The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

28 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oh just thought I'd mention the petrol station by me has been selling Diesel at £1:39.9 for about two weeks now, every other petrol station is at least 5p more and some are wildly 14p more

£1.47.9 ish around my way I think. 

32 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oh just thought I'd mention the petrol station by me has been selling Diesel at £1:39.9 for about two weeks now, every other petrol station is at least 5p more and some are wildly 14p more

1.55 mark at Holmes Chapel, appreciate its just off the motorway though

Cheapest by me apart from the no staff one is £1:43.9 at the closest Tesco. All the other Tesco are 1p more. Every other garage is more again. The one 300 meters up the road is £1:53.9 - yeah as usual they aren’t selling much

• 2 weeks later...

Just last week I checked how long the cost of my morning toast from Phillpotts had been £2.05.  The answer was over 12 months, so no inflation in 12 months.

Today I ordered my 2 slices of toast and £1.80 rang up.  When I queried this she said the price had gone down because their costs had fallen.

So are we seeing deflation kicking in for food prices?

Personally I think it's probably more like McDonalds who have also had to have a look at their pricing because sales have fallen as people no longer see them as a cheap meal.  But whatever the reasons it's good news for consumers.

On 01/08/2024 at 13:44, bickster said:

Cheapest by me apart from the no staff one is £1:43.9 at the closest Tesco. All the other Tesco are 1p more. Every other garage is more again. The one 300 meters up the road is £1:53.9 - yeah as usual they aren’t selling much

Cheapest nearto my work is at Beoley, just gone down a penny to 141.7p for diesel.

Most other places around are 5-8p more.

No wonder there was a queue.

Just now, rjw63 said:

Cheapest nearto my work is at Beoley, just gone down a penny to 141.7p for diesel.

Most other places around are 5-8p more.

No wonder there was a queue.

still mental here, the one i use is still £1.39.9 for diesel. There are petrol stations near to supermarkets undercutting the supermarkets by 1p (that NEVER used to happen) The cheapest supermarket is Tesco at £1.43.9 but only the one near the cheapo place.

I saw £1.53.9 the other day and most have gone back up since the election, probably by about 2 or 3p

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

Just last week I checked how long the cost of my morning toast from Phillpotts had been £2.05.  The answer was over 12 months, so no inflation in 12 months.

Today I ordered my 2 slices of toast and £1.80 rang up.  When I queried this she said the price had gone down because their costs had fallen.

My toast dealer is £1.50 for me, as I'm a regular customer. £2.50 for the normies. 

5 hours ago, bickster said:

still mental here, the one i use is still £1.39.9 for diesel. There are petrol stations near to supermarkets undercutting the supermarkets by 1p (that NEVER used to happen) The cheapest supermarket is Tesco at £1.43.9 but only the one near the cheapo place.

I saw £1.53.9 the other day and most have gone back up since the election, probably by about 2 or 3p

Wolverhampton is the cheapest for fuel I've seen, (not that I use fuel any more) £1.38 for diesel at Essar, £1 39 at Sainsburys and Asda by the Molineux. Must be for all those dodgy Wolvo licensed taxi drivers. 😂

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I know the 'just make that 7 course meal yourself' line is becoming a bit of a meme. But buying takeaway toast. TOAST?! For 2 **** quid?

Probably got it delivered too

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I know the 'just make that 7 course meal yourself' line is becoming a bit of a meme. But buying takeaway toast. TOAST?! For 2 **** quid?

It really is one step beyond

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Is this some sort of joke. Why wouid anybody buy toast when you csn just stick a couple of slices of bread in a toaster. 

I think the issue is finding a three pin plug socket on the street on your way to work.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I think the issue is finding a three pin plug socket on the street on your way to work.

Is your kitchen not on your way to work? 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is your kitchen not on your way to work? 😁

Oh, for clarity, I have a four slice Dualit with bagel function.

I was simply standing up for the less refined types.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I have a battery-powered toaster that I carry around so I can take it into the bath to enjoy some bobbing for crumpets

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I have a battery-powered toaster that I carry around so I can take it into the bath to enjoy some bobbing for crumpets

We did have a car kettle once, that plugged in to the cigar lighter thing.

Can you imagine the sense of jeopardy boiling a kettle on a bend in a ‘71 Beetle!

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â