The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

They could easily give half of their profits to everyone in the uk to contribute to their bills if they wanted to and still have money for themselves.

Its a **** joke. I think one day someone who is desperate and frustrated  is going to take it out on these fat cats who are just destroying peoples will to live as they cant afford it

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Chuffed to bits for Centrica who even in these tough times have managed to triple their profits.

Centrica's shares have been in decline since their peak in 2017, and even now they are still recovering from the low of 2020.

Investors don't seem to see long-term value in them despite the latest profits.

Dividends must have been particularly low for the past five years.

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Centrica's shares have been in decline since their peak in 2017, and even now they are still recovering from the low of 2020.

Investors don't seem to see long-term value in them despite the latest profits.

Dividends must have been particularly low for the past five years.

Fair play to them, glad they could finally catch a break. Only £1 Billion profit last year, they must have been getting quite concerned.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is a well known satirical account. (Mikey Take)

Nah it's the former Conservative MP for Dorset East.

Okay maybe I should have qualified my post by indicating I was aware of it.  I do enjoy how many people try to argue with him on Twitter.

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

Wasn’t one of Musk’s pledges to ban, or at least make very clear which Twitter accounts are parody’s? 

No not really, that was about parodying real people. Sir Michael Take is not real.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

They should be, because gas is going to get made obsolete, effectively. Cost, climate, environment.

If only there was some way of converting £3.3 Billion profit in to diversifying their product range.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

So can anyone explain the difference between revenue, operating income, and net income?

Revenue  = amount of money incoming, before any deductions

Operating income  = revenue - operating expenses

Net income  = also deduct taxes and interest payments and other costs.

21 minutes ago, blandy said:

Revenue  = amount of money incoming, before any deductions

Operating income  = revenue - operating expenses

Net income  = also deduct taxes and interest payments and other costs.

Thanks for that, which confirms what I suspected.

It seems that the MSM are winding up the public about how much Centrica are raking in as profit.

According to Wiki their Net Income = £0.636bn from assets amounting to £29bn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrica

If my conclusion is correct it suggests that the media are redirecting public concern away from the political causes of the crippling price-hike.

On 29/09/2022 at 08:59, delboy54 said:

Can anyone give me a clear answer to the reason why years ago getting a mortgage was tied to your earning of 3 x salary, this "rule" was seemingly binned. It seemed a very sensible way of people being able to borrow "sensible" and affordable amounts and seemed to keep housing esp for first time buyers at affordable prices.

This link of 3 x salary seemed to work well.....didnt it?

Because house prices continued to rise and rise, where as salaries stagnated, many actually having year on year pay cuts due to pay rises (if any), being lower than inflation.

For example, due to poor, or no pay rises over the last 10 years, i have probably had a actual pay cut of 10-15% when pay rise vs inflation is taken in to account (ie: a 1% pay rise, when inflation is 3.5%, is a real terms 2.5% paycut - generally speaking, i guess many are in this boat).

Average house price in England is 2010 was something like 175k, in 2019 the avg house price in England was 244k, so whats that, a 68% increase in 9 years?, where as i would guess wages for the average person have either stagnated in that time, or some may have even had a real terms drop of between 1% and 25%+?

So in the scenario where Person A gets a 2% pay rise for 9 years straight, but inflation is 3.5% for each of those years, broadly speaking they had a real time pay cut of 13.5% over those 9 years, but in that time house prices went up 68%.

Add this together and the gap between real salary and house prices just keeps getting wider and wider, so the old 3 x salary thing is completely impractical now (ie: take a person on 30k, not many houses out there for 90k).

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Again it kills me to defend them, but British gas profits were 75m, far from the 3.3 billion..

If you want to (you really don't - trust me) see their accounts and the figures etc. then you can view them as a pdf.

They've done exceedingly well, this last year and their share price his risen on the back of these figures. Not sure where the 75m comes from. They raked it in, but accounting has then done its magic. I think via including contracts they have to provide future energy (gas, lecky) of so many units at such and such a price - that's counted, I think, as a Negative and brings the figures down, which is nice for them. Probably needs an accountant to explain the complexities. But essentially their own report says adjusted EBITDA (earnings before tax etc.) measures business performance and they have seen a major leap.

Anyway, here's a snippet

Centrica.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Does it split down how much profit they made by breaking in to disabled people’s houses to install pre pay?

Strangely not. Then again, they wouldn't have made any profit doing that (writes a momentary* arch capitalist).

*just to be briefly pedantic and totally ignore the valid, sarcastic point you make.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â