The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think 5 Guys is the biggest rip off going.

The fries are pretty good and the burger is a bit better than standard but not for the price, nowhere near worth the price.

Nando’s the same. It’s an over-priced KFC. Why do people go there more than once?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The fries are pretty good and the burger is a bit better than standard but not for the price, nowhere near worth the price.

Fair enough. Agree about the price, but I will say it tasted great. It was just like regular burger joint food, but with good quality ingredients. The tomatoes and onions were just...tastier.

That said it could not compare with the mighty GBK, which (to keep it on topic) I can also not afford, haha.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nando’s the same. It’s an over-priced KFC. Why do people go there more than once?

I must admit I don't 'get' Nandos, but they have an almost religious following, so I'm willing to admit that maybe I'm in the wrong there.

Edit: but I'm not wrong about religion.

Edited by HKP90

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Why do people go there more than once?

Never been, never intend to. Took one look at the menu when it first appeared and.... chicken in a sauce is something we can and regularly do cook at home

Same with burgers, never eat them out, just do them at home, they way we like them

If I go out for food, I want it to be something I can't do at home, same reason I rarely go to Italian restaurants

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yes, yes this.

The first time I ever went there was because we'd won some tickets for a "free" meal.

The free was just a main chicken whatever with no sides or drinks.  By the time they had been added to the bill it was about twice the price we could have gone to KFC for and really wasn't any better.

I think I've been twice more since but the kinds would live in there given a chance.  I absolutely don't understand it. 

Is it a case of Emperors Clothes?  These places have built up such a social media frenzy people just can't see them for what they actually are?

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, yes this.

The first time I ever went there was because we'd won some tickets for a "free" meal.

The free was just a main chicken whatever with no sides or drinks.  By the time they had been added to the bill it was about twice the price we could have gone to KFC for and really wasn't any better.

I think I've been twice more since but the kinds would live in there given a chance.  I absolutely don't understand it. 

Is it a case of Emperors Clothes?  These places have built up such a social media frenzy people just can't see them for what they actually are?

I always put it down to huge swathes of the population not knowing what good food actually is, because they eat shite at home too. It always astonishes me what quite a large proportion of people put in their supermarket trolleys. Huge amounts of junk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I always put it down to huge swathes of the population not knowing what good food actually is, because they eat shite at home too. It always astonishes me what quite a large proportion of people put in their supermarket trolleys. Huge amounts of junk

Yeah, yea..me too

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah i agree. Thw food isnt bad but it doesn't have anything "wow" about it.

Im not a huge fan of their fries either.

As for nandos they are the biggest rip off going. The food portion sizes are smaller every year and the prices go up. Yes the sauces are mice but you can buy the sauce from super market or make your own.

The wife loves nandos and we had some friends over the states so she suggested one of the days take them nandos. Although they didnt complain much you could tell they didnt think much of ut

As @bickster said its amazing how people dont know good quality food and just settle for shit.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

As for nandos they are the biggest rip off going. The food portion sizes are smaller every year and the prices go up. Yes the sauces are mice but you can buy the sauce from super market or make your own.

The wife loves nandos and we had some friends over the states so she suggested one of the days take them nandos. Although they didnt complain much you could tell they didnt think much of ut

As @bickster said its amazing how people dont know good quality food and just settle for shit.

TBH from the time we first had kids, our priorities for eating out changed from 'where can I get the nicest food' to 'where will the damage my children cause to the furniture be unobtrusive'. 

We started eating at TGIs a bit more. There is always shit being thrown around in there. They have a motorbike inside for god sake.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Someone needs to contact the Foods Standards Agency.  That's surely illegal!

• Haha 4

I went to Nandos once as part of a work meal and I couldnt believe that was it, is this it? I didnt see the attraction, an overpriced harvester with canteen style ordering. Never been back, dont intend to. 

As for 5 Guys, if I can, I will take on 5 guys any time of the day. Absolutely love them.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

£20 wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t for the fact I have to multiply the cost of everything I buy by 4 for the rest of the family. The children are now eating full sized meals.

We went to a local pub for a meal the other day, just under £60 for 4 normal meals and 4 pepsi’s (no starters, no desserts).

We used to eat out a lot but it’s just so expensive now. 

Totally agree with this and I feel your pain. On holiday at Easter, we went for a curry at a standard curry house (Me, Mrs F and our two kids, ages 8 and 11).

Poppadoms and pickle tray as a starter, four different curries, one rice, two naan’s and a round of soft drinks.  £80!

Any place where we add starters and desserts to our meal and we’re looking at £100 plus.

It’s nice to go out to eat on holiday but it’s a killer when paying for four. Takeaway is cheaper but now looking at £30 plus for that, especially when we’re in Devon or Cornwall. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Xann said:

Butter's come down 10p - Vote Tory!

Have you not seen the churn in their vote? It's spread across the whole nation. Tory melts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As an individual in possession of an office credit card and parking my car in Westfield and having to walk passed the 5Guys place to get to the car at the end of the day, yes I have availed myself of their burgers and they are terrific.

Would I buy one with my own money? Not a chance.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â