• Black Sabbath
    • Oasis
    • Lynard Skynard
    • The Allman Brothers
    • Coldplay
    • Nirvana
    • The Beatles
    • Queen

i know the clash are completely different to the pistols and had a lot more going on musically than them but out of those punk type of bands i did not mind the clash to much but i have no albums by them and never will purely because its just not my type of thing.

The Clash are my ultimate.

Also, they only ever did one 'punk' album.

:huh:

Which one?

i know the clash are completely different to the pistols and had a lot more going on musically than them but out of those punk type of bands i did not mind the clash to much but i have no albums by them and never will purely because its just not my type of thing.

Which one?

The first one.

Then off to the USA to produce some shiny AM-friendly rock.

Good, though.

Which one?

Depends on your definition of Punk I guess.

If the definition is based on musical style then it'd be The Clash with hints of it in the turgid Give 'em Enough Rope

If the definition is based on attitude then all of them, except the risible This is England, which I don't even consider a proper Clash album.

For me Punk was about attitude, it was never a musical style until the second wave of bands, which were generally all shite.

• Like 2

Which one?

Yeah the first one.  (In terms of musical style, as previously touched upon).  Can I just add that by "my ultimate" I meant they're my ultimate band not my ultimate overrated band,.

Which one?

Depends on your definition of Punk I guess.

If the definition is based on musical style then it'd be The Clash with hints of it in the turgid Give 'em Enough Rope

If the definition is based on attitude then all of them, except the risible This is England, which I don't even consider a proper Clash album.

For me Punk was about attitude, it was never a musical style until the second wave of bands, which were generally all shite.

Agree with all this, although I'd have said Rope was fully qualified on both counts.

I think the thing with the Clash is that "it" was about the message at least as much as the music.

Their best stuff I think was the political and social comment stuff, and it was brilliant.

They were just completely different, as well. though they took lots of styles and influences from other music, the melding of it all together was pretty new (to my ears).

Also, there's quite a lot of Clash stuff which is still now, re-invented and sampled - The melody from straight to hell, the beat from Guns of Brixton and plenty of others.

Like with some of the other acts who are over-rated, there will be songs they did that still get airplay in 50 years time. Genuine great music. 

All that said, they didn't half also create a lot of filler.

• Like 4

I've always felt they were a little false for want of a better word. Their Anti-Establishment messages came across as rather hollow.

Not that it matters if the songs are great but they never really grabbed me either, even after repeated listens from an early age.

So yeah, maybe something for the 'Don't get' thread too.

I was quite amused as The Clash broke every punk 'rule', one after another.

Don't have a recording contract, live music is where it's at.

They get a recording contract.

If you record, do it yourself, or via an indie label.

They sign with American corporate giants CBS.

Just do singles, not albums.

They make an album.

Don't go to the USA.

They go to the USA and record a heavily produced second album.

At least don't do bloody double albums.

They do a double album.

No. They wouldn't. Would they?

Yep. They do a TRIPLE album.

And so on...

• Like 2

hmmm, I'm going to offer:  Pussy Riot

the meeja love them

yeah buts the politics of the situation not the actual music which from what little I've heard is almost unlistenable

Never read anyone say they were actually any good

I've always felt they were a little false for want of a better word. Their Anti-Establishment messages came across as rather hollow.

Joe Strummer was about as real as they come.

• Like 1

For a moment I had to check i wasn't in the Russell Brand thread ....

Joe Strummer was about as real as they come.

He was from a good background, could have lived a very different life, iirc his brother committed suicide when joe was in his teens and it had a huge impact on his life

So yeah, he could have been posh and they were kind of manufactured (not as bad as the pistols) but they did live the life, they were part of the house squatting scene, he never cleaned his teeth (he thought the nhs would give him new ones for free) and they explored a lot of other music, I don't think many bands could go from white riot to white man in 2 years

I think you can get clash on Broadway for about £15, think it's pretty much all their stuff apart from cut the crap (which isn't a bad thing) and joes book redemption song is a great read as well as the future is unwritten being a very good film

Again I could probably make a decent argument for them being underrated, especially when they are labelled as a punk band, they are much more than that, my favourite song is train in vain, which is an incredibly underrated brilliant song

• Like 2

Which one?

The first one.

Good, though.

Pretty sure they recorded all their albums in London? Maybe Jamaica w/ Lee Perry, but if they recorded in the States, it wasn't a whole album.

Which one?

The first one.

Good, though.

Pretty sure they recorded all their albums in London? Maybe Jamaica w/ Lee Perry, but if they recorded in the States, it wasn't a whole album.

Sandanista and Combat Rock were done partly in London, partly in the States.

So yeah, he could have been posh and they were kind of manufactured (not as bad as the pistols)

A manufactured band is one that is made by some tosser like Cowell by holding auditions and picking out the people with the best image etc. They also don't write their own material and do exactly as they're told by the person who employs them

Neither the Pistols or the Clash would ever fit into this description

Strummer did go to a boarding school,so what? Means nothing

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â