Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

On 11/08/2024 at 12:23, VillaTO said:

I still think this leaves us light at CB. In my mind Mings replaces Llenglet. So I think we are short of cover for Konsa if Carlos goes. 

Agree, maybe Bogarde can make the step up?

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I'd like him to stay, but this could be a Danny Ings situation in that we might not get another chance to offload him when we actually really need to. 31 and on over 100k and is 3rd choice at best. Yeah we can do better, as much as I like him.

Exactly this, we seem to be undoing a lot of the period of mis-steps that occured during the Purslow/Gerrard dark age. Digne gets a pass for me, but would be happy if Dendonker and Carlos depart. I think Bogarde could act as reserve if we get Geertruida in aswell, he hasnt really put a foot wrong this summer.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Agree, maybe Bogarde can make the step up?

Carlos played in 38 games for us last season. I don't see us trusting Bogarde with that amount of time yet. I would see Bogarde at as a Calum Chambers replacement. 

We actually had 5 CBs last year:

Pau, Konsa, Carlos, Lenglet, Chambers.

Easy to be dismissive of Chambers' input, but he played in 8 games last year. 

Mings (hopefully) is back in for Lenglet. 

• Like 2

To add some more context to this, our ppg in the league with Carlos last season was 1.44ppg. Without him in the lineup we were 1.63ppg. Obviously this is not definitive, and there are other factors at play, but it's worth pointing out I think. 

I'll be honest I was a big advocate of Carlos in previous years, but based solely on the 'eye test' (until I just worked out those figures), I found him disappointing last year.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hobsons Choice said:

I'll be honest I was a big advocate of Carlos in previous years, but based solely on the 'eye test' (until I just worked out those figures), I found him disappointing last year.

At Villa he played a handful of games in the previous season. After doing his achilles in game week 2 or 3. Players look better in their absence some time. Everyone on the pitch was dire until Unai walked through the door! 

2 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Makes you wonder what we quoted them for DC… though I don’t think Palace will drop their price by 25% to shift a player who is very good for them.  Hopefully they hold firm and Fulham come back in with an improved offer for Carlos. 

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Makes you wonder what we quoted them for DC… though I don’t think Palace will drop their price by 25% to shift a player who is very good for them.  Hopefully they hold firm and Fulham come back in with an improved offer for Carlos. 

I seem to recall Diego having interest from elsewhere other than Fulham--so, we shall see.

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I seem to recall Diego having interest from elsewhere other than Fulham--so, we shall see.

I don't recall any of that other than at start of window some places like AC Milan mooted. If Fulham deal doesn't materialise (and it looks dead atm tbh) then he'll most likely be staying. Same as Duran situation.

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I don't recall any of that other than at start of window some places like AC Milan mooted. If Fulham deal doesn't materialise (and it looks dead atm tbh) then he'll most likely be staying. Same as Duran situation.

32 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Ah Saudi, there's always Saudi interest. Never sure if players are interested in going there however

Didn't we just sell them one of our players for £50m?

1 minute ago, supermon said:

This one is dragging. Longer it drags the less likely we'll get Lutsharel

The window doesn't slam shut for another few weeks. There will be a few more deals before it does.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â