Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

It was his first full season with us pretty much. He had his injuries too and did make a few howlers. BUT he had Haaland in his pocket and when he's firing he's as good at the back as we have. Champions league experience as well. It would be a shame to sell him, but I'm sure if we do Monchi and co have a plan for the replacement and the idea going forward.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I really do love about him is how hard he drills the ball when passing.

He has superb posture as he takes a few touches to have a look at options and then just launches it like a bullet. 

I know it's only a small part of the game but it's so pleasing on the eye.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really not sold on Carlos. The best CBs are a mixture of physicality and skill. But skill is the more important one as it involves reading the game, playing sensible balls and being that calming influence at the back.

Carlos tips far too much in to the physicality area, he just pushes everyone out the way and feels like he's always one too physical a challenge away from conceding a penalty or getting sent off.

Even against CCrew, he probably shoulder barged more players than he played the ball with his feet. There maybe a time and a place for that, like trying to see out a game as an extra defender, but I'd worry if he was a starting player for us.

I think we’ll keep him this summer and then look to sell him next summer when he has 1 year left on his contract.   Unless of course someone is offering good money and we can get an upgrade on him without spending too much extra.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ender4 said:

I think we’ll keep him this summer and then look to sell him next summer when he has 1 year left on his contract.   Unless of course someone is offering good money and we can get an upgrade on him without spending too much extra.

Pretty sure he's available, but no one would give him the salary we have. See also, Dendoncker, Digne, Coutinho... 

• Like 1

What is clear and obvious is that with the Mings return unknown. Our only 2 class CBs are Torres and Konsa. However, Torres will not go the whole season without injury and Konsa has and will also be used at RB . Therefore leaving Carlos who doesn't inspire confidence and the drop off in quality is significant 

Our most important position to upgrade is CB. I do really hope we go and get a class CB.

58 minutes ago, gatecrasha said:

What is clear and obvious is that with the Mings return unknown. Our only 2 class CBs are Torres and Konsa. However, Torres will not go the whole season without injury and Konsa has and will also be used at RB . Therefore leaving Carlos who doesn't inspire confidence and the drop off in quality is significant 

Our most important position to upgrade is CB. I do really hope we go and get a class CB.

Agree the lack of a definitive date for Mings or lack of any games where he has regained match fitness, means Carlos is currently quite valuable. For his limitations, he has experience of playing in Unai's system, playing with Pau/Ezri (kenneth.gif) and knows the league / club. Unless finances are tight, I'd bring in an additional CB to add to the RCB options, not to replace Carlos. We can then sell next year if required

5 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Off to Seville?

Haven’t seen anything legit suggesting this. Just some randos on X though. Would be very odd considering our depth at the position too.

6 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Haven’t seen anything legit suggesting this. Just some randos on X though. Would be very odd considering our depth at the position too.

Weirdly, his own Instagram account had been engaging with Sevilla fan accounts today. The original account speculating about his return to Seville is quebotenervion75 and then he starts engaging. I get the impression that he doesn’t always run his own social media though. 

• Shocked 1

28 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Weirdly, his own Instagram account had been engaging with Sevilla fan accounts today. The original account speculating about his return to Seville is quebotenervion75 and then he starts engaging. I get the impression that he doesn’t always run his own social media though. 

Doing his best Duran impression.

You lot, seriously! 

He said Impossible? about a return to Seville. He's having fun with the Seville fans, never say never. He has 2 years left on his contract he could possible go there or anywhere in the future. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm torn about him leaving. I really think we can do better, especially in the league but he's very useful against the stronger sides when he actually manages to stay concentrated for 90 minutes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

You lot, seriously! 

He said Impossible? about a return to Seville. He's having fun with the Seville fans, never say never. He has 2 years left on his contract he could possible go there or anywhere in the future. 

There's only one Diego Costa!

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â