The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

Just now, bickster said:

Funny you should mention that, Wilko about to go bust and make 12,000 people unemployed

I’m not surprised. We had a very rare family trip into the local town centre 2 Saturdays ago. Looking for bits and bobs for their school pencil cases. 

We went into Wilko and we were the only people in there, on a Saturday afternoon.

1 till open with a cashier looking utterly bored.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m not surprised. We had a very rare family trip into the local town centre 2 Saturdays ago. Looking for bits and bobs for their school pencil cases. 

We went into Wilko and we were the only people in there, on a Saturday afternoon.

1 till open with a cashier looking utterly bored.

I think in their case it is just they haven't been competitive since the arrival of Home Bargains and B&M. You can buy the shit they sell cheaper elsewhere or as per usual Amazon

They haven't been competitive for ages.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Funny you should mention that, Wilko about to go bust and make 12,000 people unemployed

Follow the Woolworths business model and you end up like Woolworths.

Wilkinson's used to be bloody brilliant, had almost everything you needed and was a great substitute for heading out of town to a big B&Q, or out to an industrial estate for a Wickes or Screwfix. Everything you needed for DIY on the high street.

In recent years they've refitted loads of their shops to make the aisles bigger and reduced stock and their range significantly, massively hiked prices even before the inflation problems, and B&M and Home Bargains and the like seem to be eating their lunch.

Can't remember the last time I went into a Wilko and didn't leave thinking it was a bit of a shithole, tbh. The state of their self service tills just being normal tills and having to use a handheld scanner makes me laugh, I've not seen any other shop that's so cheap.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not everyone will need/get help.

Those that are struggling financially are doing their bit by stopping spending (because they’ve got nothing to spend).

Some of those that still have some spare money should be tempted into saving it rather than spending it.

Inflation comes down… along with economic growth. Businesses will go bust and unemployment will rise. The B word will get mentioned a lot.

This time next year there will be a package of measures announced by the government to stimulate the economy.

and around we go again.

Was listening to some women on the wireless talking about this and saying exactly what you are. She also said this way of handling inflation is way out of date,  something many including myself believe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Was listening to some women on the wireless talking about this and saying exactly what you are. She also said this way of handling inflation is way out of date,  something many including myself believe.

Yep, we’re replacing 1 issue with a different issue… but that’s tomorrows problem. Such short term thinking.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

She also said this way of handling inflation is way out of date,  something many including myself believe.

It is possibly your least controversial opinion ever

• Haha 1

It would be nice to think someone in Government is looking at the causes of the current inflation at ground level and look at the reasons why prices in shops are increasing. Tracing goods back to source and identifying the exact story behind each increase at each point of the supply chain. 

I'm sure that a tax break here and a reduction in red tape there would alleviate a lot of it. 

But no, they either don't bother or if they do just ignore the evidence and let the BOE get on with punishing the people. 

I’d have done a 2 pronged attack.

1) Increase interest rates to somewhere like 3.5%
2) Offer government backed high interest saving schemes 

I think that shouldn’t completely screw the people with their mortgage payments and those that can afford to save take money out of the economy by locking it away.

It’ll still tank the economy in the short term but that’s because the government are trying to play catch up because they let inflation get out of control before acting.

They could offer something to businesses to keep them going (tax relief, reduced business rates).

Edited by Genie

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I dunno, really. I mean you're right in that it's undeniable that politicians (some) and the social media places maybe seem or are that way, but in terms of actual "normal" life, I'm not so sure at all. Maybe I'm lucky, but 99% of the time the people I interact with are still as lovely as ever. People are donating to food banks, charity, doing stuff to help people struggling with the CoL...being typically, understatedly generous much the same as brits have always been, I think. It's just that that kind of stuff doesn't make the news or the internets or get talked about by politicians and so the impression is what you say, but the reality maybe different.

We're drifting OT here, but whilst I hear you and your descriptions match a lot of the people I rub shoulders with, the reality is that someone is buying right-wing newspapers and voting Tory in the polls for the last 12 years...

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Problem is the other way is to give us all a huge pot of cash 😬

IIRC that is exactly what Australia did about 15 years ago, they literally gave everyone in the country so many thousands of Aus Dollars which was supposed to be spent on something or other but there were no controls to actually check (definitely weren't supposed to use it for foreign travel etc)

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

We're drifting OT here, but whilst I hear you and your descriptions match a lot of the people I rub shoulders with, the reality is that someone is buying right-wing newspapers and voting Tory in the polls for the last 12 years...

Sure, but that’s always been the case and my suspicion is that there will be fewer of them come the next election. And the cost of living will be one of many reasons why 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Wilko never bothered opening anywhere reasonably close to me so can **** off as far as I am concerned 🤟

The minute they rebranded to 'Wilko' was the death knell. It would be like McDonalds rebranding as 'Maccies', or Nandos rebranding as 'words removed'

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

The minute they rebranded to 'Wilko' was the death knell. It would be like McDonalds rebranding as 'Maccies', or Nandos rebranding as 'words removed'

Nandos, should be in another thread, but you could have a 4 course a-la-carte meal for the price of a few pieces of chicken in Nandos, bloody words removed rip offs.

Nice though 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Nice though 🤣

I have enjoyed it on the very few occasions i've been... no surprise though as I like chicken, I like fries, I like rice, and I like peri sauce!

Its not just a Nando's, its a cheeky Nando's ;) 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â