starts for Bristol Rovers in league one as his only prior first team experience.

I think Ned is doing something Unai doesn't like/want. Probably trying to overlap and attack all the time when he wants him to hold the shape.

He does have some experience, that is true - he probably has a lot of learning to do to fit into what Emery desires, I also imagine he simply has a lot of maturing to do too and protecting his development. Interesting, as far as my research has gone, he is the youngest defender in the league this season, the second youngest is hujsen at 19yo. 

I imagine Emery finds Bogarde more mature and ready for first team football. Altough he has not impressed me personally, neither has Carlos. 

Have we ever contemplated trying Diego at Right Back and Konsa back at CB where he belongs?

I feel Carlos has the athleticsm to play there, and his clangers would maybe be a bit less dangerous too?

I'd rather have the risk of him on the right, and the certainty of Konsa at CB.

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Have we ever contemplated trying Diego at Right Back and Konsa back at CB where he belongs?

I feel Carlos has the athleticsm to play there, and his clangers would maybe be a bit less dangerous too?

I'd rather have the risk of him on the right, and the certainty of Konsa at CB.

Athleticism like that of an olympic shot putter.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I wonder if Ned's best chance of playing is when Mings is back and we go the other way and have the right back attacking, with Konsa, Pau and Mings as the other defenders.  I also wonder whether it might be better to stick Diego at right back rather than Ezri in the meantime, surely it can't be that hard a role to learn and potentially less dangerous to our prospects than having him in the middle.

Edited by sharkyvilla

7 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I wonder if Ned's best chance of playing is when Mings is back and we go the other way and have the right back attacking, with Konsa, Pau and Mings as the other defenders.  I also wonder whether it might be better to stick Diego at right back rather than Ezri in the meantime, surely it can't be that hard a role to learn and potentially less dangerous to our prospects than having him in the middle.

I thought about Carlos at RB as well.

I suppose the thinking with Konsa there is he's especially quick and agile for a CB so can adjust better...but recently, he's been skinned out there more than I've ever seen!

I don't think it's something we'll see.

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I thought about Carlos at RB as well.

I suppose the thinking with Konsa there is he's especially quick and agile for a CB so can adjust better...but recently, he's been skinned out there more than I've ever seen!

I don't think it's something we'll see.

We have two high quality left backs. I’ve often wondered whether one of them would be a better option at right back. You often get wingers playing on both flanks, why not full backs? Unai must have at least considered it.

• Like 3

I trust him more vs better sides, he stays more concentrated, he takes less stupid risks.

When we play weaker opposition he gets lazy, careless and constantly switches off. It's what annoys me the most about him, he can be a good defender but he decides not to be a lot of the time.  

If he plays...We need a performance out him him tonight.....Not the sulky melancholy, he has sought to wallow in.

He needs to find the form, that prompted us to pay good money for an aging player, and pay us back for a long period on the sidelines earning Hollywood money.

Over to you Diego.....Time to prove us all wrong, you have the floor.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â