Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

4 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Will have to agree to disagree. Coutinho was past his prime and a vanity project by Gerrard. You could say Carlos was a similar vanity project because he was upgrading Mings which he undervalued. Gerrard was a fraud as a manager, but I still think Carlos was a good buy, s9metime they just don’t work out how you hope they will.

I’m not saying Carlos was awful. He’s handy and put in some good shifts. But as you said Gerrard(and probably Lange) over valued him/ under valued Ty and Konsa. The unfortunate injury recovery just confirmed he’s not better than Ty and Konsa.

so now he’s just a very expensive back up. I’m happy that we found an interested club tho. Selling older players is getting harder and harder 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Carlos was a really good player when we signed him, but it was still a stupid signing considering age/fee/wages. Stevie G loved signing 29 year olds on high wages.

Signings like that are huge signings for immediate success. The downside is massive, the risk is massive. No way on earth should Gerrard have been allowed to sign 3 of them. Pathetic from Lange.

I think we need both Geertruida and Hermoso if Carlos leaves. But we do also need to lose a LB as well as that will be 2 in and 2 out, which seems feasible.

No idea what's going on with attacking options, but either of Baena or Felix would be really good, with Archer or Duran leaving.

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

I can’t wait for someone in here to tell me their Fulham ITK nan told them that we agreed a fee and Fab and Ornstein aren’t as well connected as the tea lady! 

Unai/ Monchi will have a fee in mind and it will need to be met. Until then it’s bidding and interest with no chance of a deal. 

Grandad actually

30 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I’m not saying Carlos was awful. He’s handy and put in some good shifts. But as you said Gerrard(and probably Lange) over valued him/ under valued Ty and Konsa. The unfortunate injury recovery just confirmed he’s not better than Ty and Konsa.

so now he’s just a very expensive back up. I’m happy that we found an interested club tho. Selling older players is getting harder and harder 

He started over half our PL games last season and played in 27 PL games in total. Remember he was coming off the bad injury and adjusting to PL football at same time. So he was more than a backup in our team which got CL football. Especially as he was MotM in both Arsenal games. 

I think the issue is his total annual cost and our PSR situation (he costs around 12m per season wages+amort). Added to his lack of versatility (can't play RB/RCB of back 3). I think his Achille injury has impacted his jump as his aerial duel win % was very low last season relative to his career. 

If we signed a new player to replace him we'd be looking at more of a £7 to 8m annual cost (amort + wages) and a player who is more versatile (CB/RCB/RB). 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He started over half our PL games last season and played in 27 PL games in total. Remember he was coming off the bad injury and adjusting to PL football at same time. So he was more than a backup in our team which got CL football. Especially as he was MotM in both Arsenal games. 

Explains why we conceded so many goals I guess

13 minutes ago, Cmac said:

What a realistic price we can expect for him? Say anything north of £10m would be good given age and wages  

with PL tax? 

£15-20m IMO, expecting it to be around £18m

Just now, villa4europe said:

with PL tax? 

£15-20m IMO, expecting it to be around £18m

If Monchi gets that i will drop everything, travel to wherever and kiss his beautiful bald head.

• Haha 1

Carlos was a decent signing for where we were, he’d not long won the Europa League with Sevilla and looked strong and capable of pinging passes out of defence. Can’t remember many writing the signing off back then? 

His injury sort of ruined his time here, took an age to get back and we had nothing to compare against to know whether he’d have been better before it. He’s out in some good performances for us but he’s not at the level of a regular starting champions league CB, which is what we need to aspire to. 

If we sell him to Fulham, he will need to be replaced and that’s my only concern. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cmac said:

What a realistic price we can expect for him? Say anything north of £10m would be good given age and wages  

Anything above 10m I think we’d have done well. If we got Geertruida, we could shift Cash as well, so doing both deals could get us above 30m. Which should help funding Felix deal as well. 

Unai maximized his value when he could (Arsenal x2, City) but ultimately not a fit in Unai’s system and not the right partner for Pau or Konsa.

A useful player somewhere, just not here with his wage and his skill set anymore. 

What did West Ham pay for Fullkrug who is 31 I believe?

I'm sure Villa are looking around the same for Carlos who is Premiership ready!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, striker said:

What did West Ham pay for Fullkrug who is 31 I believe?

I'm sure Villa are looking around the same for Carlos who is Premiership ready!

Strikers are inherently worth more. 

We'll be lucky if we get half of the £27m West Ham are paying for Fullkrug. 

what do we need for Carlos to break even for PSR?

bought him for £26m allegedly in May 2022, on a 4 year contract.

So in theory, £13m left on the books for him?, anything over that is a PSR profit?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â