The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Who ever created this legislation should be thrown in prison. Absolute load of bollocks.

The public should be able to vote whether they deserve a pay increase. They serve us so we should be able to object to them getting a pay increase when they perform pathetically like we  have had for a while now

It seems designed to avoid some virtue-signalling bugger making the rest look bad.

Dennis Skinner always claimed the absolute minimum expenses, while others had their heads deep in the trough - it must have totally pissed-off the greed-heads.

2 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

No I really do want to see some deflation. It's not one thing that's too expensive, it's pretty much everything at the moment. Energy, Food, Houses, Cars, Building Materials, the list goes on.

How much inflation do we have to see before the powers the be look at it and go "yeah, prices have gone up so much that just bringing inflation down to 2% isn't going to correct this".

I know what you're saying, in an economy that's fueled by consumer spending, why would I make a purchase today if it'll be cheaper tomorrow? I have a theory that this is looking like massive bubble territory and if they don't get a grip on it and start to bring down living costs to something affordable and with them the interest rates you're going to see mass defaults on Mortgages soon and a situation where people who've run up a load of debt in order to maintain their living standards (because we don't live in a society anymore where people will accept being poorer and start acting like it) start to go bankrupt.

I guess I'm splitting hairs to some extent here, but what you actually want is for wages to increase more than prices are increasing - i.e. for prices to come down relative to earnings. That has the same effect without the problematic economic aspects of deflation.

What do you think the powers that be should do about it, though? I agree that quite a lot of people just don't want to accept they are now poorer, but I'm not sure what the solution to that is beyond waiting for financial reality to convince them.

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

What do you think the powers that be should do about it, though? I agree that quite a lot of people just don't want to accept they are now poorer, but I'm not sure what the solution to that is beyond waiting for financial reality to convince them.

Sadly, it's pretty much this.

Have many people actually changed their lifestyle to reduce the financial burden they're facing?

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

What do you think the powers that be should do about it, though? 

In the UK we have seen the biggest drop in living standards over the last couple of years since records began in 1956. It goes way beyond the last couple of years though as since 2010 the gap in our living standards in the UK to the countries we like to compare ourselves with, France, Germany, USA, has been widening. This is because since 2010 we have had really low growth and those in power are very much responsible for that. 

We also have a distribution of wealth issue in the UK where the richest people are much wealthier than the richest in most other European countries whereas the masses (those of us on middle/lower incomes) are poorer than our European counterparts. Your typical French household is 11% richer, typical German household is 27% richer. Go over the pond and your typical US household over 60% richer than your typical UK household.

Brexit will have had a big impact on low growth, the years of austerity under Cameron and Osborne and the failure to stimulate the economy post covid. It was announced today that our economy is still 0.5% smaller than it was just before covid hit. The US economy in contrast is over 5% bigger than it was pre covid and a big part of that is due to the huge stimulus packages by the US government.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Sadly, it's pretty much this.

Have many people actually changed their lifestyle to reduce the financial burden they're facing?

I was going to but then I saw a meme that told me to live each day like it's my last so I thought **** it.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I was going to but then I saw a meme that told me to live each day like it's my last so I thought **** it.

YOLO!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

People that have got **** all encouraging others to be in the shit like them.

• Like 1

On a serious note, the YOLO philosophy is incredibly destructive. It's always promoted by people who lie about their advantages in life and make out that everyone is free to just swan off round the world for a year

• Like 4

One of my fave versions of YOLO is the occasional gem you get on desert island discs, usually along the lines of ‘of course back then we had absolutely no money, we knew we had to get some money together some how, just to eat! So daddy bought an old Opera House…’

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tbf it is weird that pretty much everything is controlled by some arbitrary numbers floating about that in the main don’t have any tangible form.  All just made up by a bunch of people once upon a time. 

9 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Tbf it is weird that pretty much everything is controlled by some arbitrary numbers floating about that in the main don’t have any tangible form.  All just made up by a bunch of people once upon a time. 

As the Jeremy Irons' character in Margin Call said

"It's just money. It's made up. Pieces of paper with pictures on it so we don’t have to kill each other just to get something to eat"

I mentioned before, people who struggled before are finding it harder, people who didn't struggle have not really changed there lifestyle at all. I mean does anyone no anyone the energy crisis actually effected? You just still pay what you can and run yourself into debt.

Social media and the like are changing the culture of people these days, saying it's okay to live off debt, even millionaires do it. But most don't understand you need to be able to service that debt. Younger people are running up debt to have the cars, designer clothes etc due to the influence on social media too, it's all changed from our days of not going out cause you were skint till pay day.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I mentioned before, people who struggled before are finding it harder, people who didn't struggle have not really changed there lifestyle at all. I mean does anyone no anyone the energy crisis actually effected? You just still pay what you can and run yourself into debt.

Social media and the like are changing the culture of people these days, saying it's okay to live off debt, even millionaires do it. But most don't understand you need to be able to service that debt. Younger people are running up debt to have the cars, designer clothes etc due to the influence on social media too, it's all changed from our days of not going out cause you were skint till pay day.

The problem is that a lot of people got used to running up debt in a low / zero interest rate environment. It was almost risk free.

I don’t think enough people appreciate now how much more quickly debt will spiral out of control as interest rates go up.

There will be a cultural shift back IMO as people start to learn the hard way about Instagram vs reality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I mean does anyone no anyone the energy crisis actually effected? You just still pay what you can and run yourself into debt.

I guess a lot of this is going on. People aren’t exactly going to be shouting about it but potentially putting shopping and other bills onto credit card’s because their cash has been eaten up by their energy and mortgage bills.

• Like 1

I know I keep post the prices at those two petrol stations by me but today another drop and for the first time in, well quite frankly a f*** of a long time, so long I can't remember, diesel is cheaper than petrol.

Diesel dropped 3p to 135.9 and petrol dropped 1p to 137.9

Thats £6.17 per gallon for diesel

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Price of a scotch egg in Padstow: £13.95

But it was very nice.

I can get a friggin brilliant artisan pizza hand made in an independent pizzeria delivered to my door within half an hour of ordering for less than that

Thats a ludicrous price

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

I can get a friggin brilliant artisan pizza hand made in an independent pizzeria delivered to my door within half an hour of ordering for less than that

Thats a ludicrous price

It was a haddock scotch egg, so no pork mince, but haddock flakes.

It came with six little rocket leaves, 3 dots of balsamic vinegar, and three dots of horseradish.

Would have to say it was easily the best scotch egg I’ve ever had.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â