The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

Behavioural economics lads. Once toast (the product itself, the convivence of having it when you want it, the situation you're eating it in) has justified it's price once, it's perfectly normal to do it again. £2 for toast is expensive, but we all make a lot of decisions in life that cost more in the long term. I'm the pro-toast-on-the-road team. And, I'd guess the people that do that, probably don't spend £3-5 on a coffee and muffin.

For comparison, the amount of people I see that don't buy a carrier bag because it's 30p in the supermarket, but then try to carry £30+ worth of groceries and alcohol out the supermarket, under their arms, dropping everything, slowing down the queue. Come on now.

9 hours ago, T-Dog said:

I'm the pro-toast-on-the-road team. And, I'd guess the people that do that, probably don't spend £3-5 on a coffee and muffin

As it happens, sucker number 1 here doesn't spend £3 on a coffee from a coffee shop. We do have a kettle in the office and I'm quite happy with the results of coffee flavoured granules. 

45 minutes ago, sidcow said:

As it happens, sucker number 1 here doesn't spend £3 on a coffee from a coffee shop. We do have a kettle in the office and I'm quite happy with the results of coffee flavoured granules. 

Exactly my point sir, I'm with you on this one.

13 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Behavioural economics lads. Once toast (the product itself, the convivence of having it when you want it, the situation you're eating it in) has justified it's price once, it's perfectly normal to do it again. £2 for toast is expensive, but we all make a lot of decisions in life that cost more in the long term. I'm the pro-toast-on-the-road team. And, I'd guess the people that do that, probably don't spend £3-5 on a coffee and muffin.

For comparison, the amount of people I see that don't buy a carrier bag because it's 30p in the supermarket, but then try to carry £30+ worth of groceries and alcohol out the supermarket, under their arms, dropping everything, slowing down the queue. Come on now.

I rely on big pockets or (occasionally) a wheelbarrow

13 hours ago, T-Dog said:

I see that don't buy a carrier bag because it's 30p in the supermarket, but then try to carry £30+ worth of groceries and alcohol out the supermarket, under their arms, dropping everything, slowing down the queue. Come on now.

Even if you don't actually pay for a bag, sometimes you still have to carry your shopping.

image.jpeg.36aae3dff09cfb0b4180aee771835b9d.jpeg

• Haha 1

a couple of weeks ago my lad asked to go to the cinema with his mates, no problem. He wanted to watch the new Deadpool film. I looked it up on the Odeon website and the special “buy before you arrive for a discount” price was £18.49 per ticket. Buying onsite and it’s £19.99

That’s an outrageous price for a single ticket. 

(as it happens I get 6 free tickets for Odeon per year from Lloyds Bank so didn’t need to buy with cash, but still, it’s a rip off).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

a couple of weeks ago my lad asked to go to the cinema with his mates, no problem. He wanted to watch the new Deadpool film. I looked it up on the Odeon website and the special “buy before you arrive for a discount” price was £18.49 per ticket. Buying onsite and it’s £19.99

(as it happens I get 6 free tickets for Odeon per year from Lloyds Bank so didn’t need to buy with cash, but still, it’s a rip off).

Christ on a bike.

No wonder no one is going to the movies anymore. That's jaw dropping expensive

You're mostly paying for outrageous real estate rent.

I spoke with a GM of a cinema and he was telling me the price of an actual ticket hasn't changed much in 20 years.

There's a reel cinema near me which is £4 a ticket, but the cinema own the building, so can charge far less.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I've just discovered that if you've got Amazon Prime membership you can get Odeon cinema tickets £10 for a pair.

• Thanks 4

15 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Also, there's no better breakfast and coffee combo anywhere, £ for £, outside of Greggs and I'll die on that hill.

Pound bakery - Bacon roll and a coffee £2.50

It's shit but no worse than Greggs

11 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

I've just discovered that if you've got Amazon Prime membership you can get Odeon cinema tickets £10 for a pair.

I've just discovered there isn't a film on at the Odeon that I'd want to waste £10 on :D 

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

I've just discovered there isn't a film on at the Odeon that I'd want to waste £10 on :D 

Oh come on there must be half a dozen Marvel and another collection of DC movies around to watch. 

How  can mankind survive without 30 or so new superhero films a year to watch? 

Failing that there has to be at least a sprinkling of:

Sequels to a tried and tested long franchise ensuring the dead horse is flogged

Movies made from successful books or computer games which will disappoint the fans of said book or computer game but guaranteeing their entrance money 

Any old cartoon shite just because the school holidays are on. 

How can you possibly say there isn't anything to watch from that box of delights? 

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â