Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

I can’t see how Unai will have watched the game yesterday and thinks that’s we are better off with Carlos in the team. We look 100 times better with Konsa at CB and Ned/ Bogarde at RB. 

I really would be worried what Munich will do to us if we start with the same 11 as yesterday. 

Even a 5 at the back might make more sense with Ned and Maatsen pushing forward when they can. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

His defending for the goal was horrific. Schoolboy stuff. His body positioning and his weight distribution is all wrong. He should be low and side on facing the attacker, pushing him onto his left foot and forcing him wide. The way he positions his body makes it so easy for Delap to just sell him a dummy to the point he almost falls over. It's really, really bad. 

i didnt really understand why he waited so late to engage, he almost ran side by side into the 18 yard box. I think he could have committed Delap earlier on and pushed him much wider.

Am I imagining this or was it someone else? I was in a busy pub and only caught a replay.

For that VAR check in stoppage time, did he try and reach out and nearly handballed it even though it was nowhere near him?

I think the Delap goal is bad but that later incident had me thinking he was almost trying to handball it?? I could be wrong, but that was a lot more unforgivable if it was the case.

I'm not usually one to dig out players but he looks like he's genuinely packed it in. Pre-season was also the same.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Seems like I'm the only one who can't pin the blame squarely at Carlos.

For me it's a team issue: Konsa runs up the RHS and stays advanced. As a wingback you would expect the team to cover the advanced out of position RB. That would mean a midfielder (?) or Philogene dropping back to pick up Delap, just in case there is a transition.

When you look at the space behind Konsa on the transition there is literally a quarter of the pitch for him to run into, not one player is occupying that area. As Delap closes in on the box Carlos is back peddling covering the right sided centre back position and trying to reduce his option. IN fairness Delaps neat dummy and quick shot is top class and slots it in the corner where Martinez can't get to. Its an excellent finish.

I just feel you are hanging Carlos out to dry when there are so many other failings on others when he has his own responsibilities to manage too.

I think you make a really good point tbh. We were 2 - 1 up at the time yesterday so I think it's only right to point out why we are leaving huge gaps at the back when we were leading the game. Carlos did defend the attack shockingly bad though tbh. He got turned inside out far too easily leaving Delap an open goal to shoot at. I did think the defending from the team was very cavalier though, as it has been this season so far. Prostitutes have more clean sheets than us ffs. 

21 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Am I imagining this or was it someone else? I was in a busy pub and only caught a replay.

For that VAR check in stoppage time, did he try and reach out and nearly handballed it even though it was nowhere near him?

I think the Delap goal is bad but that later incident had me thinking he was almost trying to handball it?? I could be wrong, but that was a lot more unforgivable if it was the case.

I'm not usually one to dig out players but he looks like he's genuinely packed it in. Pre-season was also the same.

Yeah that was him again. 

He seems to have lost his head completely. Obviously Unai wanted rid in the summer and he’s decided he’s not putting in a shift anymore. 

Think the issue isnt the goal was whole performance. Delap had a free header in first half and he tried to block a cross with legs instead of head

Am guessing something happened behind the scenes as he is defending like Michael Keane at moment

Edited by Zatman

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Think the issue isnt the goal was whole performance. Delap had a free header in first half and he tried to block a cross with legs instead of head

Am guessing something happened behind the scenes as he is defending like Michael Keane at moment

He's looked off it since that red card in pre-season.  I think it's clear he's not wanted, and he doesn't want to be here, his performances have shown that.  

• Like 1

On 25/05/2022 at 08:49, Woody1000 said:

Would be a very good signing, definitely would add real quality to our back line.

Let's think back to 2022 when we said he would add quality to our backline 😄

But we were warned 🤣🤣

On 25/05/2022 at 09:20, Rustibrooks said:

of course lol

Edited by calcifer
Spelling
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, thunderball said:

Seems like I'm the only one who can't pin the blame squarely at Carlos.

For me it's a team issue: Konsa runs up the RHS and stays advanced. As a wingback you would expect the team to cover the advanced out of position RB. That would mean a midfielder (?) or Philogene dropping back to pick up Delap, just in case there is a transition.

When you look at the space behind Konsa on the transition there is literally a quarter of the pitch for him to run into, not one player is occupying that area. As Delap closes in on the box Carlos is back peddling covering the right sided centre back position and trying to reduce his option. IN fairness Delaps neat dummy and quick shot is top class and slots it in the corner where Martinez can't get to. Its an excellent finish.

I just feel you are hanging Carlos out to dry when there are so many other failings on others when he has his own responsibilities to manage too.

If one of our players scored that goal, the narrative would be what a brilliant bit of play and finish it was. Nothing would be mentioned about the defender. 

But because we conceded it, Carlos is a liability, was at fault all game, is the worst defender ever, blah blah blah. 

Our defence, as a whole, shipped a lot of goals last season and seems to continue to do so this season. Yet people seem to pin everything on Carlos. 

Is he the standard of player we need for where we are now trying to dine - no, probably not - but he is part of an ongoing problem (shipping goals in a defence which includes the worlds best 'keeper) not the only problem. 

• Like 2

Some good posts here about the TEAM defending for that goal. IMO, 3 players at fault. Konsa should have played simple pass out to JP but tried the intricate pass inside and we lost possession cheaply. Onana completely failed to cover the space Konsa left when he advanced down the wing. Carlos had a lot of covering to do then as Delap had acres to run into. Carlos messed it up completely. 

Such a cliche but ‘we defend as a team’ is such a truism in an Emery team. It is ALL about player position and we are no where near where he wants us to be yet. Onana miles off it in regards to defensive positional awareness hence Unai repeating that he is still learning the process. 

Also Unai has explained that he wants us to play differently this season and not always revert to a back 3 when in possession - RB has more licence to join attacks and  so essential for CDM to drop and cover. We obvs have one player coming back soon who is excellent at that but until he is up to full match fitness Onana needs to learn quick. 

Agree with all the above about the 2nd Ipswich goal being multiple team failings.

Emery is all about transitions, and as a team we failed to react quickly enough to a pretty obvious, direct transition.

Carlos is not good enough IMO, but I don’t think that’s what Emery will be angry about. Delap should have never got into that situation in the first place.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Herman22 said:

Yeah that was him again. 

He seems to have lost his head completely. Obviously Unai wanted rid in the summer and he’s decided he’s not putting in a shift anymore. 

I thought Konsa was equally to blame for the goal. He had a simple pass to Philogene yet chose to play a more difficult one leaving us exposed to the counter. Brainless football. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He's half decent, would suit a Crystal Palace, but not a top 4 Champions league team. That's us by the way 😁

I agree with this, the problem is that right now, our other options seem to be cash at right back (who's also not good enough), a young kid playing out of position, an untested kid who's quick going forward but emery has decided is behind the options I've listed above. 

Until Mings is back (and assumed fit), I think Carlos at centre half and Konsa right is our best line up. 

On 30/09/2024 at 05:00, jayEm said:

Why does he run so weirdly? Is it just me who sees that? Last week after he gave the ball away for Wolves' goal, and chasing down Delap today, it looked like he was trying to sprint barefoot over Lego

It's exactly like this.

spacer.png

• Haha 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â