The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

thats cheapish but the two by me are miles cheaper that anywhere in the country I think

Goes to show doesn’t it, greedy clearings in the woods. I know a couple of people who are doing ok selling it at a quid a litre. They do the ground works on site and it’s normal diesel now, not red . From what I hear a lot of people are having a piece of the cake which was expected really. 

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am at Bala in that Wales and passed by a few petrol stations to get here, in Stafford 161 for diesel, over the border in Wales 147.9

See even that is wrong. You expect to pay more in the countryside not less. There's less competition and it's no closer to say Stanlow than Stafford so it's not even distance to the refinery (which would never be a difference of that magnitude anyway)

48 minutes ago, Genie said:

BP have announced profits of £4,000,000,000 for the last 3 MONTHS.

*runs to check his pension*..... *disappointed face*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

*runs to check his pension*..... *disappointed face*

On the subject of pensions I checked mine the other week and it was doing surprisingly well… maybe I should stop complaining about energy supplier profits 🤔 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Genie said:

On the subject of pensions I checked mine the other week and it was doing surprisingly well… maybe I should stop complaining about energy supplier profits 🤔 

You're lucky, mine is performing as well as Leeds United at the moment. 

I would have thought a pension fund full of the axis of evil (energy, financial and tech company stocks) would be doing well. Clearly not!

We had a presentation from our new pension provider recently and one revelation that distressed me somewhat is that my pension is now in "wind down mode" 😱😨

Entered our window to change our mortgage deal - not due to expire until end of October. Seemed a bit early to have them available, which makes me think they're trying to get me tied in...

Approaching the end of a 3.24% 5 year rate, and been offered 2 year fixed at 4.85%, 5 years at 4.15% and 10 years at 4.38%...

Not unhappy with those deals given the current climate, although I dont think Id sign up to 10 years... not sure if it's best to take the 2 year, 5 year or to wait a couple more months and see if it changes much more...

Edited by StewieGriffin

1 hour ago, StewieGriffin said:

Entered our window to change our mortgage deal - not due to expire until end of October. Seemed a bit early to have them available, which makes me think they're trying to get me tied in...

Nope, most offers are valid for six months. Have been for a long time before the current horrorshow. 

Who are you with? With only about three lender exceptions, there's nothing stopping you just saying yes now and then scrapping it in August if things are better.

And even if it's one of the exceptions, just get an offer from someone else and scrap it in August if things are better.

Edited by ml1dch

44 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The £1 coin is 40 years old this year and its purchasing power is estimated to be about 30p compared to a 1983 £.

We went to the Mint when they were making them in advance of them going in to circulation.

The guide pointed at a giant bin of shiny new coins (like an oil barrel sized thing) and said if we could pick them up, we could have them.

We moved off around the mint, finished the tour, and got back on the coach back to college.

My mate asked the lecturer if they were real because it was odd we were allowed to just take some, and showed the lecturer a pocket full he had indeed managed to pick up. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Nope, most offers are valid for six months. Have been for a long time before the current horrorshow. 

Who are you with?

Ah, I did not know that!

We're with Halifax currently.

The jump to variable is frightening - 7.45%, adds about £250 on to the monthly repayment. I've never understood why some people prefer variable rates...

10 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Ah, I did not know that!

We're with Halifax currently.

The jump to variable is frightening - 7.45%, adds about £250 on to the monthly repayment. I've never understood why some people prefer variable rates...

Yeah, Halifax are fine. Just flip a coin between two and five, accept it, set a reminder for September 1st, check what they're offering then, if it's lower then you can just phone them, cancel it and take the September 1st version.

No risk involved at all.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

We had a presentation from our new pension provider recently and one revelation that distressed me somewhat is that my pension is now in "wind down mode" 😱😨

I'd do some research and perhaps get some independent advice on that. Unless you're planning on getting an annuity, I think "wind down mode" is a terrible idea.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â