Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

I think a lot of us forget he came back from a year long ACL injury last season. It was always going to be a mixed bag. I hope we don't turn on the rest of our ACL contingent this quickly. I think the difference here is we didn't get to see him play properly before the injury, unlike say Kamara or Mings.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I think a lot of us forget he came back from a year long ACL injury last season. It was always going to be a mixed bag. I hope we don't turn on the rest of our ACL contingent this quickly. I think the difference here is we didn't get to see him play properly before the injury, unlike say Kamara or Mings.

He had an Achilles tendon rupture. 

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

He had an Achilles tendon rupture. 

Ah right. I think that's an even worse one for explosive players to recover from. Benteke comes to mind. With that in mind, I don't think he did too badly last season. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Ah right. I think that's an even worse one for explosive players to recover from. Benteke comes to mind. With that in mind, I don't think he did too badly last season. 

Yeah. Rupture sounds worse to be fair!

29 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The thing is that it's been his footballing intelligence, and lack there of, that has caused him problems rather than any physical shortfall. He seems to lose concentration so easily. The rupture may have affected his ability to recover from a mistake but I'm willing to bet those mistakes were always there

Just now, picicata said:

The thing is that it's been his footballing intelligence, and lack there of, that has caused him problems rather than any physical shortfall. He seems to lose concentration so easily. The rupture may have affected his ability to recover from a mistake but I'm willing to bet those mistakes were always there

I don't think the two are unrelated. Your body not being as readily able to do the stuff you were used to can lead to doubt and poor decision making. This isn't limited to injuries either, even players coming to new leagues have similar issues, like Leon Bailey. He didn't just become a smarter, better player. He just needed to get used to the speed of the league and figure out what he could or could not do. Once he did, his decision making improved immensely. I can't know for sure but I imagine Carlos would have went through something similar. Also, being in and out of the team probably didn't help him get back up to speed 

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

I don't think the two are unrelated. Your body not being as readily able to do the stuff you were used to can lead to doubt and poor decision making. This isn't limited to injuries either, even players coming to new leagues have similar issues, like Leon Bailey. He didn't just become a smarter, better player. He just needed to get used to the speed of the league and figure out what he could or could not do. Once he did, his decision making improved immensely. I can't know for sure but I imagine Carlos would have went through something similar. Also, being in and out of the team probably didn't help him get back up to speed 

In the end though, if the injury has caused him to become a lesser player both mentally and physically he probably needs replacing. Not his fault but he doesn't look consistently good enough. We can hope he improves but age is against him.

7 minutes ago, picicata said:

In the end though, if the injury has caused him to become a lesser player both mentally and physically he probably needs replacing. Not his fault but he doesn't look consistently good enough. We can hope he improves but age is against him.

Since he's already got that year under his belt, I wouldn't be against persisting with him for 1 more year, rather than spending money on someone who may or may not also need a year of adjustment. Not everyone is a perfect fit for Emery like Pau Torres. 

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

The disrespect so many of you show to our players who got us Champions League is just galling. Are you all such horrible people in real life or just online?

My goodness.

You reek.

• Like 1

Saw the RB Leipzig highlights last night. Was on the right time zone for a Villa game for once but didn't get to see it! He looked very lackadaisical at times, and wasn't exactly the urgent last ditch dive sort of defending you might have seen from Mings or Konsa at some point over the past few seasons. Wouldn't be surprised if his heads already turned and he's just going through the motions at the moment. He's very inconsistent, and has a wordly of a game (Arsenal away, Man City at home). But then has howlers the next game. He appears to be one of the higher earners as well so maybe we can get a replacement that's a bit better value for money? Certainly wasn't our worst defender last season but if can cash in we should do. 

8 hours ago, Rich192 said:

Couldn’t disagree more. We can’t bring someone in until he goes, as we’ve too much invested in wages in that position. 

Problem with that is that when a team with only two fit senior centrebacks comes calling in mid-August - you bump another £10m on the price tag for the one they're interested in and watch them squirm - we're already weak in this area - selling Carlos before strengthening would be like waving a flag with "we're desperate - overcharge us" written on it.

• Like 2

Just now, Keyblade said:

Since he's already got that year under his belt, I wouldn't be against persisting with him for 1 more year, rather than spending money on someone who may or may not also need a year of adjustment. Not everyone is a perfect fit for Emery like Pau Torres. 

Fair enough, we all obviously want him to do well every moment he's in a Villa shirt. If he stays then fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I love how this post just came out of nowhere. 

well-that-escalated-quickly-quick-meme-com-19310781.png | Lotus Emira Forum

Still trying to figure out if that post in question was serious or half-serious or quarter-serious. There have been so many other far more outrageous examples of disrespect.

The chaps above who mention the need to consider of the post-injury context are correct.

Carlos is a really nice, sweet guy who needs to learn how to use his arms better. A year away or whatever it was meant he spend a lot of time in the weight room. Too much. He's been doing so much strength training and bulked up, and that increases the intimidation factor, yes, but he has overestimated the uses of physicality and underestimated the need to up his mental game. He needs some very hands-on, detailed coaching. He's got to learn to be more clinical in applying the forearm and keeping a check on his tendency to get into adversarial one-on-one dogfights. He and Openda were trading blows off the ball the whole time Carlos was there. Most of the time, it wasn't on camera. It was constant. As the game went on, Carlos just got more and more unrestrained in the force of those arm-cuffs, and it simply boiled over. The RB players were just like, "**** you asshole! Enough!" A couple times, Carlos was violent. It can be a fine line, but you know what violence looks like, and he crossed the line.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

He's such a strange player - his Sevilla highlight reel suggests he has pretty much everything you'd want in a centre back playing in England. He's built like a Panzer, he's a good passer and looks dominant.

Yet he's shown next to nothing to warrant what we're paying for him (both wages and FFP amortisation). In some games he's an absolute monster and in others he looks like a 17 year old making his professional debut.

6 hours ago, thabucks said:

We do owe Fulham a huge debt for beating us twice - first defeat ushered in the NSWE era and the second rid us of Gerrard - feel conflicted selling them Carlos 😉 that’s not fair payback to them 

On the other hand, Ross McCormack.  I'd  say we're even

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Problem with that is that when a team with only two fit senior centrebacks comes calling in mid-August - you bump another £10m on the price tag for the one they're interested in and watch them squirm - we're already weak in this area - selling Carlos before strengthening would be like waving a flag with "we're desperate - overcharge us" written on it.

I think it would also send a message that if you’re going to mess about on social media because you’re unhappy we will find new talent to take your place before you’re sold. 

Edited by The_Steve

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Wasn't you righting off our CL hopes for all of last season saying united were going to catch us and we were going to blow it.

Now your launching this righteous defence on the players behalf because they managed to qualify for it?

Seems a bit hollow to me.

Yep, biggest doom and gloom meltdown merchant on VT

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â