The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I am currently basking in paying 10p less for my milk. That will offset my impending mortgage hike.

Exactly, last week BoE stated 1 million people would soon be paying £500 or more on their mortgages per month. That bombshell isn’t going away because petrol came down 10p a litre.

Hopefully if inflation comes down to 2-3% there will be a temptation to reduce the base rate of interest a bit to get the economy out of the slump. 

It won’t be going <1% off a very long time but 2-3% might be possible.

Edited by Genie

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Exactly, last week BoE stated 1 million people would soon be paying £500 or more on their mortgages per month. That bombshell isn’t going away because petrol came down 10p a litre.

Hopefully if inflation comes down to 2-3% there will be a temptation to reduce the base rate of interest a bit to get the economy out of the slump. 

It won’t be going <1% off a very long time but 2-3% might be possible.

And how long will that take for mortgage brokers to pass down methinks?

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think there’s more competition in that market than general banking savings rates so there should be better deals around quite quickly. 

11 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Mortgage brokers will pass that on IMMEDIATELY the mortgage providers make them available.  It's literally how they make a living.

its pretty mad seeing the rises in monthly payments some mortgage holders are going to be paying, 700 extra per month seems to be expected for those coming of their fix. I'm gonna be fine luckily as i took out my mortgage in december last year and only paying £566 per month for my flat and took it for 5 years, the scary thing is mine was from a non high street provider at 4.19%, that was seen as a 'high" rate back then, the normal rates were at 3.49%. now even the high street providers are above 6.5%. gonna be tough for those who borrowed in the 0% days especially if their salaries havent gone up, so much money that would go into the economy in normal times is gonna be used to pay towards mortgages, recession incoming

10 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I am currently basking in paying 10p less for my milk. That will offset my impending mortgage hike.

Go food shopping in cyprus if you think here is expensive.  Jesus its **** ridiculous there 

Is this Hunt of a person hoping for deflation?  2 out of 3 news items on Daily Express is actual turd.  The other item is a bit of sport

The one pledge Sunak might actually achieve (even though the government will have had pretty much f all to do with it) if inflation halves to around 5% by the end of the year is going to fall well short of expectations as a lot of people expect that to mean prices will fall and not just rise by less than they have been. It is a lovely bit of karma given he wanted to take credit for something he has little control over.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Starting to see Sunak's point about how people need to be better at maths.

F1dzCDKXoAA5xEu?format=jpg&name=large

The know inflation is still >8%, right? Prices are still rising, but slightly less fast. Costs are still rising by more than (aside from this year) they have since 1982. 

Either they are idiots, or they know their readership are idiots. 

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

The know inflation is still >8%, right? Prices are still rising, but slightly less fast. Costs are still rising by more than (aside from this year) they have since 1982. 

Either they are idiots, or they know their readership are idiots. 

I genuinely think the majority of people think that reducing inflation means reducing prices.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I genuinely think the majority of people think that reducing inflation means reducing prices.

Not quite a majority, but a plurality - as per the survey shown in that other Tweet. 

Edited by ml1dch

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Not quite a majority, but a plurality - as per the survey shown in that other Tweet. 

Tbh that question and the options are quite confusing. I’m not surprised the results are a mess.

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Tbh that question and the options are quite confusing. I’m not surprised the results are a mess.

Are they? Seems quite straightforward to me

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

Are they? Seems quite straightforward to me

I think it could be clearer. 
For example they mention prices next year, when next year? It probably means January but doesn’t say specifically. It just says next year. Maybe it’ll go negative like some are concerned about in the US.

Also, the inflation number for January ‘24 will be based off whatever the figure was in January ‘23, not what the price is now in July ‘23.

Inflation could go up between December ‘23 and January ‘24 but still be lower than todays inflation figure.

I know what the simple answer is but they are putting together different bits of data from different places hence the potential for confusion.

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I think the question is set out to see if people understand inflation, and what happens if inflation goes down, nothing more as far as I can see.

I agree, they could have made it a simpler test though and we’d have seen a much clearer snapshot of how many people understand how inflation works.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I don't know about majority, but it's definitely a mistake that's often made. Someone on this very forum made the mistake in another thread that if the NHS got a payrise that was higher than inflation after inflation falls then their pay would have gone up more.

But yeah I've heard plenty of people talk about prices going down. Some prices will go down, but not because inflation has dropped

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â