The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

£4:40 mark up for Uber without the delivery :D 

I don't countenance delivery apps, card payment, or Stump come to think of it :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bickster said:

These prices are nuts

Cod and chips £10, Cod on its own £8 and that's in a decent chippy near me. There are worse ones that are cheaper. I can get F&C twice with Curry Sauce and Peas delivered by Deliveroo cheaper than you guys are paying for a walk-in

You are having your pants pulled down with those prices

A large cod for £10 is pretty standard by me (Sedgley) anything cheaper and it would be quite small and not worth it. Large chips for £4, which Mrs F and I share is also pretty standard. Two pots of curry sauce and we’re looking at spending £28 if we go. Not cheap for two.

35 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

A large cod for £10 is pretty standard by me (Sedgley) anything cheaper and it would be quite small and not worth it. Large chips for £4, which Mrs F and I share is also pretty standard. Two pots of curry sauce and we’re looking at spending £28 if we go. Not cheap for two.

Christ I can get all that delivered  inc a tip for less than that

• Haha 1

Battered fish is probably the most overrated meal in the world.

It's just a national habit, I'm sure.

I can eat it, but apart from batter, and a little fish flavouring, pound for pound it's an awful meal in comparison to more or less anything else.

Chips are alright on occasions, maybe 3/4 times a year. 

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I can eat it, but apart from batter, and a little fish flavouring, pound for pound it's an awful meal in comparison to more or less anything else.

PFE!

• Like 2

Aldridge chippy do a 'lunchbox' special - jumbo sausage (kw), tray of chips and side (peas, gravy or curry) and its £5.25 I think. Was sub £5 a month or so back. 

Much better than fish n chips. 

Hoy a pukka pie on the side and its a bostin' feed for about £8

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

shut-your-dirty-little-mouth.gif

• Like 1

I've had fish and chips in numerous places at numerous times, it's definitely overrated.  The chips are the best thing about it.

And I love sea food.  Weak tasting white fish fillets in batter... Meh.

Much rather have kebab meat (lamb or chicken). 

• Like 1

On 01/10/2024 at 20:42, lapal_fan said:

I've had fish and chips in numerous places at numerous times, it's definitely overrated.  The chips are the best thing about it.

And I love sea food.  Weak tasting white fish fillets in batter... Meh.

Much rather have kebab meat (lamb or chicken). 

Agreed, sometimes I fancy some fish and chips as I've not had it in a while, then I get a third of the way in and remember why I've not had it in a while.  I prefer fish and chips in a decent pub that does triple-cooked chips and the fish is fried specially for you and not hanging round in the counter for ages.

15 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

and the fish is fried specially for you and not hanging round in the counter for ages

That would be one of the definitions of a shit chip shop.

If I walk past a new chippy and see fish in the keep it warmish section, I never go in. Second rule is if food is getting served into polystyrene containers, nope, not going in there either. Cardboard boxes or paper only please

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

That would be one of the definitions of a shit chip shop.

If I walk past a new chippy and see fish in the keep it warmish section, I never go in. Second rule is if food is getting served into polystyrene containers, nope, not going in there either. Cardboard boxes or paper only please

I see that but I also hate waiting for them to finish cooking the fish, especially these days when I'm sat there and suddenly 4 people who have ordered online turn up and get theirs first.  At least with pub fish and chips, you're in a pub.

23 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Agreed, sometimes I fancy some fish and chips as I've not had it in a while, then I get a third of the way in and remember why I've not had it in a while.  I prefer fish and chips in a decent pub that does triple-cooked chips and the fish is fried specially for you and not hanging round in the counter for ages.

You just haven't found the right chip shop or used it at the wrong time. For the best results you have to join a que to get em, that way there freshly cooked. Best I have ever had was probably Whitby,  Hadleys. 

I’ve moaned a few times about the cost of eating out and that restaurants were now having to heavily discount because they raised prices so high over the last 18 months (took the piss basically). TGI Fridays are the latest to go bust. We would occasionally go to the one in Sutton Coldfield and the last time we felt it was a total rip off, about £20 for an adult’s sesame chicken and fries. 

It looks like there’s a rescue deal for a lot of the stores but the Sutton Coldfield branch isn’t on the list.

That whole industry is getting what it deserves to be honest. I feel for the people at a working level caught up in it.

Today in the post we have 30% off vouchers at the local Marstons pub/restaurants and I have 40% off vouchers for Beefeater in my email.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ve moaned a few times about the cost of eating out and that restaurants were now having to heavily discount because they raised prices so high over the last 18 months (took the piss basically). TGI Fridays are the latest to go bust. We would occasionally go to the one in Sutton Coldfield and the last time we felt it was a total rip off, about £20 for an adult’s sesame chicken and fries. 

It looks like there’s a rescue deal for a lot of the stores but the Sutton Coldfield branch isn’t on the list.

That whole industry is getting what it deserves to be honest. I feel for the people at a working level caught up in it.

Today in the post we have 30% off vouchers at the local Marstons pub/restaurants and I have 40% off vouchers for Beefeater in my email.

Took my daughter to Nando's yesterday. Definitely her choice!

£20 per head for a grilled chicken breast covered in some sauce, a few batons of fried potato, a salad consisting of a couple of tomato's and cucumber slices and a fizzy drink made from syrup.

I did point out that we could have gone to a pub and have a proper meal for a lot less than that per head.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

The flip side is that the pandemic absolutely shafted them, they built up debt, there’s been a shortage of labour leading to increased wages, business rates went up, rents went up, ingredients and energy went up and people also go less often because of cost of living…

Some absolutely take the piss, but many are struggling to stay afloat, rather than profiteering.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

The flip side is that the pandemic absolutely shafted them, they built up debt, there’s been a shortage of labour leading to increased wages, business rates went up, rents went up, ingredients and energy went up and people also go less often because of cost of living…

Some absolutely take the piss, but many are struggling to stay afloat, rather than profiteering.

I think the big chains got greedy, pushing prices well over the rate of inflation. Maybe that was them being too aggressive in paying down debts they were holding. l Smaller groups and independents have faired much better and remain more cooperatively priced.

It’s harder for the big chains to lower prices once they’ve raised them which is another part of the problem. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â