Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

I was excited to see him in a Villa shirt as I'd heard and seen good things about his performances in Europe.

That injury was catastrophic and we'll never know how much of an impact it's had, but he's so far from what I was expecting it's hard to think the injury isn't to blame.

Alternatively, there's a reason he's never been capped by Brazil and even Wesley has.

If he were to go we need brains, brawn and pace in that position. Could be Konsa and a new right back, could be someone like Joe Gomez if we could prise him out of Liverpool.

Bottom line with Diego is, if this transfer were the other way around and we were looking to sign him from Fulham I don't think I'd be very keen.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

And I'd be happy to accept an offer of around that amount.

Don't see any reason to sell Carlos for half of book value. Then we lose a player who can be a number two player in the right centre-back position, while at the same time we lose money against PSR. If we can sell for closer to 13m, then yes, thank you. We really need to strengthen that position, but better to sell one of Moreno or Digne

Can't take anything away from his good performances against top sides

Arsenal away motm. He was immense. But he was never consistent and he's a high earner so wouid be good to get him off the payroll and sign somebody younger 

• Like 4

We do owe Fulham a huge debt for beating us twice - first defeat ushered in the NSWE era and the second rid us of Gerrard - feel conflicted selling them Carlos 😉 that’s not fair payback to them 

Edited by thabucks

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Arsenal away motm. He was immense. But he was never consistent and he's a high earner so wouid be good to get him off the payroll and sign somebody younger 

Yeah when he's been good he's been very good. If we're letting him go then it means Emery doesn't see him as a starter and that without a consistent run we can't trust him to be more hit than miss when we need him. Shame, when he's on it he's got all the attributes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Torres is excellent, Konsa is superb but we'd like to use him at RB at times, Mings is coming back from a difficult injury, ageing and in the last year of his contract - it's very difficult to see us letting Carlos go in these circumstances and if the player makes a nuisance of himself, we might be in a very difficult position. We're not in good shape at centreback at the moment.

I agree, it's highly unlikely we'll sell Carlos and then bring in a replacement. Who has no pre season and no experience of Emery style 

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Torres is excellent, Konsa is superb but we'd like to use him at RB at times, Mings is coming back from a difficult injury, ageing and in the last year of his contract - it's very difficult to see us letting Carlos go in these circumstances and if the player makes a nuisance of himself, we might be in a very difficult position. We're not in good shape at centreback at the moment.

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I agree, it's highly unlikely we'll sell Carlos and then bring in a replacement. Who has no pre season and no experience of Emery style 

Obviously hope we sign a proper replacement and starter/competition… but if we are struggling, maybe another Lenglet loan could be a last resort?

Knows Unai’s methods too. He wasn’t great but… any worse than Carlos? Probably more reliable too and less injury prone… could be better than last time too.

Not my preferred option but might be worth considering if we don’t/can’t spend on a top CB or two.

Clearly Villa have decided to run the Brazilians out of the club... Luiz... gone! Coutinho... gone! Carlos... going? Must be the Spanish and Argentinian mafia running the club ;) 

• Haha 2

On 21/05/2024 at 11:07, Kiwivillan said:

For all the big games he has had he's given the ball away cheaply that have led to goals in too many games for my liking

Totally agree....Not convinced by this player, at all.

Sure he can call on a few good performances against top sides, I just get a doubt about his demeanor.

Edited by TRO

35 minutes ago, villa82 said:

Don't see any reason to sell Carlos for half of book value. Then we lose a player who can be a number two player in the right centre-back position, while at the same time we lose money against PSR. If we can sell for closer to 13m, then yes, thank you. We really need to strengthen that position, but better to sell one of Moreno or Digne

What?!

2 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

And I'd be happy to accept an offer of around that amount.

If we can do this then there’s only 4 to go.

Donk, Hause, Digne and Duran. You can do it Monchi.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alexvilla4 said:

Would love to get Foyth in, he would be perfect for us

Our resident Argentine says he’s poor, and could do much better. I’m happy to believe him. 

41 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I was excited to see him in a Villa shirt as I'd heard and seen good things about his performances in Europe.

That injury was catastrophic and we'll never know how much of an impact it's had, but he's so far from what I was expecting it's hard to think the injury isn't to blame.

Alternatively, there's a reason he's never been capped by Brazil and even Wesley has.

If he were to go we need brains, brawn and pace in that position. Could be Konsa and a new right back, could be someone like Joe Gomez if we could prise him out of Liverpool.

Bottom line with Diego is, if this transfer were the other way around and we were looking to sign him from Fulham I don't think I'd be very keen.

I too, was pleased when we signed him, based purely on reporting and not on my eye test.

I am not going to speculate on the injury, because, I simply don't know......but watching his work, in general, I am not convinced.

He seems like he's over zealous one minute, and not committed the next......just don't get the right vibe, with this fella.

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Clearly Villa have decided to run the Brazilians out of the club... Luiz... gone! Coutinho... gone! Carlos... going? Must be the Spanish and Argentinian mafia running the club ;) 

You're Nuts.....Sorry for the pun.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

One of those where it underlines the need for me not to always see things at extremes. Hasn’t been dreadful. Hasn’t been great.

He’s done OK. Been exceptional in some big games, managed Haaland like I’ve never seen in one of my favourite performances ever. Dropped some clangers. Must have been tough coming in and immediately being out for a year, and from there was never first choice but usually been OK. When we signed him I remember Andy Brassell saying “I think they’ve signed him two years too late” and that tracks now. Wish him all the best if he goes, there are worse backups if he stays.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

I wouldn't have predicted this time last year that Philip Coutinho would be the only Brazilian on our books a year later.

46 minutes ago, PaulC said:

The problem is Paul, we don't know when we've got him....He lets us down, with silly errors....errors not befitting his reputation.

To compound the issue, the errors usually lead to goals conceded.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â