Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

How did slippy G think this guy was worth £30m? He's poor 9 times out of ten. 

Tbf to slippy he apparently wanted Tarkowski but Lange pushed for Carlos if you believe the media reports at the time … 

Edited by thabucks

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

For me, he's approaching Bobbins Olsen territory. We just don't play well with him in the side. 

Last season I thought we looked more solid with Konsa RB and Carlos CB than playing Cash there, felt it gave us better balance but that was with Konsa actually forming a back 3 in possession and the LB pushed much higher up.

Today we saw Konsa trying to play in a through ball to Watkins and in general this season the LB has not been as advanced.

There's stuff we need to fix, Onana being new in that CM slot hasn't helped us defensively yet, badly need Kamara back as hes more defensive minded.

I dont think Carlos is a bad player though, he played 90 mins in our back to back double vs City and Arsenal at home and against Arsenal away. 

The way he got skinned for the goal reminded me of the way Buendia skinned Connor Coady away to Everton to make it 2-0 couple of seasons ago. Thought at the time that was him done at this level and now Carlos isn’t good enough for where Villa want to be sadly. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, osmark86 said:

2-2 is 100% on Diego. He refused to push up with the rest of the team allowing Delap to stay deep. Then he responded way too late to the counter ball and was absolutely shafted at the last turn before the goal.

I have defended him a lot, but that was criminal defending and it's just another example where he has cost us by not being switched on. I hope we get rid.

Delap was in his own half when the other Ipswich player was shaping up to play the pass. Carlos was two yards behind our defensive line so all he had to do was shepherd Delap into the corner. At worst, he’d have got a cross in. But he foolishly tried to play offside at the last second and got caught in no man’s land. Should still have closed down the angle but just let Delap cut inside far too easily. Extremely annoying goal to concede. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

I dont think Carlos is a bad player though, he played 90 mins in our back to back double vs City and Arsenal at home and against Arsenal away. 

Agreed. He's surely earned a lifetime starting position after those heroics.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

Delap was in his own half when the other Ipswich player was shaping up to play the pass. Carlos was two yards behind our defensive line so all he had to do was shepherd Delap into the corner. At worst, he’d have got a cross in. But he foolishly tried to play offside at the last second and got caught in no man’s land. Should still have closed down the angle but just let Delap cut inside far too easily. Extremely annoying goal to concede. 

On the replay you can see that Unai attempted to instruct him to push forward as well. But as you said, he didn't do this and also didn't close down the area that Delap was in and foolishly tried to play for the offside by himself. It was just all around terrible defending and kind of my last straw with Carlos personally. Anyone can make poor passes and silly mistakes, but it happens all the time with him and when he ignores instructions and it leads to a goal, then it's just not acceptable imo.

Why does he run so weirdly? Is it just me who sees that? Last week after he gave the ball away for Wolves' goal, and chasing down Delap today, it looked like he was trying to sprint barefoot over Lego

Edited by jayEm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've defended him in the past but he's becoming a serious liability with the brain-farts/slow thinking/movement.

I don't understand how we aren't Kosta right back, Ezri back in the middle.

• Like 2

The second goal was hilarious.

He's literally caught square on his heels and doesn't even react till Delap is already yard behind him.

I've seen glaciers move faster.

Edited by AshVilla

10 hours ago, jayEm said:

Why does he run so weirdly? Is it just me who sees that? Last week after he gave the ball away for Wolves' goal, and chasing down Delap today, it looked like he was trying to sprint barefoot over Lego

He runs like a wrestler

• Like 1

His defending for the goal was horrific. Schoolboy stuff. His body positioning and his weight distribution is all wrong. He should be low and side on facing the attacker, pushing him onto his left foot and forcing him wide. The way he positions his body makes it so easy for Delap to just sell him a dummy to the point he almost falls over. It's really, really bad. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â