The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Then there's petrol station prices, you need to be pretty well off to buy a bag of crisps and a chocolate bar in some of them.

I suppose 'snacks' at a petrol station can sit itself next to buying bottled beer in a pub.

Both are scandalous.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bickster said:

Wait til you realise they charge more in London :D 

Still £3.50 for a Super Bock in Tooting's Secret Bar.

Organic Helles is up to £4.50.

All without the Wetherspoon Brexit creche vibe!

Though Boom Bap's cocktail bar has gone from around £7 to £9 a drink, sadly.

20 minutes ago, Xann said:

Yeah I was talking about Tesco though :D 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Xann said:

That's one of them topless cocktail bars yeah? 😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I recall about a month or so ago now we went out for a meal, £60/£70 quid and the food wasn't even that decent which was annoying and kind of the final straw for dining out during this challenging time.

I would sooner hit M&S and get a massive steak/or decent meal for two, few beers and a bottle of wine and have a better night in for half the cost.

This is the choice you have now as a couple. The night in costs about £5-10 more than it did five years ago for nice meal and drinks. The night out costs about £40 more than five years ago. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yeah I was thinking about that the other day. Buying alcohol at a shop I reckon is probably around a third of the price you would pay at an average bar/pub, apart from Spoons which still seems to price stuff like its 2005. But then it's Spoons with its interesting clientele and sticky tables. 

It's closer to a quarter of the price isn't it, to consume the same alcohol at home as it is in a pub. Its crazy when you think about it. 75% of what your paying for is to be in that venue.

4 hours ago, bickster said:

I can rant all day about M&S, this one from yesterday. The missus wanted a Ham & Coleslaw sarnie. OK - £3.25, What am I going to have, ah ok I'll have that Ham and Cheese toastie thing, bit more expensive (or it used to be) than a standard sarnie. Oh that's £3.25 too

Butter or no butter? :trollface:

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

45 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Has anyone ever bought any Trappistes Rochefort 10 in a bar?

If you buy them on-line they are £5.29 but I can't even imagine the mark-up for a bar.

Luckily, you don't need many because they are 11.3%. 

Got a couple left from a summer trip to Belgium. Probs just shy of £3 a bottle. Would cost a fortune out over here. 

Going into the office is expensive. 

Daily travelcard, breakfast and coffee (ok, I don't need to buy that), can of pop from the works vending machine and maybe a coffee from our in-house Starbucks and thats 20 sheets. I make my own lunch otherwise it would be closer to 30 quid. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

Going into the office is expensive. 

Daily travelcard, breakfast and coffee (ok, I don't need to buy that), can of pop from the works vending machine and maybe a coffee from our in-house Starbucks and thats 20 sheets. I make my own lunch otherwise it would be closer to 30 quid. 

Yep, it costs me loads to go into the office with train fare, petrol to station, breakfast and lunch.  I hate it if I have to go in for extra days. And try to take a regular day at home to make the money back. 

1 hour ago, Villa87 said:

Got a couple left from a summer trip to Belgium. Probs just shy of £3 a bottle. Would cost a fortune out over here. 

I have a couple of bottles somewhere, so I guess I will get to find out if it keeps or not, as I've had it for years.

I actually think the 8 is better than the 10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I had a couple of night in Worcester a few weeks ago. Just on my own. Decent hotel (Diglis House, if people know it). I reckon the total cost - room and breakfast, 2x evening meals in the hotel, and various pints/lunch in the city centre (mate), was circa £500. It was nice, but **** hell! 

I’ve stayed there a couple of times, yes it’s decent and a great location. 

I’ve had the scrambled eggs and salmon for breakfast and it’s just the best.

• Like 1

I had one of the Rochefort varieties in the Ship and Castle in Aberystwyth, well over a decade ago.

Don't remember it being particularly expensive, do remember it was like drinking a Christmas pudding.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â