The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You wouldnt think there was a cost of living crisis around me. Went out friday all the shops were packed with people buying loads of shit, restaurants all packed out ans all the pubs bars were absolutely rammed

Making the most of it before shit hits the fan?

28 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Making the most of it before shit hits the fan?

Maybe but when i was ina situation like this in early 2000s i literally did nothing. No holiday no spending on luxuries and any extra money i had i put towards the debts. Shit couple of years in terms of fun but best decision i made

I’ve had friends over here who’ve done it @Wainy316

Friend of mine in the ‘08 crash had bought a condo in South Florida. Renters trashed it and he was completely underwater on the mortgage.

So he maxed out all of his credit cards - about 100k and took bankruptcy. 7 years later it was off his credit report.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

I’ve had friends over here who’ve done it @Wainy316

Friend of mine in the ‘08 crash had bought a condo in South Florida. Renters trashed it and he was completely underwater on the mortgage.

So he maxed out all of his credit cards - about 100k and took bankruptcy. 7 years later it was off his credit report.

And there’s the blue print for the ultimate and most effective mass protest!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You wouldnt think there was a cost of living crisis around me. Went out friday all the shops were packed with people buying loads of shit, restaurants all packed out ans all the pubs bars were absolutely rammed

Maybe people are spending a small part of the money they would normally spend on holidays. On a flight to Greece last Sunday and there were plenty of empty seats,  never seen that before in late July/ August. 

Booked a campsite for this week and they had plenty of pitches, I think holidays may have been hit by people cutting back.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Maybe people are spending a small part of the money they would normally spend on holidays. On a flight to Greece last Sunday and there were plenty of empty seats,  never seen that before in late July/ August. 

Booked a campsite for this week and they had plenty of pitches, I think holidays may have been hit by people cutting back.

Probably because of the fires there

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tinker said:

No fires in the area I flew to. Campsites are down on bookings in this country. 

Is that because of the shit weather? Maybe more people usually book late and didn’t bother this summer.

I know in general the travel industry is booming this year.

Edit: When I said shit weather I thought camping might be here, but it might also apply to Greece for being unbearably hot.

Edited by Genie

54 minutes ago, tinker said:

No fires in the area I flew to. Campsites are down on bookings in this country. 

Glad to hear your not in a area thats been affe ting. But a lot of greek islands have had a lot of damage due to the fires.  You wouldn't want to go there for a holiday right now 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Glad to hear your not in a area thats been affe ting. But a lot of greek islands have had a lot of damage due to the fires.  You wouldn't want to go there for a holiday right now 

Rhodes did, corfu had an outbreak of arson, loads of other nationalities there, Italians, germans and French. Maybe people just looked at the headlines and drew the wrong conclusions. 

On 06/08/2023 at 10:35, Demitri_C said:

People can still go out when things cost more

• Like 1

On 06/08/2023 at 10:35, Demitri_C said:

So you went out and were shocked that lots of people around your area had the same idea?

I dont think there is anything at all wrong with what i have said and using the word "shocked" is so dramatic 

Of course people can still go out and spend money when they go out but then if you have money to do all these things then there really isnt a cost of living crisis is there.

If your struggling to pay your bills like you cant afford to pay your mortgage your not gonna go shopping and buying tonnes of things. When i was in birmingham months agao it was same at bull ring. When i went brighton  it was same there.

There of course is people that are feeling the poor. Im not dismissing those groups. But i would say on my experience people have more money than what they make out and im hlad they are. No one wants to see anyone struggle and not spend their hard earned money on things like they like not just bills

Edited by Demitri_C

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

There of course is people that are feeling the poor. Im not dismissing those groups. 

I think you should dismiss them. They sound like sicko's. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think there is anything at all wrong with what i have said and using the word "shocked" is so dramatic 

Of course people can still go out and spend money when they go out but then if you have money to do all these things then there really isnt a cost of living crisis is there.

If your struggling to pay your bills like you cant afford to pay your mortgage your not gonna go shopping and buying tonnes of things. When i was in birmingham months agao it was same at bull ring. When i went brighton  it was same there.

There of course is people that are feeling the poor. Im not dismissing those groups. But i would say on my experience people have more money than what they make out and im hlad they are. No one wants to see anyone struggle and not spend their hard earned money on things like they like not just bills

The cost of living crisis doesn't mean every single person is so poor they have zero disposable income.

Lots of people are in different situations. I've felt the pinch and don't spend much money on myself at all these days but I still go out once a month and see my mates.

You can't conclude there's no cost of living crisis just because the shops were busy when you went out. The figures clearly back up that there absolutely is

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The cost of living crisis doesn't mean every single person is so poor they have zero disposable income.

Lots of people are in different situations. I've felt the pinch and don't spend much money on myself at all these days but I still go out once a month and see my mates.

You can't conclude there's no cost of living crisis just because the shops were busy when you went out. The figures clearly back up that there absolutely is

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My point was the percentage feeling it. Compared to when the war 1st started and gas and electricity were up most places were deserted. People were cautious with their money. 

Im not seeing that as much now because i think 1) some things have gone down in price 2) summer we dont need our heating as much or at all 3) winter people stayed in alot and prob were able to save some caah.

Like i said im not saying there wasnt a cost of living crisis im saying i think its discreetly easing.  If there was people who were in fear of losing their homes they wouldnt be able to pay the extortionate holiday prices on top of everything else i mentioned in my post.

Like i said thats a good thing that people can go out use theie money fie things over than your bills. it doesnt have to always be doom and gloom. Im hopeful the worst is over with. If this **** idiots would stop putting interest rates up then it would help things more.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â