The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

5 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

You’ve never worked in a bar, have you?

My wife, who has always had a desk job has said wouldnt it be great to work in Asda or Tesco, she has never worked in retail and it shows with that attitude.

• Like 2

Perhaps this national service should be everyone gets one month of mopping up sick. They can choose the location, a bar, a hospital, Ali’s Kebab Palace, the public toilet in Asda, that alleyway just behind 24/7 Fags Mags and Bags.

7 hours ago, turvontour said:

We spoke about this on here about 6 months ago I recall, and I've just read an article the telegraph have done on it.

The fact that minimum wage has gone up so much but normal wages haven't. 

The average wage is now only 1.5 times higher than the minimum wage whereas in the 90s it was closer to 2 times higher. 

What if this narrowing continues? What are the knock on impacts?

We mentioned previously, what is the incentive to become a nurse or a teacher, given the cost and stress, if increasingly you only make a small amount more than bar work for example. 

I get your point and agree about the middle income earners being squeezed, but contracted full time jobs have perks (much better pensions, sick pay, private medical care, etc) as opposed to zero hour jobs. I wouldn't want to have to rely on 40 hours a week in the Toby Carvery to make a living. 

I've worked very briefly in a customer facing role - at a cinema, on the snacks stand, when I was late teens. People spoke to me like shit. That was over 20 years ago, and I can imagine people nowadays being even more rude. I'm always very polite to service workers as I know its a thankless gig. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Xela said:

I get your point and agree about the middle income earners being squeezed, but contracted full time jobs have perks (much better pensions, sick pay, private medical care, etc) as opposed to zero hour jobs. I wouldn't want to have to rely on 40 hours a week in the Toby Carvery to make a living. 

I've worked very briefly in a customer facing role - at a cinema, on the snacks stand, when I was late teens. People spoke to me like shit. That was over 20 years ago, and I can imagine people nowadays being even more rude. I'm always very polite to service workers as I know its a thankless gig. 

When I worked at McDonald's circa 1989 two things stick in my mind. 

1) whilst cleaning around a table a woman told me to go away as she didn't want to watch someone cleaning when she was eating. 

2) a bloke from a couple thanking me for cleaning around them and the woman telling him not to thank me as I was just doing my job. Scummy Bitch.

Edited by sidcow
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ive noticed the last 4 weeks or so my food shop has gone down quite abit. Also got a letter saying my gas and electricity is going down (obviously as its summer)

its not to the levels it was before covid.

Hows it been for everyone else?

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Ive noticed the last 4 weeks or so my food shop has gone down quite abit. Also got a letter saying my gas and electricity is going down (obviously as its summer)

its not to the levels it was before covid.

Hows it been for everyone else?

I’m surprised your food shop has gone down when inflation is still going up.

My energy bill has been pretty flat for a couple of years as I was very lucky to be in a fix when it spiked right up. It’s still similar now, around £135 per month for gas and electricity.

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m surprised your food shop has gone down when inflation is still going up.

My energy bill has been pretty flat for a couple of years as I was very lucky to be in a fix when it spiked right up. It’s still similar now, around £135 per month for gas and electricity.

Yeah same here. I was paying about £90 before and now its about £65-£75 for most of the same things.

Thats not bad tbh genie for gas and electric mines dropped to abiut £200 a month now

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah same here. I was paying about £90 before and now its about £65-£75 for most of the same things.

Thats not bad tbh genie for gas and electric mines dropped to abiut £200 a month now

I’ve always been (pleasantly) surprised why my bill seems quite low considering me and the wife both work from home, and we have 2 children who have everything on charge.

I assume it’s down to the house being only 6 years old and having latest (at the time) boiler, insulation, low energy lighting etc.

On 25/06/2024 at 14:45, DaoDeMings said:

You’ve never worked in a bar, have you?

I get the feeling Forever works at his dads car shop, washing the cars, who treats him as tax avoidance :lol:

• Haha 2

On 25/06/2024 at 14:00, foreveryoung said:

If I was on less then 30k a year in a corporate, or hard job, I'd quit and do local bar work or alike. With extra hours which are always available, you'd be not far off 30k a year.

Walk to work, nice social atmosphere, no real fixed hours, work life balance, you couldn't ask for more.

Is this bar Spearmint Rhino and do you dance/strip

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Seems to be a new deal with British Gas - Fixed Tariff 12m v8 roughly a £30 annual saving for me. Might be worth looking at @Genie

Cheers mate, I’ve opted in. Another £34 saving 👍

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Seems to be a new deal with British Gas - Fixed Tariff 12m v8 roughly a £30 annual saving for me. Might be worth looking at @Genie

Im with them too.  Shouldnt they be emailing us about this?

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im with them too.  Shouldnt they be emailing us about this?

They add new deals to the website every few weeks, it’s just a case of checking and joining if you like it. There’s no fees involved.

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

They add new deals to the website every few weeks, it’s just a case of checking and joining if you like it. There’s no fees involved.

Thanks i thought i read somewhwre that they gas companies are obligated to email you if cheaper deals come on? I must have dreamt it

Im still seeing a drop on my food shopping its stayed stable for last 2-3 months. Buying same shit but saving at least £15-£20 a week. There is only two of us i shop foe mind you

Oh just thought I'd mention the petrol station by me has been selling Diesel at £1:39.9 for about two weeks now, every other petrol station is at least 5p more and some are wildly 14p more

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â