The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

I dropped a £1 earlier. I nearly didn't bend down to pick it up. 

I remember as a kid if you dropped 1p or 2p, you'd think whatever cos' what can you get for that. I only picked the £1 up cos' I need one in my wallet for the trolley at Lidl.

If I dropped a quid as a kid, that would've been a panda pop, 2 chomps, a pack of footy stickers & a 25p mixup down the swanny.

Edited by UpTheVilla26
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I dropped a £1 earlier. I nearly didn't bend down to pick it up. 

I remember as a kid if you dropped 1p or 2p, you'd think whatever cos' what can you get for that. I only picked the £1 up cos' I need one in my wallet for the trolley at Lidl.

If I dropped a quid as a kid, that would've been a panda pop, 2 chomps, a pack of footy stickers & a 25p mixup down the swanny.

If I dropped a pound coin it would have to have landed in a dog turd or similar for me to not pick it up. And I’d have been muttering about it for a while after.

From a financial point of view, I’d probably only half consider not picking up a 1, 2 or 5p coin that I had dropped. Even then I’d be thinking it’s basically me littering and paying for it and I’d pick it up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If I dropped a pound coin it would have to have landed in a dog turd or similar for me to not pick it up. And I’d have been muttering about it for a while after.

From a financial point of view, I’d probably only half consider not picking up a 1, 2 or 5p coin that I had dropped. Even then I’d be thinking it’s basically me littering and paying for it and I’d pick it up.

find a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have a pointless coin in your pocket, that is until you find another 99999 of them and then you might, just might have enough for a daily food shop. 

Just now, bielesibub said:

find a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have a pointless coin in your pocket, that is until you find another 99999 of them and then you might, just might have enough for a daily food shop. 

Not talking about finding a penny (or coin), I’m talking about dropping a coin - my coin. 

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Not talking about finding a penny (or coin), I’m talking about dropping a coin - my coin. 

ok, so in order to find a coin someone else couldn't be bothered to pick up because they deemed it unworthy of their time, would you bother picking up that coin? I guess my quip was that you'd have to pick up a load of 1p coins to get anything close to something useful, you'd probably knacker your back in.

5 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

ok, so in order to find a coin someone else couldn't be bothered to pick up because they deemed it unworthy of their time, would you bother picking up that coin? I guess my quip was that you'd have to pick up a load of 1p coins to get anything close to something useful, you'd probably knacker your back in.

Well it’s a different scenario, isn’t it? The original post was someone who KNEW they had dropped a quid (not a penny) and debated about whether it was worthwhile picking it up. Their own money.

If I see a quid on the floor I don’t automatically think the person who dropped it realised they dropped it and simply couldn’t be bothered to pick it up. On the contrary I would think they had probably been unaware they had dropped a quid. 

As for whether I would pick up a penny off the floor that I hadn’t dropped, no I likely wouldn’t. There would be a denomination that I would pick up, but it would likely depend on the situation.

I suspect this thread isn’t specifically designed for me to externally debate whether I’d pick up a torn fiver that I found slightly too close to a dog fouling bin, so I guess it’s a bit off topic.

Build a bear’s a rip off. There, that should get us back on track.

2 hours ago, blandy said:

It is. Breaking point has already happened. The Tories are toast, stale toast at that.

Very true, but listening to Starmer earlier on the news being questioned by Peston, he was already saying there is no money, so which ever way it goes, we may get less perverts with a labour government, but financially we will still be well an truely f******ed!

I hate being due a Penny change.  If I wait and take it I look like a little penny pinching miser and if I leave it and say “keep the change mate” I look like I’m giving a terrible and insulting tip.

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Very true, but listening to Starmer earlier on the news being questioned by Peston, he was already saying there is no money, so which ever way it goes, we may get less perverts with a labour government, but financially we will still be well an truely f******ed!

No government can sort the mess out with money, it has to look into cartels and excessive profits that companies are making and try and stop it and make products more affordable. Mobiles contracts will be next on the inflation plus 10 or 20% extra increase to further bloat profits. 

How many companies have increased  their products by 20%? Have they increased the wages they pay by 20%? Like hell have they, just increased their profits by 20% and stole the inflation off their workers real wages. 

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I hate being due a Penny change.  If I wait and take it I look like a little penny pinching miser and if I leave it and say “keep the change mate” I look like I’m giving a terrible and insulting tip.

Do what I do, don’t even mention it and walk away or say something like it’s ok mate, don't need it.

I did try to tell one shopkeeper I was racist when it came to coinage but he didn’t seem to understand

26 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Well it’s a different scenario, isn’t it? The original post was someone who KNEW they had dropped a quid (not a penny) and debated about whether it was worthwhile picking it up. Their own money.

If I see a quid on the floor I don’t automatically think the person who dropped it realised they dropped it and simply couldn’t be bothered to pick it up. On the contrary I would think they had probably been unaware they had dropped a quid. 

As for whether I would pick up a penny off the floor that I hadn’t dropped, no I likely wouldn’t. There would be a denomination that I would pick up, but it would likely depend on the situation.

I suspect this thread isn’t specifically designed for me to externally debate whether I’d pick up a torn fiver that I found slightly too close to a dog fouling bin, so I guess it’s a bit off topic.

Build a bear’s a rip off. There, that should get us back on track.

aren't you just the ray of sunshine - thanks for clearing it up for me though 

13 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I can't remember the last time I used cash. Vending machines, car park meters, everything is contactless now. 

15 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

"stick it in the charity box mate"

"The one for the children's hospice"

etc

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tinker said:

No government can sort the mess out with money, it has to look into cartels and excessive profits that companies are making and try and stop it and make products more affordable. Mobiles contracts will be next on the inflation plus 10 or 20% extra increase to further bloat profits. 

How many companies have increased  their products by 20%? Have they increased the wages they pay by 20%? Like hell have they, just increased their profits by 20% and stole the inflation off their workers real wages. 

Wasn't the reason they put prices up supposed to be due to rising energy costs, fuel, gas, electricity, due to the war in Ukraine, which was absolute bullshit, an more likely due to them losing money during lockdown!

As for looking into excessive profits companies make, I'm convinced this will never change under any Government, it's the way of the world now, the rich get richer.

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I feel bad now as I've had a £1 winning scratchcard on the side for weeks and not cashed it. 

The rule for that is that you cash it and immediately but another for £1 in hope of the big prize. 

14 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

It's true that whoever is in power has a huge financial challenge to face.

But it will be easier to tackle that challenge if the government isn't wasting billions and billions of pounds funneling cash into the pockets of their mates, especially in times of national crisis.

That would be a good start

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

I feel bad now as I've had a £1 winning scratchcard on the side for weeks and not cashed it. 

spongebob-squarepants-spongebob.gif

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Bambos charalambous my local mp has been suspended as a fellow labour mp made a complaint that he sexually assaulted her so i dont think labour have innocent non perverts either tbh.

The no money started with labour then just got even worse with the tories. Both parties have absolutely ruined this country financially 

I hate to see what thia country is going to be like in the next 10-20 years.  Im thinking of moving on just seems like there is no future here anymore

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Bambos charalambous my local mp has been suspended as a fellow labour mp made a complaint that he sexually assaulted her so i dont think labour have innocent non perverts either tbh.

Labour suspend their perverts. The tories give them the job of chief whip

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The no money started with labour then just got even worse with the tories. Both parties have absolutely ruined this country financially 

The no money started with the global financial crisis. I doubt anyone would have got the economy through that unscathed (and that's from someone who didn't vote Labour in 2010 precisely because of that).

The tories have just made it worse and worse and worse.

All their mates are fine though

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â