The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

This latest price cap is from July. Cornwall insights predict from October the price cap for average household will be £1976 (they predicted £2054 from July so were only £20 under). From January 2024 they predict £2045. 

£2,000 a year is £166 a month, it’s not that unreasonable now I don’t think. Not long ago there was talk of more than double that.

Historically my bills have been in the £100-120 a month ball park. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

£2,000 a year is £166 a month, it’s not that unreasonable now I don’t think. Not long ago there was talk of more than double that.

Historically my bills have been in the £100-120 a month ball park. 

That sounds about right. Typical household bill in late 2021 was £1270 a year. From July it will be around a 65% increase on those late 2021 prices. 

£1.28 litre for deisel today in Manchester,  10p cheaper than it was before the pandemic. A few including them EG fellas still keeping prices around £1.50 though

If fuels cheap, surely energy should be cheap and other prices including food etc should be coming down, but according to the media food prices are  still set to rise. Supermarkets taking the chance to pay off there debt I guess.

Real rip off Britain at the moment.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Scottish prices are nothing to write home about but saw in Dumbarton diesel 2p cheaper than petrol. 

It’s getting interesting but Buckfast still slightly cheaper so I’ll not be changing my tipple just yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s getting interesting but Buckfast still slightly cheaper so I’ll not be changing my tipple just yet.

Buckfast and Lorne sausage holding their own. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Scottish prices are nothing to write home about but saw in Dumbarton diesel 2p cheaper than petrol. 

This is what's happening now to get prices low I think. The place in Manchester I mentioned, Petrol was £1.27, a penny cheaper than diesel, an so it should.

Done around 850 mile this week (including tomorrow), saved £85 on Fuel, from when Diesel was £1.95ish a litre, I don't do this every week, but if I did over a month it would be £320.00 saving, shocking!

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

You know how to live.

I'm amazed his motorhome made it that far. Was it transported on the back of a RAC low loader?

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

£1.28 litre for deisel today in Manchester,  10p cheaper than it was before the pandemic. A few including them EG fellas still keeping prices around £1.50 though

If fuels cheap, surely energy should be cheap and other prices including food etc should be coming down, but according to the media food prices are  still set to rise. Supermarkets taking the chance to pay off there debt I guess.

Real rip off Britain at the moment.

Part of the problem with Oil and gas for electricity generation is that they have to buy in months in advance so those prices are locked in for months ahead

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I'm amazed his motorhome made it that far. Was it transported on the back of a RAC low loader?

Not going to lie, surprised more than anything. Tomorrow we head to St Anne’s from the land of deep fried mars bars and if it starts I will be grateful. 

• Like 2

An interesting chart on the BBC

Loo roll, butter and ketchup are more expensive in the UK compared to some of our biggest European neighbours, research for the BBC suggests. 

But the UK is the cheapest for nappies and frozen pizza, consumer analysts Circana found.

We compared the price of 23 food and non-food items in France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands.

_130037015_optimised-heatmap-plot-nc.png

link

Whats France’s excuse for being so expensive? 

Edited by Genie

I think bog roll is a bit of an outlier for a headline.

I've never found any bog roll in Europe that you could say was the equivalent of Andrex, the rolls are always smaller and less tightly wound onto the roll.

How many of those countries actually really sell ketchup and in what quantities?

Same for butter really too, most european countries don't seem to go for that spreadable out of the fridge butter / not really butter stuff, they generally just use butter, so again I reckon what is classed as butter and and the consumption of it are totally different in the UK to that abroadia

It's also noticeable they haven't put in any Scandinavian prices for comparison, it's like they are trying to prove a point and are selecting the data points to be the most advantageous to that

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think bog roll is a bit of an outlier for a headline.

I've never found any bog roll in Europe that you could say was the equivalent of ******, the rolls are always smaller and less tightly wound onto the roll

Removed swear word, but exactly this, how many sheets, sheet size, basis weight, for example.  Yes I am that Nerd.

• Haha 1

I thought Brexit was supposed to put an end to Rip Off Britain?

There was a report yesterday (can't remember now where I read it) that said we pay nearly DOUBLE the European average for Gas and Electricity per unit, and the next highest was still a long way behind us.

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I thought Brexit was supposed to put an end to Rip Off Britain?

There was a report yesterday (can't remember now where I read it) that said we pay nearly DOUBLE the European average for Gas and Electricity per unit, and the next highest was still a long way behind us.

And we’re still paying the 5% tax on household energy that Boris said we’d scrap once we’d left. 

• Like 1

Toilet tissue in europe is basically the same that is sold in petrol stations, feeble, loosely wound and only good for an emergency. It is never Shades equivalent. 

• Like 1

Of all the things to make me proud to be British, I didn't expect it to be the standard of paper used to smear shit around our arseholes in an inadequate attempt to clean.

Get a bidet, you animals.

• Haha 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â