The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

16 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Walkers crisps. I think a bag these days has about 2 big crisps and about 10 broken scraps. That's why I don't buy them anymore.

I buy Brown Bag Crisps, they are expensive but worth it. Never touch Walkers, as you say your buying mostly air.

As well as shrinkflation supermarkets now seem to just stop supplying the lowest own brand products on a variety of stuff, so you have to shop up. Tesco have done that on a fair few things.  Also petrol seems to be jumping up, but overall I think prices are finally starting to stabilise.

Edited by The Fun Factory

16 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Walkers crisps. I think a bag these days has about 2 big crisps and about 10 broken scraps. That's why I don't buy them anymore.

You think that’s bad, you should see Space Raiders now. You only get one, they’ve actually had to de-pluralise the name.

• Haha 3

As for big, empty crisp packets. That doesn’t bother me - I’m reading the mass on the packet so I know I’m getting the most grams per grosz (versus own taste preference / quality considerations) unless they’re lying about that, which would presumably be highly illegal.

15 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

I buy Brown Bag Crisps, they are expensive but worth it. Never touch Walkers, as you say your buying mostly air.

And quantity aside, Walkers crisps are just a bit shit. They remind me of school packed lunches.

I don't eat crisps very often at all, they're occasional treat, so like you I'm happy to spend a bit more on something that doesn't taste of despair.

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

And quantity aside, Walkers crisps are just a bit shit. They remind me of school packed lunches.

I don't eat crisps very often at all, they're occasional treat, so like you I'm happy to spend a bit more on something that doesn't taste of despair.

They are definitely worth a try, I think you can get them off Amazon.

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Im suprised  as i think their crisps are pretty  shit.

Only ones i like are their maxx ones the paparika and the crispy chicken. Rest meh

Prefer kettle

Crisps as a whole gone up in price and less volume. Half the **** bags empty!

I agree they have turned shit and they have obviously changed their grade of potatoes and/or cooking oil down a level.

The last few times I've had a bag of walkers from a multi-pack I thought they were Golden Wonder or a supermarket own label, they've gone that crap.

I don't eat crisps as much I used to due to the above but when I do I don't mind a big bag of Salt & Vinegar Tyrells with a few beers, but that's about it. I'm more of a snacks fan in my old age, Nik Naks, Monster Munch, Chipsticks, Space Raiders etc.

But without going OT and drifring into "Favourite Snacks" territory, your last part of your post of the price rising for less product is another example of the shrinkflation pandemic that's been shafting us all for a while now.

8 hours ago, Genie said:

I was at KFC a couple of weeks back and one of their box meals was £9.99.

I was shocked, it was £6-7 not long ago. 4 of them is £40. I don’t want to pay £40 for some low quality trash food for the family.

Just buy the one box meal for yourself then, while the family looked on ;) 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, turvontour said:

What I realise the other night is that I need to mentally start treating £40 like its £25 to £30. And I just cant do it, yet. 

I was at a petrol station when it happened, and I thought I'll just top up, and it came to £33. And i thought, no, that should be about £19. I just cant match up my feeling of value in relation these current prices.

Mrs Sidcow is worse. She still works in 1990s pricing so moans about everything. 

8 hours ago, Genie said:

I was at KFC a couple of weeks back and one of their box meals was £9.99.

I was shocked, it was £6-7 not long ago. 4 of them is £40. I don’t want to pay £40 for some low quality trash food for the family.

Theres inflation caused by post covid, energy bills etc but then there’s a layer twice as thick of piss taking.

This!

Same as you, few weeks ago.. did similar on 2 meals... seen the price and just carried on driving through without actually ordering in the end.

Not a chance was I forking out almost £20 for 2 shit box meals when each meal only consists of 3 strips of chicken, a tiny bag of rubbery fries, a wee pot of dried out beans and a flat tango. 

Robbing b******s!

• Like 1

A 2 litre bottle of Pepsi was £1 before lockdown. Now it's £2 sometimes £2.50.

Insane inflation in such a short period of time and sorry, I just don't believe their costs have increased that much. 

That said B&M were selling them for £1.75 today. Nearly filled my boots with the stuff. 

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

Insane inflation in such a short period of time and sorry, I just don't believe their costs have increased that much. 

That said B&M were selling them for £1.75 today. Nearly filled my boots with the stuff. 

Even a few months ago there were plenty of them with £1.59 on the label, now the same labels have £2.09 on them. Over 30% increase in 3-6 months. 

• Like 1

Everyone has been hit hard by the rising costs and relatively stagnant wage growth over recent years. But those with the worst end of the deal seem to be the middle earners. Those who earned about 20 to 25k per year a decade ago. If you were on minimum wage earning 10k a year ten years ago, you now earn 20k a year on minimum wage. Those who were on 20 to 25k ten years ago dont earn 40 to 50k now, for those same roles. A teacher earning 29k in 2012 doesnt earn 60k now. Its almost as if minimum wage is surging higher to catch up to the middle earners and then masses are at the bottom end. 

Edited by turvontour
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

Everyone has been hit hard by the rising costs and relatively stagnant wage growth over recent years. But those with the worst end of the deal seem to be the middle earners. Those who earned about 20 to 25k per year a decade ago. If you were on minimum wage earning 10k a year ten years ago, you now earn 20k a year on minimum wage. Those who were on 20 to 25k ten years ago dont earn 40 to 50k now, for those same roles. A teacher earning 29k in 2012 doesnt earn 60k now. Its almost as if minimum wage is surging higher to catch up to the middle earners and then masses are at the bottom end. 

Great point.

Id argue the middle clas is now part of the poor.

I dont think there is much of a middle class these days. Your either stinking rich or just about keeping your head above water

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This!

Same as you, few weeks ago.. did similar on 2 meals... seen the price and just carried on driving through without actually ordering in the end.

Not a chance was I forking out almost £20 for 2 shit box meals when each meal only consists of 3 strips of chicken, a tiny bag of rubbery fries, a wee pot of dried out beans and a flat tango. 

Robbing b******s!

Gravy is nice mind 

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

Zx cola 2lts 48p

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â