The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

25 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Well exactly. The starting wage for the police is about £23k. 

Can either do that, or pull pints in the slug and lettuce for the same money.

It’s pretty incredible the police, nurses and teachers manage to recruit people given the shit wages and shittier treatment by the government. 

Well, if we’re talking first jobs, my first job was sticker upper at a skittle alley and I got 5p off every player that I had to go round collecting it myself plus a pint of lemonade or beer depending on who was working the bar that evening.

Kids today?

I had to walk across a working dock to get to and from that railwayman’s working club and I got paid if I asked every curmudgeonly old bugger playing skittles for my 5p. Looking back, absolutely ridiculous, what sort of parent would leave a 12 / 13 year old to work in a pub back room, then walk home across the docks at 11 at night? But at the time I was out late, getting a pint of beer, and had a pocket full of my own money when I met up with mates on a Saturday. We’d go straight up Woolies, nick a load of stuff, and I’d still have a pocket full of my own money! But now I also had air fix paint pots and top trumps packs as well.

It did mean that I was known in the club, so by the time I was about 15 I was allowed a quiet drink in the tv lounge when there was no skittles. Get a pint and just sit and watch some telly. Right up to the point when the school headmaster came in one day and saw me. He nodded acknowledgement, but never ever mentioned it in school. Funny thing was he wasn’t just a headmaster, he was also a Justice of the Peace. And his name was Beer, which I always thought was funny. I’m rambling now. Jumpers for goalposts. Not half.

Halcyon / feral days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

I started on 3.85 in my first job. Kids these days don't know they're born etc

You forgot you could go to the pictures and have change for the bus home afterwards.

Kids deserve putting down the freeloaders. 

26 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You reckon it'll get any of those lazy barsquids being paid to lounge on the sofa watching tv all day into work? 

Personally I doubt it, don't think they would work for 30k a year basic, I know one!

Reminds me a bit of the scene in the Royale Family.

Jim is chatting to Anthony’s girlfriends dad who is a bit of a working class, made it rich type bloke with a successful business.

Jim says “there’s nothing for people like me out there, I’m on the scrapheap”

Then the dad says “I’ll give you a job, you’re exactly what I need in my business”

Jim then shits himself and makes up a load of excuses why he can’t work because he enjoys doing nothing too much.

:lol: 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s pretty incredible the police, nurses and teachers manage to recruit people given the shit wages and shittier treatment by the government. 

And the treatment of the public, increasingly. Being any of those professions 50 years ago arguably easier/more enjoyable than present day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

the age is probably the issue there

Shame really isnt it. You have people that age that want to work yet not given a chance

He has looked at all kinds of roles fast food, retail shitty night work no replies

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Shame really isnt it. You have people that age that want to work yet not given a chance

He has looked at all kinds of roles fast food, retail shitty night work no replies

Is there no carpenters or local builders who want to hire him? 

4 hours ago, turvontour said:

Well exactly. The starting wage for the police is about £23k. 

2022 average salaries:

Police - £26,199 (starting salary £21,402, after 7 years service £41,130)

Army soldier - £23,139 (plus substantial benefits)

Firefighter - £31,144

Nurse - £28,407

Paramedic - £25,655

Ambulance driver - £22,910

NEW MINIMUM WAGE IN 2024 - £22,308

https://www.reed.com/articles/police-officer-salary-structure

• Shocked 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â