• Black Sabbath
    • Oasis
    • Lynard Skynard
    • The Allman Brothers
    • Coldplay
    • Nirvana
    • The Beatles
    • Queen

Nirvana for me. One big hit that the average man on the street would recognise.

Which one big hit would that be then? Teen Spirit? Come as You Are? Lithium? In Bloom? Heart Shaped Box? All Apologies? Pennyroyal Tea?

There is a generation of people who know Nevermind off by heart, and even the tunes that never got put out as singles are instantly familiar to millions. The band (well, Kurt) decided to go hard the other way with In Utero because making a Nevermind part 2 would have been lame. I think it really paid off artistically.

Nirvana are awesome. The first album was very good, the second and third albums were phenomenal. Unplugged in New York is almost faultless. They did so much in such a short space of time that they have to go down as one of the great American bands.

Which one big hit would that be then? Teen Spirit? Come as You Are? Lithium? In Bloom? Heart Shaped Box? All Apologies? Pennyroyal Tea?

There is a generation of people who know Nevermind off by heart, and even the tunes that never got put out as singles are instantly familiar to millions.

The mythical "average man on the street", though?

OK, admittedly not "my generation", but the only song of theirs I know is Teen Spirit.

I'd say they are very well-known only to rock music fans of a particular generation.

I could say the same thing of - let's say, oooh, I dunno - Traffic. Outside my generation, hardly known. Of my generation, most people don't even notice much rock music, so wouldn't have heard of them. Some would know "Hole in My Shoe", as it was a hit single. Only then do you get down to people like me (and the critics) who regard them as pretty seminal.

Then again, I would never argue for mass popularity as proof of quality.

Then again, I would never argue for mass popularity as proof of quality.

It's not. There are more than a billion people who smoke, which I guess means smoking is popular. Does that mean its good?

By the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vabnZ9-ex7o. Surely that bass line is familiar?

By the way: come as you are. Surely that bass line is familiar?

I was lead to believe they "borrowed" it from Killing Joke who borrowed it from The Damned (Life goes on)

There is a generation of people who know Nevermind off by heart, and even the tunes that never got put out as singles are instantly familiar to millions. The band (well, Kurt) decided to go hard the other way with In Utero because making a Nevermind part 2 would have been lame. I think it really paid off artistically.

Nirvana are awesome. The first album was very good, the second and third albums were phenomenal. Unplugged in New York is almost faultless. They did so much in such a short space of time that they have to go down as one of the great American bands.

Teen Spirit, was a huge song and the one you'd instantly associate with Nirvana. Come as you are was also a big hit, I'll give you that. The others were not and nobody really cars about them. I think you're 'too close' to them to be impartial.

Grew up on this stuff, my old man was a fan. It's definitely the same riff, but that doesnt really take anything away from the point I was making.

Without reading through 10 pages, bands I consider overrated are as follows:

U2

Oasis

Red Hot Chilli Pepers

Foo Fighters

The Killers

Kings Of Leon

Kasabian

Plus anyone of a number of NME 'next big thing' bands from the last 10 years.

• Like 1

It's definitely the same riff,

think i amended my post after you wrote this but

Killing Joke may have borrowed that riff it from The Damned (Life goes on)

Musicians always seem to borrow , Harrison went a bit to close with my Sweet Lord but other than that it's usually easy to borrow a riff here and there

Lonesome tears

around the 2min 45 mark is the more obvious part

Teen Spirit, was a huge song and the one you'd instantly associate with Nirvana. Come as you are was also a big hit, I'll give you that. The others were not and nobody really cars about them. I think you're 'too close' to them to be impartial.

Citation needed.

Citation needed.

tracks you listed after the first 2 ( Lithium? In Bloom? Heart Shaped Box? All Apologies? Pennyroyal Tea?) I wouldn't even recognise from the titles, maybe they'd be familiar if I heard them but there are only 2 tracks from Nirvana I can say I recognise from the titles. All the other 'overrated' bands have a whole selection of good songs that are familiar, good, regularly played on the radio, TV, adverts, films. Its based on this that I don't believe they deserve their rating from many as a great band.

2 big songs, that is all. If he hadn't blown his head off we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Citation needed.

tracks you listed after the first 2 ( Lithium? In Bloom? Heart Shaped Box? All Apologies? Pennyroyal Tea?) I wouldn't even recognise from the titles, maybe they'd be familiar if I heard them but there are only 2 tracks from Nirvana I can say I recognise from the titles. All the other 'overrated' bands have a whole selection of good songs that are familiar, good, regularly played on the radio, TV, adverts, films. Its based on this that I don't believe they deserve their rating from many as a great band.

2 big songs, that is all. If he hadn't blown his head off we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

My thoughts exactly.

Without reading through 10 pages, bands I consider overrated are as follows:

U2

Oasis

Red Hot Chilli Pepers

Foo Fighters

The Killers

Kings Of Leon

Kasabian

Plus anyone of a number of NME 'next big thing' bands from the last 10 years.

Kasabian really upset me, because theyve got the potential to be really good. They've got a bit of that psychadelic stuff running through some of their music, but they also pollute their albums with a large amount of unnecessary crap.

Nirvana were **** huge before Cobain died. I dont want to say they invented a genre, but they certainly popularised it and were the reason that countless other bands got record deals. It's not the most scientific measurement, but Heart Shaped Box has 17 million views on the Nirvana channel on YouTube. Add to that the view counts for live versions and earlier uploads (the official one was uploaded 18 months ago) and its got 22+ million views. Nobody cares?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â