The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

59 minutes ago, Xann said:

Their private friends botched and botched and botched, then the NHS bailed them out.

3/4s right.That happened, of course, but it's still the case that private companies developed and made the vaccines in super quick time. Some for non-profit as well. I'm not really arguing with the direction of your post, just that private company is not always bad.

Just now, Genie said:

I still remember Tuesday and Thursday nights at a nightclub in Tamworth, £1 a drink for beer and spirits.

Thursday nights at Embo mate!  Every week without fail while in 6th Form.

• Like 1

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Thursday nights at Embo mate!  Every week without fail while in 6th Form.

£1 a pint at BJ’s on a Friday night too. Good times (even if it was Carlsberg).

• Like 1

Speaking of cheap nights while at Uni in Manc.

Monday nights at 5th Ave, £3 entry and a voucher for two free drinks (bottle of Carling and a Vodka Kick), both were 50p to buy once in.  Cheap spirits too.

Tuesday nights, Club Tropicana in the Academy.  £1 for all doubles with mixer.  Pure carnage!  I think that night got stopped in the end.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

£1 a pint at BJ’s on a Friday night too. Good times (even if it was Carlsberg).

Haha those were the days.  Tamworth was actually a decent night way back when.

I think we always did it in this order:  Spoons, Edwards, Bonds, then either PoW or BJs on the way to Embo.

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Haha those were the days.  Tamworth was actually a decent night way back when.

I think we always did it in this order:  Spoons, Edwards, Bonds, then either PoW or BJs on the way to Embo.

Absolutely. 
Nightlife is practically nothing now. Such a shift over time. People used to trudge half a mile through the Castle Grounds to go to Xenon. All the bars packed out. 
I’ve been out in Tamworth once or twice in the last year and it’s a task to find somewhere with enough people inside to make an atmosphere.

Keeping the thread on topic I don’t think the current generation of 18-21 year olds will spend their money on nights out like we used to. It’s just too expensive and they’ll instead get pissed at house parties and spend money on rent or car.

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Had to google Neck Oil, assumed it was another name for Stella or something. No, it's a brand of beer.

I know you enjoy your red wine with ice so nice drinks probably aren't your thing but, as a generic beer on tap, Neck Oil is pretty good.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I know you enjoy your red wine with ice so nice drinks probably aren't your thing but, as a generic beer on tap, Neck Oil is pretty good.

I dont get out much, but saying that never seen it for sale, never heard of it. I am laser focused on getting nice chilled and iced red wine though

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Had to google Neck Oil, assumed it was another name for Stella or something. No, it's a brand of beer.

The Carling Black Label of the "Craft" Ale market.

6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Beavertown Brewery - founded by Robert Plant's son 10 years ago or so. 

Now they are just part of big beer (Heineken purchased them)

Errr... back on topic... it would be about £6 a pint in Brum for something like that

Edited by Xela

Two stories about inflation,.one from  Sky blaming it on wage inflation

"Worry for Bank of England as higher wages become 'biggest driver of price rises'
The results of a business lobby group's survey suggest that high wage pressures remained entrenched in the economy last month, bolstering the bank's case for more rate hike pain to come."

https://news.sky.com/story/worry-for-bank-of-england-as-higher-wages-become-biggest-driver-of-price-rises-12915433

The other from the Guardian, blaming greedy companies.

"World’s 722 biggest companies ‘making $1tn in windfall profits’
Collective profit comes on back of soaring energy prices and rising interest rates, according to Oxfam and ActionAid"

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/06/worlds-722-biggest-companies-making-1tn-in-windfall-profits

This really is a battle between big businesses and working people, most don't even realise what's unfolding. A more divided world with super rich and the poor. 

• Like 3

I need to leave my current company, its not a good look when the non-grad staff all got a bonus and decent payrise but they reneged on the payrises for us and no bonus. Got close to 2 years in the tech industry now so going to start looking. Dosen't sit well with me when the CEO keeps crowing about how we have grown over 22% since last year but due to 'macroeconomic pressures and tailwinds", we are keeping our cost base under control. Our company was taken over by a soulless USA/India based company and if any of you have ever worked for these types of businesses, you will know how much they like to play the whole "loyalty/family" card, to get people to stay for the long term on as cheap as they can get. They will bring in people on higher salaries for doing the same job, i need to do the same and jump ship too. enough is enough!

• Like 3

I saw some bollocks from Sunak about how fixed rate mortgages are a problem for managing inflation too.

All this time I've been railing against Big Business, and it turns out it's my fixed rate, wage demands, and reluctance to restrict my spending on minor luxuries that are shafting us all, sorry everybody.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I saw some bollocks from Sunak about how fixed rate mortgages are a problem for managing inflation too.

All this time I've been railing against Big Business, and it turns out it's my fixed rate, wage demands, and reluctance to restrict my spending on minor luxuries that are shafting us all, sorry everybody.

Hands up, I’ve been letting the side down too

senserosgif.gif

I see the boss of Shell bigging up fossil fuels today and some other energy fella was trying to shit us all up with the threat of high prices the other day.

White collar gangsters, the lot of them.

On 04/07/2023 at 10:20, desensitized43 said:

The situation with them makes me so **** angry. They're basically owned by other states sovereign wealth funds who have syphoned the money out, invested pretty much nothing, and now we're expected to pay.

Any reasonable government would be calling in the ambassadors to these countries and telling them that unless they stop taking the piss we're going to start enacting some very harsh laws to restrict investment that British companies can make in their countries.

In general, the privatisation of a service where you have absolutely no choice which company you use is a very very strange approach

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

In general, the privatisation of a service where you have absolutely no choice which company you use is a very very strange approach

The whole thing is a massive stitch up,  I can't see people accepting this type of behavior year after year, surely there will be a breaking point? 

8 minutes ago, tinker said:

The whole thing is a massive stitch up,  I can't see people accepting this type of behavior year after year, surely there will be a breaking point? 

It is. Breaking point has already happened. The Tories are toast, stale toast at that.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â