Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

4 minutes ago, Dillon66 said:

They'll need 2 CB's when the Geordies cave in and stump up the dough for Guehi......

Think Newcastle have moved on now from Guehi. Palace not budging on £70m. Newcastle offered £60 + 5 in add-ons.

Palace will get £50m+ next summer for sure even though he'll have a year left on contract. With the Anderson deal they are probably happy to do that

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Think Newcastle have moved on now from Guehi. Palace not budging on £70m. Newcastle offered £60 + 5 in add-ons.

Palace will get £50m+ next summer for sure even though he'll have a year left on contract. With the Anderson deal they are probably happy to do that

Newcastle wanted Carlos before he came to us, I wonder if that could be an option for them.

1 hour ago, Dodgyknees said:

Newcastle wanted Carlos before he came to us, I wonder if that could be an option for them.

I think that ship has very much sailed. With Emery's comments about Carlos and being part of the group I'm going to presume they've had a chat, he's not happy with the lack of football and we've basically told him apart from Fulham's tentative interest - the phone ain't exactly ringing off the hook for his services.

A lot of fans only watch their team and it was interesting how an Arsenal fan I know thinks Carlos is a great defender and was relieved he wasn't playing on Sunday.

Personally would have been good to improve on him but there's worse 3rd/4th choice defenders out there.  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A lot of fans only watch their team and it was interesting how an Arsenal fan I know thinks Carlos is a great defender and was relieved he wasn't playing on Sunday.

Doesn't that back up the point that you can't place too much value on that opinion if he's only watched him against Arsenal though?

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Doesn't that back up the point that you can't place too much value on that opinion if he's only watched him against Arsenal though?

Of course it does. It was more a general point about how a lot of fans form opinions on players. But also that it's proof he can do a job against the best at times. 

I don't really care about an Arsenal fans opinion. I just don't think he is as bad as some make out.

• Like 2

Not great. Week 3 of the season and we are down to 2 fit senior CBs and one 18 year old kid at RB.

Last season at this point we had 5 fit senior CBs...we are desperately short at the back. It's gonna come back to bite us.

Edited by Czarnikjak

28 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Not great. Week 3 of the season and we are down to 2 fit senior CBs and one 18 year old kid at RB.

Last season at this point we had 5 fit senior CBs...we are desperately short at the back. It's gonna come back to bite us.

Yeah it worries me a bit. 

It's a small injury. That's why we have a squad. Every now and again people will get injured. No one expects to have a fully fit squad all the time. Seriously, how many teams have a back up centre back of his quality? Mings and Carlos as our second best pairing? Only Man City in this country have arguably better depth in their centre backs. Arsenal have two excellent defenders and some others who looked good overseas but haven't been tested in the Premier League yet (Calafiori and Timber), Man Utd have Maguire and Lindelof and Liverpool have Gomez. Spurs have Davies and Dragusin. Chelsea have 6 central defenders, none of whom do I rate higher than Mings and Carlos. We are lucky to have him in the squad and if we upgrade or replace him in the future, even better for us.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, beasley14 said:

This isn't good news, Carlos is not reliable enough to play a significant part this season! 

Believe he won't play much this season if Konsa is fit all season, think Emery wants him as a centre back & is happy with Cash & Ned at rightback ... Carlos is fine as a back up ...  

5 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

It's a small injury. That's why we have a squad. Every now and again people will get injured. No one expects to have a fully fit squad all the time. Seriously, how many teams have a back up centre back of his quality? Mings and Carlos as our second best pairing? Only Man City in this country have arguably better depth in their centre backs. Arsenal have two excellent defenders and some others who looked good overseas but haven't been tested in the Premier League yet (Calafiori and Timber), Man Utd have Maguire and Lindelof and Liverpool have Gomez. Spurs have Davies and Dragusin. Chelsea have 6 central defenders, none of whom do I rate higher than Mings and Carlos. We are lucky to have him in the squad and if we upgrade or replace him in the future, even better for us.

👏

7 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Well said. Last season he played in 38 matches for us. He is clearly a very good player, he showed that in some of the biggest games. I think issue is a lack of consistency. He also tends to have some poor games. But that is to be expected with a back up CB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

Well I agree. Has been coming though, People have been praising our squad depth all summer, which is fair if you look on the attacking side. Our defence is very thin indeed, Even If this Geertruida bloke had signed, we’d have been thin at the back: And now — he didn’t:

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â