Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

I can’t wait for someone in here to tell me their Fulham ITK nan told them that we agreed a fee and Fab and Ornstein aren’t as well connected as the tea lady! 

Unai/ Monchi will have a fee in mind and it will need to be met. Until then it’s bidding and interest with no chance of a deal. 

• Haha 1

Carlos out, Geertruida in would be some excellent work. Could even try to move Cash out too as we'd have RB cover

Would leave Geertruida, Konsa and Ned at RB, with Geertruida, Konsa and Bogarde as RCB options.

I'm in.

• Like 2

Just now, turvontour said:

Wow, I hadn't appreciated he was 31. 

That really was a poor signing, although injury obviously hasn't helped.

It was really was poor.. Stevie G strikes again. 

I hope Carlos and Coutinho has been a valuable lesson to us all, never sign DOBs on big wages again 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

It was really was poor.. Stevie G strikes again. 

I hope Carlos and Coutinho has been a valuable lesson to us all, never sign DOBs on big wages again 

Agree on Coutinho, a little harsh on Carlos. He was 29 when signed and should have been coming into his prime years as a defender, and a Brazilian international. The injury was a ste back, but still showed class, his inconsistency since the injury has been an issue, and don’t believe he’s an Emery style of player. He will be good for Fulham if they get him.

Edited by QldVilla

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

It wasn't a poor signing at the time

Carlos was inconsistent for sure but ticked the boxes we needed at the time. We probably overpaid, but on his day as we saw last season, a real rock. He had a major injury too which didn’t help. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Bogarde is a year older than Huijsen who Bournemouth just signed, if we believe he's got the ability and we want him to kick on, he needs game time

He needs a good loan. Branthwaite kicked on massively after going to PSV. He also had a loan at Blackburn previously.

Only 14 games for Bristol Rovers last season who were mid table in league 1, was he injured for large spells?

Not every signing needs to be seen as black or white when it comes to success. Carlos recovered from a career threatening injury, played really well in some games and badly in others. He's 31 years old and doesn't really fit with our tactical aspirations anymore so I'd be happy to see him leave with no hard feelings.

He's been a decent signing that helped us achieve a 4th place finish last season but it's time we move on and find a player that can increase our level overall.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Agree on Coutinho, a little harsh on Carlos. He was 29 when signed and as a defender should have been coming into his prime years as a defender, and a Brazilian international. The injury was a ste back, but still showed class, his inconsistency since the injury has been an issue, and don’t believe he’s an Emery style of player. He will be good for Fulham if they get him.

But that’s the issue with older players. Recovery is so much harder.  Lil Phil just couldn’t shake the niggles and Carlos isnt the same. When you factor the wages for both, it just seems like poor business to put so much money in to essentially deprecating assets 

then again all transfers are gambles, but high wage dusty ol ballers are the biggest gamble of the lot.  

Edited by CarryOnVilla

13 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

It wasn't a poor signing at the time

Yes we only had Mings and Konsa as PL level CBs and we needed at least another player. We were very short in the position. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

But that’s the issue with older players. Recovery is so much harder.  Lil Phil just couldn’t shake the niggles and Carlos isnt the same. When you factor the wages for both, it just seems like poor business to put so much money in to essentially deprecating assets 

then again all transfers are gambles, but high wage dusty ol ballers are the biggest gamble of the lot.  

Will have to agree to disagree. Coutinho was past his prime and a vanity project by Gerrard. You could say Carlos was a similar vanity project because he was upgrading Mings which he undervalued. Gerrard was a fraud as a manager, but I still think Carlos was a good buy, s9metime they just don’t work out how you hope they will.

I don't really agree with the consensus that injuries affected his time here other than the fact he obviously missed a season through his bad injury.

As a player he pretty much performed as he did at Sevilla. Excellent on his day, but prone to lapses of concentration, giving the ball away cheaply and discipline issues. 

He's a good defender and was a good signing at the time, albeit he wasn't cheap but as a club we've progressed and we can do so much better now. I think one thing I hadn't quite noticed from his Sevilla days was that he isn't particularly strong/dominant aerially as he'd appear. Where he truly excelled were the backs to the wall matches against Man City/Arsenal and generally he worked quite well in the high line and despite the often cheap give away was comfortable in possession.

It would be great to receive a decent fee for him, it was a bit unexpected to hear of another clubs interest as quite often we get stuck with players on big wages, but if he does go he would be a good signing for Fulham. 

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yes we only had Mings and Konsa as PL level CBs and we needed at least another player. We were very short in the position. 

And if Carlos leaves we’ll be back to having two fit PL level CBs. (I’m not counting Bogarde even though I’m sure he’ll be solid eventually).

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â