The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

Just now, Dante_Lockhart said:

We're a family of 3 and do probably 2 'big' shops a month which includes cleaning products, essentials, toiletries etc... About £200 a time. Inbetween we just pick up what we need to top up on i.e. bread, milk etc.. I'd estimate we spend about £550 a month on shopping on average.

Similar for us, I’d say £500-£550 per month.

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Quick question, what would you class as an average monthly food spend for a family of four excluding booze? 

I spend over £100 now for myself. A family of four must be looking at over £350 at least without booze and being careful with your money.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Quick question, what would you class as an average monthly food spend for a family of four excluding booze? 

Does the family of 4 include 2 teenage males one of which is in a sports team?

If the answer is yes, my calculator doesn’t go up that far.

I think a year ago when we were a 4, we were over £400 a month. So my punt would be £500?

• Thanks 1

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I think a year ago when we were a 4, we were over £400 a month. So my punt would be £500?

Yes, exactly same a 16-year-old and a 18 year-old who both play for football teams and five aside teams regularly

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

Yes, exactly same a 16-year-old and a 18 year-old who both play for football teams and five aside teams regularly

Thoughts and prayers, not even Phil Schofield could fill them. And he’s got lots of money for food.

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

£800+ going by today's greedflation.

Plus the factors of what meals/food you buy and what supermarket you use.

The way the worlds going and cost of living it does make you wonder if people will think twice about having kids as its so hard with keeping up with living adding kids with all the costs that come with them makes it even more challenging 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The way the worlds going and cost of living it does make you wonder if people will think twice about having kids as its so hard with keeping up with living adding kids with all the costs that come with them makes it even more challenging 

I see we're already making savings on the punctuation.... ;) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I've given this long and careful thought, and it has to be medical experiments for the lot of you.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

As a matter of interest, do parents pass on inflation by way of their kids' keep?

Or, do young adults live entirely buckshee these days?

35 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

£800+ going by today's greedflation.

Plus the factors of what meals/food you buy and what supermarket you use.

We've got 4 kids, I'm spending well over £1k a month on food. A normal food shop would have been about £200, the last one was £380.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

£400 a month excluding eating out and takeaways. That also excludes other essential shopping such as toiletries, cleaning products, etc.

£600 a month if you just mean the total supermarket spend. 

3 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

As a matter of interest, do parents pass on inflation by way of their kids' keep?

Or, do young adults live entirely buckshee these days?

We never did ‘keep’. Never asked them for keep, but also weren’t exactly lavish with pocket money, they had their own pocket money jobs from the classic paper round, to TV and film extras (£45 a day and all the lasagne you can eat). 

We’ve still got some costs, I think every phone contract is still in my name, we have Netflix so they can use it, if we visit we do a supermarket run. All the usual stuff.

But overall, what had basically been 4 adults in the house now reducing to 2 adults, well that’s had a very pleasant impact on finances just when food and energy have gone nuts. We had some very fortunate timing there.

• Thanks 1

Depends on many factors - particularly the age of the children.  We've got two under 6 and probably spend around £500 a month on food/house essentials.  Have changed to shopping to Aldi/Lidl a lot (not exclusively though, by any means) over the last couple of years which has saved a ton of money to be honest.

I feel sorry for people about to come out of fixed term mortgages.  They're going to be utterly ****.

• Like 2

2023 and 2024 are going to be brutal on the mortgage front.

It was a realisation that has been lurking for a number of years “what if interest rates get back to their historical norms?”

People ignored the risk and upgraded the car.

• Like 2

Never charged my daughter a penny for living at home and for reasons outlined elsewhere she lives with us now and she is 34. I wouldnt dream of taking money off her but thats me. 

The family shop, thats 3 adults and a child runs to about 600 a month, that excludes booze, toiletries and toilet tissue. Booze on top of that is fairly significant.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Just remember whilst we're all getting poorer, a select few are getting richer.

Real wages have dropped very little in the last year as wage increases have only been slightly behind inflation. Figure 3 from ons below

Average weekly earnings in Great Britain - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

Those who get richer during inflation are those who have large amounts of debt, so anything leverage like owning property etc.. as inflation is higher than the interest they pay

46 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Depends on many factors - particularly the age of the children.  We've got two under 6 and probably spend around £500 a month on food/house essentials.  Have changed to shopping to Aldi/Lidl a lot (not exclusively though, by any means) over the last couple of years which has saved a ton of money to be honest.

I feel sorry for people about to come out of fixed term mortgages.  They're going to be utterly ****.

Got about 15 months left. Fully expect a big jump even if inflation drops a little bit before then.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â